Author Topic: LaCie LaCinema HD 1tb any good?  (Read 3585 times)

thirsty moore

LaCie LaCinema HD 1tb any good?
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:55:22 pm »
I want to play video_ts/vob on my tv. Will this device do that well?

Chip Chanko

Re: LaCie LaCinema HD 1tb any good?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:24 pm »

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:46:53 pm »
Though I've never owned one to experience this, I have read and heard way, way too many reports of LaCie harddrives crashing. Go with the Western Digital or Maxtor, whichever seems to fit your needs most.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »
Though I've never owned one to experience this, I have read and heard way, way too many reports of LaCie harddrives crashing. Go with the Western Digital or Maxtor, whichever seems to fit your needs most.

I agree.

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 12:22:25 am »
Thanks all. I'm mac based and will have a time capsule to be hooking up to the WD drive. Currently looking into how to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:00:02 am »
I've never really run any of these solutions at home myself. The WD is just something I've kept my eye on if I was thinking of going that way. Currently I have a Tivo HD which I can "push" video files to if I want to view them, although I take care of most of my viewing needs via the tivo, fios, and netflix.

Are you backing up DVDs to VOB files and want to watch them? If you don't mind going file by file I think you can just use a usb flash drive to bring things over to the WD as you want to watch them.

The nice thing about the LaCie is that it has a built-in hard drive so you could hook it up to the mac and copy everything to it and conceivably it should work without any meddling from there. For $100 more, maybe that would be easier.

Both are networkable, which means either getting a powerline ethernet device or USB wifi solution. I use a powerline ethernet hookup with my tivo which works pretty well. But this adds more $$ to the cost.

Maybe poke around here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=39

thirsty moore

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 01:30:42 am »
Thanks Chip. I'm trying to back up my dvd collection so I don't have to use the DVD player. Just looking for a viable alternative that keeps the integrity of the original DVD.

wml7

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 10:58:59 am »
Thanks all. I'm mac based and will have a time capsule to be hooking up to the WD drive. Currently looking into how to do that. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears.

I'm a mac guy too and when I got my mac I had all freaking kinds of questions.  macrumors.com is a great site about macs and any questions you have they can answer them in the forums  ;D

thirsty moore

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:26 pm »
I saw a nice Western Digital player that I could use with my external usb drive. It plays VOB which is good.

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 11:43:29 am »
I bought the WD TV Live last night. Pretty happy with it so far.