Author Topic: Porcupine Tree suggestions?  (Read 2863 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Porcupine Tree suggestions?
« on: December 16, 2009, 08:58:20 pm »
a friend suggested that i give Porcupine Tree a listen.  i'm a complete newbie here - where should i start?  should i start?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcupine_Tree_discography
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Porcupine Tree suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 10:05:32 pm »
You should avoid them like the plague. I was dragged to one of their shows at State Theatre a few years back and I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I realized full well it wouldn't affect me ability to hear their garbage, but at least the pain would've taken my mind off it, ya know?

snailhook

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:10:32 am »
new age prog.  stay away from anything they've done in the past decade, unless you prefer wimpy synth-driven emasculated art-rock.

the early stuff -- really, the first three records -- are pretty decent space-rock albums, floydian without the great songs.  the guitarist also gets compared to robert fripp, but he's nowhere near as inventive.

some prog dorks love these guys, so if you're inclined to liking shit like marillion and '90s floyd, maybe you'll dig 'em.

hemisphire

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:27:24 am »
I'd call the current stuff they do prog-metal, like Dream Theater.  If that sounds scary, stay away, but if it doesn't, try Deadwing or Fear of a Blank Planet (guests on the latter include Alex Lifeson of Rush and Robert Fripp of King Crimson, so that should give a big hint as to their influences).

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 12:04:16 pm »
My only real problem with Porcupine Tree, that I've heard as I'm not as versed with their music as I'd like to be, is that I find that I am constantly wanting them to fill up the musical landscape much more and let loose. Somehow, they just never seem to reach those plateaus that I feel they do have the potential to create.

There is one song that I very highly suggest you get ahold of. (Just buy the download if you don't want to bother with the entire CD, as it's well worth it.) Actually, it's technically not even Porcupine Tree but Steve Wilson who is the main thrust behind the band. The song is called 'Harmony Korine' and it's on his somewhat recent release called Insurgentes. Great song! Sadly, the rest of the album suffers from the very same complaints that I have for Porcupine Tree, as a whole. That really disappointed me because this one song proved to me that the potential is there.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:27:56 pm »
You should avoid them like the plague. I was dragged to one of their shows at State Theatre a few years back and I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I realized full well it wouldn't affect me ability to hear their garbage, but at least the pain would've taken my mind off it, ya know?

I was also at that State Th. show and I enjoyed it.  I like some of their stuff, some of it crosses a line and is hard for me to take seriously.  I would go see them again if it didn't involve too much hassle.

I think your ability to enjoy Porcupine Tree would depend on your tolerance for prog.  I would call their music prog with metal-ish influences (the get into some riffage).

If you were to check out one record, I would go with In Abstentia.  I think it is their most consistent and interesting record, and also their darkest. 

hemisphire

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 04:44:54 pm »
I'll second that rec for 'Harmony Korine', and also say that if you like it but PT is too heavy, Blackfield is another side project that's poppier.

helicon1

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 06:05:42 pm »
I've been a lurker here since the 90's and never interjected Porcupine Tree on this board because prog is not often discussed. I have been following them since '95 and very familiar with the band. I would try their new album "The Incident" simply because it's considered by fans a blend of all their styles.

They developed a harder edge in 2002 after parting ways with their original drummer. I do agree with Jaguar about never quite reaching the plateau but they consistently put out good material.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 01:00:19 am »
sounds like a harder version of Savage Garden but lighter version of Tool.   LMAO
(_|_)

helicon1

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 08:59:48 am »
sounds like a harder version of Savage Garden but lighter version of Tool.   LMAO

Hey, don't knock Savage Garden. My mom's nephew produced their albums! Seriously.