Author Topic: The Wrens Friday at the BC  (Read 4619 times)

Thousand Made-Up Loves

The Wrens Friday at the BC
« on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:34 pm »
Let me just say up front: one of life's greatest injustices is the Wrens not getting out enough. This show Friday and their 20th anny shows in Hoboken (Meadowlands front to back: hello summer 2005?) are going be outstanding. I worked at a deli the summer before I graduated from college and I used to drive around making deliveries while singing to all the songs. The only time I've seen them live was 2005 at the the formerly known as Intonation Festival in Chicago. I can only imagine how much better they'll be in the BC Friday.

"Go thank yourself for nothing, it's really all you're good for." Epic shit.

Mabdul Doobakus

Re: The Wrens Friday at the BC
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 11:04:59 pm »
I'm super excited for this show.  Meadowlands has got to be in my Top 5 favorite albums.  I listened to it so many times in the Summer of 2004.  I was travelling in Asia with some people, and it was pretty much my refuge when I got sick of the people I was with.  Which was fairly often.

This band is so underappreciated, though it's kinda their fault, since they disappear for such long stretches.  Anyway, I consider this show a rare treat.  And I can't wait to hear some new stuff.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 11:54:30 pm »
Nothing could top their Backstage show, so many years ago... whenever that was. Incredible! Then again, maybe Friday's show will.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:46 am »
I think their metro cafe show was better. Although no Meadowlands songs.

Nothing could top their Backstage show, so many years ago... whenever that was. Incredible! Then again, maybe Friday's show will.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 08:35:57 am »
Let me just say up front: one of life's greatest injustices is the Wrens not getting out enough. This show Friday and their 20th anny shows in Hoboken (Meadowlands front to back: hello summer 2005?) are going be outstanding. I worked at a deli the summer before I graduated from college and I used to drive around making deliveries while singing to all the songs. The only time I've seen them live was 2005 at the the formerly known as Intonation Festival in Chicago. I can only imagine how much better they'll be in the BC Friday.

"Go thank yourself for nothing, it's really all you're good for." Epic shit.

Will you be hitting Wonderland Ballroom for some pre-show beers?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:07:11 am »
Let me just say up front: one of life's greatest injustices is the Wrens not getting out enough.
Yeah, that and ethnic cleansing.

nkotb

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2009, 10:14:09 am »
POTW

Let me just say up front: one of life's greatest injustices is the Wrens not getting out enough.

K8teebug

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2009, 10:17:03 am »
I have seen them a bunch, and they're usually pretty good.  Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.  Still love them though!

MonkeyPants

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 01:33:02 pm »
I have seen them a bunch, and they're usually pretty good.  Sometimes good, sometimes not so good.  Still love them though!

I only started seeing them 4 years ago, but I've never seen a bad show from them.  One of my favorite live bands in the world.  They've been both recording new stuff and practicing old stuff, so I'm sure I'm totally unprepared for what they're bringing on Friday.  SO excited.
PANTS

Bags

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »
I agree with Jaguar -- that show was AMAZING. I am so ready for this show -- Woo hoo!!!!!!

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 03:52:04 pm »
POTW

i'd upgrade it to POTM.
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2009, 09:45:28 am »
Yeah, that backstage show was the best.  They haven't been nearly as awesome live since then.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 03:34:16 pm »
So how was this show?

MonkeyPants

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2009, 11:25:21 am »
I thought it was fantastic, although it was more like an open rehearsal than previous shows I've seen of theirs.  They were trying out a bunch of new songs, and didn't even play She Sends Kisses or Boys You Won't, which are two of my faves.  The new songs sounded great, though, and they brought out some super old songs, too.  And contrary to what one person said to me, I thought the sound was much better than it's been for the past several shows I've been to at the Black Cat.
PANTS

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2009, 12:00:47 pm »
That one person also thinks that RNRH's sound is ok. So based on that, we kind of know how valuable his opinion is.
احمد