Author Topic: 43% surcharge on ticket @ ticketfly.com?!? What the...????  (Read 19240 times)

district2020

43% surcharge on ticket @ ticketfly.com?!? What the...????
« on: November 05, 2009, 12:08:52 pm »
 >:(

I was purchasing a ticket this morning to an upcoming 9:30 show on ticketfly.   All was well until I got to the payment screen.  Did a doubletake @ the fees.  Service fee + order processing fee = additional 43% of the ticket price.

!

Mind you, this is a WILL CALL TICKET!

Is it me or this ticketing FAIL?  Anyone?  Bueller?

(Ticket was $20, surcharges were almost $9, FYI)

MonkeyPants

Re: 43% surcharge on ticket @ ticketfly.com?!? What the...????
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:11:04 pm »
we have a whole separate thread about ticketfly already

these surcharges aren't any different from what tickets.com charges for 9:30 club tickets now.  They've been outrageous for awhile.
PANTS

Driveway

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 12:23:06 pm »
Well, 9:30 will lose in the end if people stop going to the shows...  I hope this is a 'kink' that will be worked out.  I mean, I don't think the club has formally announced ticketfly yet, so give them a chance.

district2020

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 12:35:40 pm »
I'd LOVE to give them a chance...without an additional 43% tacked onto the ticket.  Mind you, I would be paying for the ticket, PLUS an additional 43% of the ticket. 

I was trying to purchase one ticket to La Roux.  In fact, I was getting all my friends to buy tickets.  Huge HUGE fan.  But when I saw this, I actually stopped and emailed/facebooked my friends telling them that I was no longer going to buy a ticket. 

43%!!!  Will call!

Can you imagine yourself going to a movie or a play or a sportint event & being required to pay an additional 43% for event?   How is this okay?

hutch

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »
I'd LOVE to give them a chance...without an additional 43% tacked onto the ticket.  Mind you, I would be paying for the ticket, PLUS an additional 43% of the ticket. 

I was trying to purchase one ticket to La Roux.  In fact, I was getting all my friends to buy tickets.  Huge HUGE fan.  But when I saw this, I actually stopped and emailed/facebooked my friends telling them that I was no longer going to buy a ticket. 

43%!!!  Will call!

Can you imagine yourself going to a movie or a play or a sportint event & being required to pay an additional 43% for event?   How is this okay?

Dude get a clue and buy them at the box and your ticket service fee is $1 measly dollar.

district2020

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 01:13:36 pm »
A clue?  Okay.  What about those that can't easily make it to 930 club and can only get them online or by calling?  Those with mobility impairments?  Those living outside downtown?  Those that don't have the time to hike over there?  I am lucky and go on my lunch break to get tickets.   But 43%?  You can actually justify that hutch?  Put it in this context: we pay a 20% tip at a restaurant for good service.   43%?  That better be damn good service.

43%!!!  Will call!

Dude get a clue and buy them at the box and your ticket service fee is $1 measly dollar.

district2020

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
Also, the email blast conveniently left out the segment that indicated you can buy the tickets at the boxoffice.  I almost always get my tickets at the box office.

For loyal readers of our email blasts only, we list yet-to-be-advertised or "Soft Sale" shows at the 9:30 Club:

The following show is on sale through Tickets.com:

Sa 12/26 Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers

The following shows are on sale through Ticketfly.com:

Sa 1/2 Gogol Bordello

Su 1/3 Gogol Bordello

Th 1/7 City and Colour

Sa 1/30 WP Presents Tea Leaf Green w/ Elmwood

W 2/10 La Roux

W 3/24 Miike Snow On Sale Saturday, November 7 at 10am

43%!!!  Will call!

nkotb

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2009, 01:25:30 pm »
This is the first I've heard of these "ticket surcharges" and I'm interested to know more...

James Ford

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 01:31:25 pm »
This is the first I've heard of these "ticket surcharges" and I'm interested to know more...

This is the first I've heard of this "La Roux" and I'm pretty sure I'm not interested in hearing more...

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2009, 01:33:11 pm »
That's Julian's line.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2009, 04:23:44 pm »

43%!!!  Will call!

Its not about whether its ok or fair or anything like that..its just the way it is.. until consumers do something to band together and react to this monstrosity nothing will change..

You have a problem with ticket charges? Buy at box.. too bad if you don't live close by..do not feed the monster.. go to more shows that try to limit this crap.. write Seth a letter...DO SOMETHING.. consumers have all taken it lying down for years and they will just continue to hike charges infinitum..

Also dont' be so naive... I  mean a part of these charges goes back to the 930 club.. thats why these things continue: because the ticket sellers are paying off the venues... I've seen statements at a venue and you may be surprised but the ticketmaster "rebate" which goes back to the venue sometimes makes the difference between a show being "profitable" and not..And ultimately part you could argue goes back to artist too... The problem is that the face value ticket price no longer reflects the actual ticket price... We need to move to a single all in ticket price.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 04:25:21 pm by hutch »

James Ford

« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2009, 04:34:18 pm »
I say keep the system as is.

The people dumb enough to live in DC with its higher rent, mortgages, and taxes should get some kind of break. That break being living close enough to the club so that they can swing by and buy service fee free tickets.

Shadrach

« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2009, 05:01:17 pm »
As someone has already mentioned, the service and handling fees are no different for Ticketfly then Tickets.com.

Also I think it's important to keep this in perspective. Of course if you buy one ticket the fees will seem larger and be a bigger percentage, but for example if you were to buy 4 tickets to Gogol Bordello your cost of the tickets would be $120.00 and your total charges associated would come to $30.00, which is only 25% in service charges rather than the 43% mentioned.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »
I say keep the system as is.

The people dumb enough to live in DC with its higher rent, mortgages, and taxes should get some kind of break. That break being living close enough to the club so that they can swing by and buy service fee free tickets.

Just to confirm, this is Charlie Nakatestes/Rhett, right?
(o|o)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2009, 07:07:10 pm »
Hoya, he won't confirm it but, yes, he is.

He still thinks it's Halloween and hopes he can keep hiding behind that mask that everyone else sees right through. Even Seth and the Mod squad.  :D