Author Topic: Spoon Roll Call  (Read 6161 times)

Chip Chanko

Re: Spoon Roll Call
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2005, 03:22:00 pm »
Nope...this was right in front of the sound board. And he wasn't loud or obnoxious, just funny. Well...he was a little obnoxious pushing in front of us just as the band was starting while my friend was getting a beer, but he more than made up for it with his performance.

Originally posted by Relaxer:
  Hate to say it, but if the drunk guy who was shouting all the words was in the middle of the upstairs balcony, that was my group. I've seen my buddy get drunk and obnoxious before, but never like that. It got pretty annoying, though it kept our area from getting crowded.

BookerT

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2005, 03:29:00 pm »
i thoroughly enjoyed the show through the first dozen or so songs, then it started to lose steam a bit. by my count they played 22 songs, which is a hell of a lot, even if it was still only a 75 minute set. i realize they might not be the most "exciting" live band, but i sorta hate "exciting" live bands. i like bands that are confident enough in the quality of their songs that they don't have adopt some overly energetic pose while on stage. if britt doesn't like jumping around, well, why should he jump around? i think it would come off as kinda bogus. he seemed to be having a blast up there, kind of in shock that he was headlining a show at a sold out 930. i was at that show back in '98, it was about a week after elektra dumped them and he was in one shitty mood.

highlights for me were "my mathematical mind," "the delicate place" "anything you want" and, of course, "car radio."

madteletubbie

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2005, 03:46:00 pm »
from the sound of it, I'm not too bummed that I missed the show. Still, would of been interesting to catch.

Chip Chanko

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2005, 03:47:00 pm »
It was funny standing out in front of the club afterwards waiting for a friend. A guy walked out wearing a crew shirt and I said he looked like fake britt. Then he walked straight to their tour bus and got on. Man his ears are big.

ratioci nation

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2005, 04:16:00 pm »
i really enjoyed the show, 300% better than the last show at the black cat, they may not have had a lot of energy, but it was more than last time, and I just know a lot of the songs really well, so one of the shows where i am really happy for what is coming next from the first notes, Fitted Shirt was great, I wish they had played something like Nefarious off of Telephono, we were shouting for it

good to see you Bags

Bags

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2005, 05:07:00 pm »
Originally posted by general grievous:
  i really enjoyed the show, 300% better than the last show at the black cat...

good to see you Bags
Holy Moly that show must have been awful.....good to see you and your young and crazy friends as well.

Relaxer

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2005, 06:22:00 pm »
If any of you heard a lot of hoarse voices screaming for "Change My Life", that was my group. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play that, because it's my favorite Spoon song.
oword

JaguÀr

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2005, 06:32:00 pm »
Originally posted by Relaxer:
  If any of you heard a lot of hoarse voices screaming for "Change My Life", that was my group. I was a little disappointed that they didn't play that, because it's my favorite Spoon song.
Wow. That is such a fantastic song! I've never figured out why they've never released it on a full album. The fact that they didn't play my favorite song of their's, more than any other comments in this thread, make me glad that I didn't bother to attend their show.

Tom Servo

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2005, 06:39:00 pm »
I agree that the sound was pretty tame.  I would have liked a little more energy and volume to give it more of a 'live' feel.  That said, the quality of the sound was fantastic and I really enjoyed the show - my first time seeing them live.  Britt Daniel has a stellar voice, which combined with his songwriting and charismatic (if subdued) guitar, makes Spoon more interesting than most.  Iâ??m not as familiar with their earlier work, but they played almost every one of my favorite songs off of the last 3 albums â?? so that certainly added to my enjoyment of the set.  I suppose thatâ??s not too surprising since they played 22 songs, but itâ??s not often that Iâ??ll go to a show where the band methodically goes right down my personal â??best ofâ? list.  

Crowd wasnâ??t too bad.  I think I was around one of the loud groups described above.  Obnoxious at times, but they were legitimately into it and seemed to know every damn word.  I tend to give more slack to those types than the kind that goes apeshit during the hit single and then canâ??t be bothered to pay attention for the rest.  

