Author Topic: Service charges a little high?  (Read 32788 times)

mr_goodbomb

Service charges a little high?
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:18:30 pm »
I went to buy tickets for a show that happens to land right near by birthday (the same performer played here last year almost on the same date, but I missed ticket sales). So, I wanted to get tickets early. I'm from WV, so buying them at the box office isn't practical. I remember when I was in middle and high school and service charges for ticket sale venues online with WillCall were a dollar, maybe, sometimes as high as 5, and I thought, considering that it may even be more convenient for the venue that way, that 5 dollars was a bit steep. I tried to pick up two tickets and a parking pass for the show. The service fees were 4.75 EACH for the tickets, another 4 for parking, and somehow, the total was an added 17 dollars for all service fees. That's funny, but I thought I was already paying enough for the tickets and added parking cost. Does this seem pretty excessive to anyone else? If I wanted to see a show that cost me 70 dollars for 2 people, I'd go to Nissan.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Service charges a little high?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 06:20:09 pm »
How much would it cost you in time and gas to drive from WV to the 930 Club to buy the tickets? Oh, significantly more money? Shut up then.

walkonby

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:45:37 pm »
unlike julian, who's taste of teething silver must have left him quite the corrosive tongue, i will admit that yes the fees are higher and rights to complain may be there in the air to feel free enough to voice them . . . but i'm still an ole softy to the fact that this internet thing is fast and convenient and makes getting tickets to shows for folks such as us far from the easy go lucky cares of everyone in peacoats with concrete eyes and scowls upon their faces, that much more the simpler.  so in a nut shell, i accept the fees and their current value.  i even enjoi ticketmaster for their rerelease fun where certain dates and times can score you fantastic throw backs.  maybe i'm one of the ones that the companies depend on to make money from with my "so-called" idealisms, but everyone's got to make money to make money stay money in a country controlled by money.  just ask julian.

hutch

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 08:38:21 pm »
Its a ripoff.

Even Seth Hurwitz admitted on another thread that one should think of the total cost.. that the cost for the show was the total cost.

If this is so why doesn't Seth give us a that total cost as the ticket price including all the added on crap instead of making it look like a ticket costs X when its really X+

Be transparent.. Don't pretend the ticket costs X when it really costs X+20%

The worse thing about it is that some of the ticket charges go to the venues so its not that the ticket charges are paying just for the "service".. They are paying for the service provision and the kickback to the venue.

Well what the fuck???

People who say this is no big thing ought to realize that until they complain and organize some sort of opposition the ticket charges will continue to go up as a percentage of the ticket..

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 10:46:25 pm »
If this is so why doesn't Seth give us a that total cost as the ticket price including all the added on crap instead of making it look like a ticket costs X when its really X+
Uh... because Seth doesn't own the ticketing agency.

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 11:05:51 pm »
How much would it cost you in time and gas to drive from WV to the 930 Club to buy the tickets? Oh, significantly more money? Shut up then.

How intelligent and mature of a response. I'm sorry, I didn't notice that when I woke up from a nap, I cam to in 1997, where the internet is new and astounding and purchasing things online is so utterly bizarre and space-aged to me that I feel no remorse paying almost the price of another ticket for the convenience of pre-ordering, despite the fact that it costs the company nothing extra to perform such a service, and even makes things MORE convenient just them, and not just for the ticket buyer. Thank you for reminding me, I'll set my calendar back.

This might take time, it seems my computer doesn't go back that far. I'll have to downgrade to Windows 95.

Be transparent.. Don't pretend the ticket costs X when it really costs X+20%

While I agree with everything you said, the service charges ($17 for 2x$20 tickets and a $10 parking fee) are actually closer to 35%.

Uh... because Seth doesn't own the ticketing agency.

If Seth is any form of manager for the establishment, and he feels for the customers and agrees that these charges are excessive, then he should work with a company that doesn't charge as much. Very simple stuff.

I assume your post count is as high as it is because your comments are as useless and nonsensical as those presented here.

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 11:29:12 pm »
Look kid. Don't get snippy with me. You're the one coming here and rehashing an argument for the five hundredth time with the same logical fallacies and inaccuracies. I love how every one of you who bitch about ticket charges think you're the first one to do it. No way, in your mind, could this have been discussed ad naseum, no... you're the one who's going to bring it to people's attention and get changes made.

