Author Topic: Service charges a little high?  (Read 32855 times)

vansmack

Re: Service charges a little high?
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2009, 06:51:11 pm »
So you didn't buy the tickets right?
I did not, not did any of my friends who planned to go with me for my birthday, and for no other reason than the excess charges.

Good. Then next time, just come to the forum and say "Hey Seth, I didn't buy tickets to a show because the service charges were too high."

You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. 

But if you got your friends to do it too, in harmony maybe, they may think they're both [queer] and they won't change their fee's either.

And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people coming to the forum telling Seth about not buying tickets because of the fees and walking out? They may think it's an organization. 

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day coming here telling Seth that they didn't buy tickets because fo the service charges and walking out?  And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is, the "Seth I Didn't Buy Tickets Because the Service Charges Were Too High Movement."

You could have saved yourself a lot of grief and frustration.  Arguing will get you nowhere.  Organizing, well, now you're on to something....
27>34

Driveway

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2009, 06:52:22 pm »
At the end of the day, Seth & the concert industry don't care at all about our opinions.  They will only care when the money stops coming in.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2009, 07:07:35 pm »
You've yet to mention who you're wanting to see.  Perhaps that would change the entire argument.

What difference does that make? A show is a show. But as if it'll make any different in the agruement, it's City and Colour, which sold out last year, I believe.

Please excuse my ignorance. Is this one band called City And Colour or two bands, one band being City and the other Colour? If one band, I'll pretty much stay on the sidelines of this since I know not a thing about them. If it's two, I don't know a thing about City but definitely count me in your corner for Colour, whom I'd love to see. Somehow, I suspect my luck will fail again and it's just one band called City And Colour.

Sarcasm, dawg.  Of course it's not pertinent.  Other venues would still charge service charges, so that wouldn't be an option either.

They're a part of concerts and ticket buying these days, and that's just how it is.  Right or wrong, they aren't going away any time soon.

This arguement is slightly flawed only for the fact that not all entities charge (or gauge) to the same degrees.

It's the same old story, those who have developed a strong business prescence will max out their costs as far as they can take them regardless of how it affects the consumer. The exception being that they will back down a bit only once their own bottom line is hit. Obviously, not a lot of that happening now in the DC area with a lot of government jobs still holding out.

I've also noticed that the biggest bitchers of those who bitch about the fees are often those who seem to have more money than the rest. To them, it's nothing to throw an extra $20 or so at something while everyone else tries to save face and quietly backs off and out of more and more shows. Again, those who have, will often gladly buy those tickets that the others decide they must forfeit because it's just not in their tighter and tighter budgets. The merchants don't care, nor do they necessarily know, who is actually buying all those tickets, as a ticket sale is a ticket sale regardless of who it was sold to. Bottom line: Nothing will change this until bigger numbers choose not to buy via big fees agencies.

For what it's worth, I don't put much stake in whether the total cost is shown up front or at the end only because, once the transaction is complete, it will still cost me exactly the same. I already know what a scam some of these agencies are running so if I must have a ticket and need to use their service, I expect to get screwed in the process. Shame is, I now see less and less shows because of them and many of these shows were not shows that have sold out... so everyone lost out on a piece of the action.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2009, 07:12:48 pm »
Oh yeah, I know they don't all charge as much.  But, for the most part, they all charge something.

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2009, 07:13:49 pm »
I would define transparency as when the charges are separated

if the ticket was just one price, and you couldn't see the breakdown, that would not be transparent, in my opinion

as far as taking it steps further, and then explaining who makes what out of those different parts of the ticket...I'm sorry, but that's just nobody's business, any more than if you laid out what everyone made at a store you bought something at

listen, when I answer with my "if you don't like it, don't go" type responses...this does not mean we don't appreciate everyone's business...in fact, it's just the opposite...we appreciate our customers that pay a lot of money to see shows, and try and provide them with the best experience possible

but, by all means, bring on the discussions!

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2009, 07:15:43 pm »
So you didn't buy the tickets right?
I did not, not did any of my friends who planned to go with me for my birthday, and for no other reason than the excess charges.

Good. Then next time, just come to the forum and say "Hey Seth, I didn't buy tickets to a show because the service charges were too high."

You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. 

But if you got your friends to do it too, in harmony maybe, they may think they're both [queer] and they won't change their fee's either.

And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people coming to the forum telling Seth about not buying tickets because of the fees and walking out? They may think it's an organization. 

And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day coming here telling Seth that they didn't buy tickets because fo the service charges and walking out?  And friends they may thinks it's a movement.

And that's what it is, the "Seth I Didn't Buy Tickets Because the Service Charges Were Too High Movement."

You could have saved yourself a lot of grief and frustration.  Arguing will get you nowhere.  Organizing, well, now you're on to something....

