Author Topic: Going to New York...  (Read 2465 times)

paul3mac

Going to New York...
« on: April 24, 2006, 08:54:00 am »
Headed to NYC with my GF in a few weeks for the weekend.  Any suggestions on what to see/do?  

Checked to see what shows were playing, and got tickets to Pretty Girls Make Graves at Irving Plaza for that Saturday.

shoot ur shot

Re: Going to New York...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:49:00 am »
the whitney biennial is going on...

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:55:00 am »
How about the Hard Rock Cafe? They got one there?

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »
Toys 'R' Us in Times Square.

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:27:00 pm »
Stolen Transmission at Orchard Bar in the LES on friday nights

Dark Room on Ludlow (1 block from orchard bar) is another fun place, usually good music

maybe it's because all my friends live down there, but for the last couple of years i've never really left the lower east side when i've gone out in NYC, it has pretty much everything you'd want
(o|o)

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 02:39:00 pm »
MISSHAPES.

and if that show is with Giant Drag...lucky!!

K8teebug

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 03:30:00 pm »
Magnolia Bakery in the Village.  Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery on the Lower East side....what can I say?  I love my cupcakes.

Venerable Bede

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 03:33:00 pm »
decibel for some late night sake. . .
OU812

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 03:37:00 pm »
Originally posted by K8teebug:
  Magnolia Bakery in the Village.  Sugar Sweet Sunshine Bakery on the Lower East side....what can I say?  I love my cupcakes.
I told you that I'm crazy 'bout those cupcakes, cousin!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 04:33:00 pm »
If you like museums, there's a somewhat off beat museum on the Lower East Side called the Tenement Museum, where you get a real sense for how miserable the conditions were that people used to live in there.  

As an added bonus, the most amazing dumpling place in the world is located in a hole in the wall if you walk on directly south on the street leading out of the museum, and then at some point a block or two south on one of the smaller streets, hang a left and it's in that block.  Sorry I can't be more specific, but it's worth a bit of a search.

Also for a bite to eat, I like Bianca's on Bleecker just before Bowery, one of those great Italian restaurants that only takes cash.  If you're in the mood for yummy fondue, pop by Artisanal up around 31st street way, I think not far from Lexington.   There's another good restaurant on Avenue B just south of 14th, can't remember the name though.

For more yummy and fast Chinese food away from the usual hipster haunts, check out the brighly-lit, unassuming place on the corner of 49th and 2nd.  

There was a fantastic exhibit at the Grey Art Gallery near NYU called the Downtown Show, about the downtown arts and punk scene in the early 80s, but unfortunately I think it may have just finished.  The link's here:

http://www.nyu.edu/greyart/exhibits/downtown/dthome.htm

Anyhoo, if you can't go there, read "The Downtown Diaries" by Jim Carroll and "Please Kill Me," by I forgot whom, instead.   Finally try the cheesecake at Yaffa Cafe on St. Mark's, and if you're looking for some places to stroll try the along the East River... just don't walk down Sutton Place, everybody's got an Akita.
_\|/_

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 04:40:00 pm »
I recommend the banana walnut pancakes here:

http://www.clintonstreetbaking.com/

paul3mac

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 03:19:00 pm »
thanks guys

megs

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 04:07:00 pm »
for banana pancakes, i recommend lodge in brookly, at 318 grand st. they also do 2-for-1 mimosa specials for brunch.

nkotb

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 04:19:00 pm »
I just found out they closed my favorite breakfast place in Astoria.  I was looking forward to going when I make that trip up there next week.  What a letdown.