Fact remains, Seth has heard this a trillion times and has said he does not care. He just changed ticketing agents (effective January 2010) and said reducing ticketing fees was not his motivation at all. You will not get them changed. Period, end debate.

And the fact remains, for you (and for most people) buying online for that convenience fee is your cheapest option. In the old pre-internet days, it would have cost you markedly more time and money in gas driving to the venue to purchase tickets ahead of the concert date. Then ticketing agents come along and save you, possibly, hundreds of dollars when you factor in the cost of your time in driving to the venue and pass along a convenience fee of maybe 15% of WHAT IT WOULD COST YOU OTHERWISE TO GET TO THE BOX OFFICE AND BUY TICKETS and you complain about the fee. Ticketing fees are too high? In relation to what? They're pennies on the dollar in comparison to your only other option.

I also love your intelligent, erudite claim that printing and mailing tickets cost the ticketing agent "nothing... to perform such a service." O RLY? You're absolutely right that servers and software to handle credit card transactions, credit card fees, customer service, custom printers with the ability to print holograms, watermarks, and other things making counterfeiting harder and mailing out tickets cost nothing. NOTHING. Pure, 100% profit.

Lets just hope your post count never climbs above 2 because your comments are clearly never going to rise above the level of the useless and nonsensical ones presented here.

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 12:08:22 am »
Look kid. Don't get snippy with me. You're the one coming here and rehashing an argument for the five hundredth time with the same logical fallacies and inaccuracies. I love how every one of you who bitch about ticket charges think you're the first one to do it. No way, in your mind, could this have been discussed ad naseum, no... you're the one who's going to bring it to people's attention and get changes made.

Fact remains, Seth has heard this a trillion times and has said he does not care. He just changed ticketing agents (effective January 2010) and said reducing ticketing fees was not his motivation at all. You will not get them changed. Period, end debate.

And the fact remains, for you (and for most people) buying online for that convenience fee is your cheapest option. In the old pre-internet days, it would have cost you markedly more time and money in gas driving to the venue to purchase tickets ahead of the concert date. Then ticketing agents come along and save you, possibly, hundreds of dollars when you factor in the cost of your time in driving to the venue and pass along a convenience fee of maybe 15% of WHAT IT WOULD COST YOU OTHERWISE TO GET TO THE BOX OFFICE AND BUY TICKETS and you complain about the fee. Ticketing fees are too high? In relation to what? They're pennies on the dollar in comparison to your only other option.

I also love your intelligent, erudite claim that printing and mailing tickets cost the ticketing agent "nothing... to perform such a service." O RLY? You're absolutely right that servers and software to handle credit card transactions, credit card fees, customer service, custom printers with the ability to print holograms, watermarks, and other things making counterfeiting harder and mailing out tickets cost nothing. NOTHING. Pure, 100% profit.

Lets just hope your post count never climbs above 2 because your comments are clearly never going to rise above the level of the useless and nonsensical ones presented here.

Hmm, maybe it's been discussed so much because it's a valid issue? It seems the only person so far who's fighting to the teeth for its practice is you. Do you somehow profit from it, friend?

If the manager doesn't have an interest or concern with this issue, he should know that he is losing business. Maybe when the venue is in decline, and people stop traveling for shows because of the added costs ON TOP of the already taxing price of travel and leisure events in this economy, he'll be concerned.

Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue, and judging by your childish and petty presentation of your argument, it wouldn't surprise me if you did based on your clearly low level of intellect, but your "15%" and "pennies on the dollar" is an extremely incorrect statement. The $17 surcharge compared to the cost of the other three items makes it a 34% markup.

No, in the "pre-internet days," people would get to the show earlier to purchase them, because generally, those from any distance wouldn't travel to get tickets early and there would still be limited access available the day of. Now, because of people who DON'T say anything about the issue of markup and excessive service fees, tickets WILL sell out, and they may not be available at the door by simply arriving early. For all your claims of "logical fallacies," you certainly seem less than capable of logic.

This isn't a debate on ticket prices. a $20 tickets is perfectly reasonable. A surcharge costly 34% of that isn't.