And seriously, this OC connection has got to stop.  I thought Spoon was untainted, but no.  Everyone ends up on the OC.  Itâ??s like the Borg.  I just need to let myself get assimilated and get it over with.

eltee

« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2005, 01:41:00 pm »
Originally posted by Tom Servo:
 I tend to give more slack to those types than the kind that goes apeshit during the hit single and then canâ??t be bothered to pay attention for the rest.  

And seriously, this OC connection has got to stop.  I thought Spoon was untainted, but no.  Everyone ends up on the OC.  Itâ??s like the Borg.  I just need to let myself get assimilated and get it over with.
Amen to that.

True about OC. Watching an old episode, I hear Aqualung on the OC. So yeah, everyone ends up on there. The Spoon show wasn't the stereotyped crowd people were anticipating.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2005, 03:15:00 pm »
i dunno, i liked the show just fine. thought the sound was good, they played almost everything i was looking forward to. only bad thing was we got stuck behind tall people. still saw fine, and everybody was dancing where we were. wasn't expecting bicycle kicks or conga lines through the crowd, so i wasn't disappointed in the least. 22 songs was enough for me
o/\o

onefellswoop

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2005, 10:07:00 pm »
The Spoon show wasn't the stereotyped crowd people were anticipating.  
i agree. it was weird how much everyone was into the show but still relatively tame... not too much rockin or head bobbing. i heard every song i was hoping for except for "all the pretty girls go to the city." the band seemed like they were having a blast on stage but they were definitely missing that extra "oomph."

amnesiac

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2005, 10:09:00 am »
Pretty good show. I thought they were better at Coachella, but that might be because I was dozing off to the sounds of Coldplay at the main stage right before Spoon.

Kinda disappointed Britt didn't beat-box

jkeisenh

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2005, 10:30:00 am »
i thought the music was great, but the band was rather boring onstage.

i personally had terrible show karma.  at first i was front-and-center and there was a couple behind me doing every possible annoying thing...
 - girl dancing in such a way as to be humping my leg
 - girl clapping to every song, only had no rhythm.
 - boy singing along at top of his lungs, often using the wrong lyrics
 - both shouting song requests between every song
 When I'd finally had it (and began worrying about the integrity of my now-quite-violated leg) I moved to the left.  Not that things improved all that much, though, since the new guy behind me:
 - was so tall he was breathing on my head (ew)
 - sang along at the top of his lungs, and, get this
 - Sang along with the GUITAR PARTS

i just don't understand.

BookerT

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2005, 11:00:00 am »
i think jenkins pretty much nailed this one.

Spoon at 9:30 Club

For Spoon, selling out the 9:30 club is the best revenge. The Texas band was among the many alt-rock acts that were seduced and abandoned by major labels in the '90s, a trauma that led singer-guitarist Britt Daniel to write not one but two songs roasting the A&R man he felt betrayed him. But unlike other indie discards, Daniel and drummer Jim Eno -- the core members of a group that expands to a quartet onstage -- have worked their way back to a significant audience, as they demonstrated Friday night with an energetic, crowd-pleasing set before a full house.

Spoon's performance did offer some hints as to why a big-time marketing exec might have had doubts. Songs as catchy and direct as "Sister Jack," one of the evening's highlights, were rare. The set opened with a brittle, brooding thumper titled "The Beast and Dragon, Adored," whose refrain insisted, "I got to believe it came from rock-and-roll." In fact, many of the music's ingredients came from punk, funk and art-rock. Barrages of discordant guitar recalled Gang of Four, Daniel's falsetto suggested Prince, and the slippery melodies and wordy lyrics evoked Lou Reed -- although none of these resemblances was overpowering or long-lasting.

If Spoon was short on immediately accessible tunes and electrifying gestures, the band was well supplied with taut arrangements, ingenious eclecticism and jittery vigor. These may not be the stuff of multi-platinum albums, but they were enough for a satisfying, distinctive show -- and for Daniel to be able to thank the fans who used to come see him at much smaller clubs.

-- Mark Jenkins