Alice's Restaurant replaces Food Food.  

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2009, 08:36:09 pm »
Sarcasm, dawg.  Of course it's not pertinent.  Other venues would still charge service charges, so that wouldn't be an option either.

They're a part of concerts and ticket buying these days, and that's just how it is.  Right or wrong, they aren't going away any time soon.

Other venues, however, won't charge THIS HIGH OF FEES. That's the whole point. Service charges are fucking obnoxious, but you're right, everyone charges them. However, they don't charge you for EACH ticket, AND the parking, AND the overall transaction. This case is just a worst case scenario.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »
What other ticketing agencies are you referring to? Other than etix, I know of no major (and calling etix a major is a stretch) ticketing agency that doesn't charge per ticket with a boilerplate per transaction fee. Ticketfly does, tickets.com does, ticketmaster does, livenation does, and all at extremely comparable rates, if not higher in many cases. That's like 95% of the tickets sold in the country right there.

And you don't pay for parking thru 930 Club's ticketing company unless you want to buy a spot in the parking lot.

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2009, 08:44:17 pm »

This is organizing. I'm posting in a public place and making it well-known. I just haven't got my friends to do it because, well, they don't care enough to make an account and say anything. I can assure you, however, that there are several people who wished to attend who will not be doing so now because of those fees.

The only person I argued with was Julian, and I quickly realized that he's just a troll looking for attention.

Somehow, I suspect my luck will fail again and it's just one band called City And Colour.

One band called City and Colour.

Also, I think in unstable times, no one should be throwing away $17 for nothing, which is exactly what avoidable fees like this are. They don't go to the artist, they don't go to the venue, and they don't provide the customer with anything tangible.

I would define transparency as when the charges are separated

if the ticket was just one price, and you couldn't see the breakdown, that would not be transparent, in my opinion

as far as taking it steps further, and then explaining who makes what out of those different parts of the ticket...I'm sorry, but that's just nobody's business, any more than if you laid out what everyone made at a store you bought something at

listen, when I answer with my "if you don't like it, don't go" type responses...this does not mean we don't appreciate everyone's business...in fact, it's just the opposite...we appreciate our customers that pay a lot of money to see shows, and try and provide them with the best experience possible

but, by all means, bring on the discussions!

If you're not making anything extra off the service charges, why are you so unconcerned about how your customers feel about them?

If you are, then why not just make it one price?

Either way, those customers will stop paying "a lot of money to see shows" when you treat them like dogshit, bud. I'll be sure to treat your venue as such the next time I'm there. Thanks.

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45:33 pm »
Either way, those customers will stop paying "a lot of money to see shows" when you treat them like dogshit, bud. I'll be sure to treat your venue as such the next time I'm there. Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 08:51:21 pm by Julian, Certified WEBLEBRITY »

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2009, 08:47:25 pm »
The only person I argued with was Julian, and I quickly realized that he's just a troll looking for attention.
I'm a respected, long-time member of this community. You're a guy who shows up childishly bitching and rehashing the same topic for the 500th time and threatening to treat the people who run this messageboard's venue "as shit," and I'm the troll? OK there guy.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2009, 08:55:56 pm »
Instead of being so hell bent on organizing, why don't you ask a surcharge free question in the FAQ forum as to how tickets are selling.  This way you can decided as to whether or not you can wait until the day of the show to get tickets at the boxoffice.

http://www.930.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

But if you really want to organize, why not buy a bunch of tickets at once that way there is only one processing fee and not several.

Buying parking in advance is not mandatory, if the lot is full there is on street parking.   

So continuing to complain and stay at home the night of the show grumbling or take a risk the show isn't going to sellout in advance.  or pay the fees
T.Rex

mr_goodbomb

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2009, 09:15:34 pm »
I'm a respected, long-time member of this community.

Oh, and p.s. mr_goodbomb - just ignore Julian.  At least that's what the rest of us do....

vansmack

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2009, 09:27:16 pm »
This is organizing. I'm posting in a public place and making it well-known. I just haven't got my friends to do it because, well, they don't care enough to make an account and say anything. I can assure you, however, that there are several people who wished to attend who will not be doing so now because of those fees.

No sir, this is ranting, not organizing, and it's been done hastily to make yourself feel better.  Channel that energy away from a pissing contest with Julian and into converting your friends into being part of your organizing and have them recruit more and see what you accomplish.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2009, 09:29:39 pm »
Let's talk service charges shall we....

In NYC the tickets are $20 in advance + service charges or $25 day of the show...

US $20.00 x 2
Price Details
Convenience Charge
US $4.70 x 2

There maybe a another charge on top of this...

In Florida

Ticket Price
US $20.00 x 2
Price Details
Convenience Charge
US $6.25 x 2

There are two other shows at LiveNation venues so expect similar if not higher fees...
T.Rex