As for the costs of ticketing, WillCall doesn't ship. Shipping tickets is unnessicary. If someone will be attending the event, then they can pick them up, and that in itself costs the ticket distributor nothing. The computers, the ATM processing, ticket creation, those devices are there already. How do you think this website, or the business as a whole, is managed, presale processes aside? How do you think things are sold and monetary transactions are made AT the venue when physical cash isn't exchanged? No services charges of debit card fees for the customer there. Tickets EXIST and are sold without service charges in person, so how does printing tickets for WillCall cost ANY extra? It doesn't, you say? You're goddamn right it doesn't. And the ticket seller has very little "customer service" to speak of, believe me, I've tried.

It seems post count and intellect have little to do with eachother. Look at yours. I'm sure it's so high because the less time you spend thinking or deducing rational thought, the more you have for typing.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 12:22:21 am »
Maybe you have a reading comprehension issue, and judging by your childish and petty presentation of your argument, it wouldn't surprise me if you did based on your clearly low level of intellect, but your "15%" and "pennies on the dollar" is an extremely incorrect statement. The $17 surcharge compared to the cost of the other three items makes it a 34% markup.
No, again, you're the one with a reading comprehension issue. I said compared to the cost of driving a considerable distance, he ticketing fee is around 15% and pennies on the dollar, NOT in comparison to the cost of a ticket. You live in WV, lets say for arguments sake 3 hours away. Assuming you make even a mere $15 an hour, at your hourly rate, it'd cost you almost $90 round trip plus probably around $30 in gas to get to the box office and buy tickets in advance. That's around $120 to get tickets in advance. INSTEAD, you pay around $15 for the fees on two tickets. Seems pretty reasonable considering your alternative.

No, in the "pre-internet days," people would get to the show earlier to purchase them, because generally, those from any distance wouldn't travel to get tickets early and there would still be limited access available the day of. Now, because of people who DON'T say anything about the issue of markup and excessive service fees, tickets WILL sell out, and they may not be available at the door by simply arriving early. For all your claims of "logical fallacies," you certainly seem less than capable of logic.
This is laughable. "Concerts never sold out pre-internet. There were always tickets available day-of for every concert in the 1980s. And it could be that way again... if only we organize a protest of ticketing agents on a venue's website!!"

This isn't a debate on ticket prices. a $20 tickets is perfectly reasonable. A surcharge costly 34% of that isn't.
Except it is reasonable. Comparing a CONVENIENCE fee to the cost of the ticket is extremely non sequitor. You should be comparing it to the level of convenience it affords you, which for someone living in WV, several hours from the box office, is considerable, and far in excess of the dollar amount you're charged as I've pointed out numerous times.

Shipping tickets is unnessicary. If someone will be attending the event, then they can pick them up, and that in itself costs the ticket distributor nothing.
You're right. No one could ever want their tickets in-hand in advance for any reason. You don't want the feature, so no one should have it. Gotcha.

The computers, the ATM processing, ticket creation, those devices are there already. How do you think this website, or the business as a whole, is managed, presale processes aside? How do you think things are sold and monetary transactions are made AT the venue when physical cash isn't exchanged? No services charges of debit card fees for the customer there. Tickets EXIST and are sold without service charges in person, so how does printing tickets for WillCall cost ANY extra? It doesn't, you say? You're goddamn right it doesn't. And the ticket seller has very little "customer service" to speak of, believe me, I've tried.
I can't even go into detail about how wrong this is. The box office (which Seth sells tickets at for a $1 fee in advance) is staffed and operated at a loss. Tickets.com is a completely separate entity. Their existance does cost them money. They have an infrastructure to provide people a service, and it does cost them money. Selling tickets costs tickets.com more money then not selling tickets. They have to not only recoup that, but make a profit. Just because you picked the ticket up at will call doesn't mean the infrastructure behind the ticketing cost nothing. The fact that you think otherwise tells me you're an idiot.

Now, I'm going to bed, but please continue talking out of your ass, we like laughing at imbeciles.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 12:27:57 am »
Here are two recent threads where the club owner Seth weighs in on the issue

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19739.0

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19737.0

These are only the tip of the iceburg in terms of discussion over Ticket Surcharges on this forum.
T.Rex

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 12:41:18 am »
No, again, you're the one with a reading comprehension issue. I said compared to the cost of driving a considerable distance, he ticketing fee is around 15% and pennies on the dollar, NOT in comparison to the cost of a ticket. You live in WV, lets say for arguments sake 3 hours away. Assuming you make even a mere $15 an hour, at your hourly rate, it'd cost you almost $90 round trip plus probably around $30 in gas to get to the box office and buy tickets in advance. That's around $120 to get tickets in advance. INSTEAD, you pay around $15 for the fees on two tickets. Seems pretty reasonable considering your alternative.

