Author Topic: Service charges a little high?  (Read 32802 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Re: Service charges a little high?
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2010, 04:37:01 pm »
Of course they will.

Which will render this thread a giant waste of bandwidth.

By reading your post too quick, thus misreading what you wrote, it caused me to coin a new term for such threads: BITCHWIDTH

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2010, 04:54:59 pm »
you're on a frikken roll today, jag!
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2010, 08:38:01 pm »
EPIC.

The absolute insouciance with which Eddie posts the answer to a question we all know we were spying is truly POTW material.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2010, 11:21:22 pm »
Wow it took 22 words to ask the question, yet hundreds were wasted "taking a stand"...  I have a new favorite forumite, lets hope we get a review of the show...
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2010, 11:25:26 pm »
Mr_Goodfail
احمد

« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2010, 11:36:17 pm »
I have a new favorite forumite, lets hope we get a review of the show...
Let's not get crazy.

Driveway

« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2010, 11:07:20 am »
$20.00 x 1 $4.75 x 1
$4.00
$28.75

No thanks.  looks like i'll be paying my 'service fee' and 'processing charge' to the green line later today.

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »
$20.00 x 1 $4.75 x 1
$4.00
$28.75

No thanks.  looks like i'll be paying my 'service fee' and 'processing charge' to the green line later today.

Great! Looks like you made a decision on all your own! What a big boy/girl!

Now hopefully, in time, this will become such a commonplace occurrence that you don't feel the need to inform us all of it!

fatskippy

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:01 pm »
$20.00 x 1 $4.75 x 1
$4.00
$28.75

44% in fees, absolutely disgusting

nkotb

« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2010, 12:39:59 pm »
Against my better judgement:

Fees totaled $8.75.  How much gas money and time would you be out to drive to the venue for tickets, including time you'd need to hang out outside of the ticket agency to be first in line for tickets?

$20.00 x 1 $4.75 x 1
$4.00
$28.75

44% in fees, absolutely disgusting

fatskippy

« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2010, 01:08:30 pm »
go ahead and drink their koolaid, having to pay a 44% tax in order to buy something is absolutely absurd, what a joke

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2010, 01:30:41 pm »
go ahead and drink their koolaid, having to pay a 44% tax in order to buy something is absolutely absurd, what a joke

As noted above - there is no "having to pay"  the markup in order to buy this ticket.  You can go to the club and buy it for much less.   However, if you want to buy the ticket within a matter of minutes, without ever leaving your home and (potentially) have it delivered to your doorstep - that'll cost you $8.75.   

fatskippy

« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2010, 01:41:30 pm »
If this was about ticketmaster, people would be outraged at having to pay 44% markup.  The 9:30 Club and their Mom & Pop ticket provider can do no wrong though.

hutch

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »

As noted above - there is no "having to pay"  the markup in order to buy this ticket.  You can go to the club and buy it for much less.   However, if you want to buy the ticket within a matter of minutes, without ever leaving your home and (potentially) have it delivered to your doorstep - that'll cost you $8.75.   

Given that many shows sell out ultra quick the idea that you can go get them at the box is questionable.

However, for many shows if you want to get a ticket at all- before the scalpers get them all and hawk them- that'll cost you $8.75.

What some people here seem unable to comprehend- and they are the same people celebrating the forthcoming arrival of the $10 beer- is that there is such a thing as anti-gouging practices/rules/laws/regulations/norms... The cost of the service has to bear some modicum of relation to the cost of actually providing the service....

The concert ticket itself can cost anything but things like water at a show, even alcohol, coat check, cost of parking, ticket delivery service should not be subject to indiscriminate gouging

Moreover, when people say "that'll cost you $8.75" they are in fact teling a LIE because the $8.75 does not go entirely to the ticket printing/delivery company but partly comes back to the venue.. So you are in effect paying some of that $8.75 back to the venue and it has no relation whatsoever to the service itself.. In essence, the consumer is paying a licensing fee or "right to provide service" fee for the provider to pay to the venue for the right to ripoff the venue's customers..

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »
If this was about ticketmaster, people would be outraged at having to pay 44% markup.  The 9:30 Club and their Mom & Pop ticket provider can do no wrong though.

wrong.  ticketmaster DOES charge the same types of fees (look up a $20 ticket on TM and see how much that will cost you).  argument FAIL.

folks seem to forget that $20 = cost of the ticket, and of the ticket ONLY.  delivery, handling, etc. is extra.  you decide how that ticket gets in your hands.  go to the club = less money, more time.  online = faster, easier, more expensive.

i wonder if the venues simply charged $28 "face" for the ticket and included delivery, if that would made you happier.  cool, less choice.

or if the venues dropped online ticketing, and the only way to get a ticket was at the box office... just like 20 years ago.  yeah, that would be great too.

However, for many shows if you want to get a ticket at all- before the scalpers get them all and hawk them- that'll cost you $8.75.

vs. having to line up for 12 hours, overnight, to get tickets in the good ol' days.  pick your poison.  my point here is that for high-demand shows, there is always a premium to get a ticket.
<sig>