Author Topic: bartenders at 930 need to learn how to count  (Read 6602 times)

Sir HC

Re: bartenders at 930 need to learn how to count
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 10:37:02 am »
The Columbia Brunswick Bowling Alley was going to charge $9 for a caucasian.  Yep, suburbia...

$14 for a double jack and coke at the bar in my neighborhood. good think i stick to beer

Yep, a friend got a double Bacardi and diet at our local bar and it was tabbed as two Bacardi and Diets!

vansmack

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »
One post and done.

Couldn't have been that upset...
27>34

nkotb

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:23 pm »
Maybe he needed that extra ten spot to pay for his internet connectivity?

One post and done.

Couldn't have been that upset...

azaghal1981

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2010, 02:46:22 pm »
Maybe he took my suggestion seriously?
احمد

walkonby

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
you could try going to shows sober . . . you know, to enjoi the music.  but that would be horrible and not possible, right?

Shadrach

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2010, 04:38:17 pm »
I'm sorry but stealing from customers is pretty fuckin sad.

Next time use your own money to feed your meth addiction.

I went to the gogol concert last night. Paid for a drink and got 2 bucks back from a 20.

Thats either the most expensive drink ever or the bartender was being an asshole.

I tried saying something then he immediately said I game him a ten. Fuck off. I got a bank statement that shows I pulled 40 dollars out of the atm that night. Shiesty Motherfucker. 

Maybe 930 might have some sense and hire people that are actually honest.

Yeah, right.

As a long time drink slinger at 9:30 I'll admit that it's entirely possible that a mistake was made by the bartender, but knowing the difference between a $10 and $20 bill is pretty elementary stuff, I mean we're talking money exchange 101. That being said we do deal with people who try to get over on us on a pretty regular basis and I have experienced the occasional "I gave you a bigger bill" line. There are only a few ways to handle the situation, you either go with your gut and memory and stick with your guns as to what bill you feel confident you were handed, or you take the word of the customer and hand over the difference. Short of stopping everything and counting out the drawer, which takes about 15 minutes, there's not much more you can do.

Now had I been there and you were confident that I had made a mistake, I would have likely offered to buy you a drink or two and call it even. If that wasn't enough I may have suggested you leave your contact information and if at the end of the night my drawer was indeed over the amount you claimed, I would have gladly returned your money.

I wasn't there, so I can't speak for how you or the bartender handled the situation, but I'm certain that had you been insistent and polite, you would have left happy. We assholes can always steal from the next customer to help pay for our meth habit. Cheers.

Bags

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2010, 05:14:43 pm »
Where oh where is this apocryphal ATM that dispenses $10 bills?  I would be in such better stead with DC cabbies if I didn't tend to have a wallet full of $20s....  I'll bet I have to pay a service charge to use this magical machine.  :(

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2010, 07:04:12 pm »
Times like these make me happy that I don't drink even though I am an asshole.
FUKIT

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »
I went to the gogol concert last night. Paid for a drink and got 2 bucks back from a 20.

hey it's either that or raise ticket fees
Awesome. A true Julian American.

walkonby

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2010, 07:25:46 pm »

does that mean seth will be deleted?

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 07:28:23 pm »

does that mean seth will be deleted?
Board over, man, board over. It's been fun, kids.

Got Haggis?

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2010, 12:30:43 pm »
I actually had this same exact thing happen to me at the 930 club a few years back.  Bartender said I gave them a $10, but I know for a fact I gave them a $20 (it was the first beer of the night, so I wasn't drunk heh).  It sucked, but shit happens....they are human and make mistakes...I was out $10...sucks but not the end of the world

lagas

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2010, 01:06:26 pm »
Once at the Black Cat I ordered a vodka tonic and it seems I heard wrong the price of the drink, so I gave the bartender a $10 and then moved on...when I came back for another drink, he remembered me and offered  a free drink because, he said, I gave him a 'huge tip'...so it was good at the end...
zorra

vansmack

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2010, 01:52:26 pm »
I've had this happen to me at many bars, and have done it on a couple of occassions myself during my tending career. 

Sometimes the patron is right, sometimes the bartender is right.

It's very rarely intentional (a bartender that does this often will not keep their job), and is usually worked out by the attitude each party displays.

The easiest way to handle it as a patron is to politely ask the bartender to check the till to see if a $20 bill is in the $10 slot.  If it is, you'll likely get an apology, your money back and maybe a free drink.  If it's not, say "that's cool, I'm not perfect either - have a good one" and walk away.  It's $10 and not worth fighting over.  As was pointed out earlier, if that was done and the person comes back to me later in the night, then I'd usually give them a free drink or a greatly reduced drink because it tells me that the patron wasn't trying to pull a fast on on me, which happens much more than you think and probably prompted the reaction this guy got.
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2010, 02:22:44 pm »
the op used the term "meth addiction" thus accusing a bartender(s) at the club to be meth heads.  maybe i am wrong, but didn't somebody else on here a long time ago (who's not on here anymore (that we know)) make the same accusation of bartenders being meth heads?