I like how you just assume that ANYONE in their right mind is going to TAKE OF FUCKING WORK to do things. I don't know what ass-backwards way of life you come from, maybe the Amish or you were raised in slave labor, but the average person DOES have time off work, and CAN do things they need to do in that time without taking a pay hit to do it.

But these simantics aren't the point. The point is, no matter what "convenience" it is, it doesn't COST the venue that much to take your money and save your ticket at the box office as opposed to taking your money AT the box office. The only extra legwork is taking your name and checking your ID. That takes seconds, and this is obvious by how quickly people get through a line at WillCall.

This is laughable. "Concerts never sold out pre-internet. There were always tickets available day-of for every concert in the 1980s. And it could be that way again... if only we organize a protest of ticketing agents on a venue's website!!"

Fantastic job putting words in my mouth, but in the future, when blatantly making a person out to have said something they didn't, you probably shouldn't quote them, kiddo. It's clear that you don't have a logical response, so you resort to childish bullshit. Please, if you have nothing useful to add, step away from the computer. Fresh air might be good for your clearly deprived brain.

Except it is reasonable. Comparing a CONVENIENCE fee to the cost of the ticket is extremely non sequitor. You should be comparing it to the level of convenience it affords you, which for someone living in WV, several hours from the box office, is considerable, and far in excess of the dollar amount you're charged as I've pointed out numerous times.

You keep hammering in this same point, and it keeps getting re-stated, because it's INCORRECT. You have no other leg to stand on than persistence. I suppose, if an idiot says "cat" long enough when it's obviously a mouse, the other person will eventually say "sure, sure, it's a cat, now get the fuck out of my face." Excellent strategy for the weak-minded.

You're right. No one could ever want their tickets in-hand in advance for any reason. You don't want the feature, so no one should have it. Gotcha.

Want it? Maybe. Why, I don't really see the point, but want, sure. Whether they'd be willing to pay an added 34% of their ticket price to get it, given the option, I highly doubt. But people want lots of things, and when you've already paid for them, sure, why the hell not? Fuck, a 34% "service charge" should come with the kind of "service" a "service girl" provides. I'm assuming these don't.

I can't even go into detail about how wrong this is. The box office (which Seth sells tickets at for a $1 fee in advance) is staffed and operated at a loss. Tickets.com is a completely separate entity. Their existance does cost them money. They have an infrastructure to provide people a service, and it does cost them money. Selling tickets costs tickets.com more money then not selling tickets. They have to not only recoup that, but make a profit. Just because you picked the ticket up at will call doesn't mean the infrastructure behind the ticketing cost nothing. The fact that you think otherwise tells me you're an idiot.

It costs the VENUE nothing extra that selling tickets at the DOOR doesn't. THAT is my point. The fact that you choose to completely overlook that and change the intentions of my words proves that you have no logical argument and simply wish to be a mindless dickhead while at the same time "win" something.

Now, I'm going to bed, but please continue talking out of your ass, we like laughing at imbeciles.

I'm assume that "we" is just you, because you're the only person here who sees your view, acting like an illogical, argumentative child.

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:35 am »
Here are two recent threads where the club owner Seth weighs in on the issue

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19739.0

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?topic=19737.0

These are only the tip of the iceburg in terms of discussion over Ticket Surcharges on this forum.

I couldn't assume I am the first to take issue, it is a problem and I am sure many have voice concerns. I can't believe any business owner in their right mind who's concerned with their profit could possibly be willing to let customers leave because of this. I know he's lost anyone who would be interested in attending with me, unless we happen to travel into DC between now and then. Maybe when he starts to feel the hit, he'll change his mind.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 01:13:17 am »
Who you trying to see?

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 02:21:02 am »
Gogol Bordello?
(_|_)

thirsty moore

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 03:02:19 am »
If you don't want to go to the show because of the price, don't. Seth's just trying to keep his club awesome and have great bands continue to play there.