Author Topic: 1st Mariner is #1  (Read 3160 times)

shemptiness

1st Mariner is #1
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:07:14 pm »
From the Sun:

1st Mariner named best arena of its size in the U.S.
The 1st Mariner Arena is the top arena of its size in the U.S., according to industry publications Billboard Magazine and Venues Today.

After a star-studded year which included performances from Bruce Springsteen, Beyonce and Jay-Z, the aging venue took the No. 1 spot for arenas with capacities from 10,001 to 15,000.

The results were based on the number of tickets sold and gross revenue, according to Frank Remesch, 1st Mariner's general manager.

"We had a heck of a run this year," Remesch said. "I wouldn't say I'm surprised, but I'm proud. ... This is a neat feeling." ...

Last year, Billboard Magazine named 1st Mariner No. 3, behind Boardwalk Hall Arena in Atlantic City and the MGM Grand's Garden Arena in Las Vegas. This year's award shows that Baltimore is finally coming out of Washington's shadow and establishing itself as a legitimate market for A-list bands, Remesch said.
"It says more about Baltimore than it does about the arena," Remesch said. "If people from Baltimore and the surrounding area keep supporting the events, I can keep bringing better events. It's an endless good cycle."

hutch

Re: 1st Mariner is #1
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 07:12:24 pm »
The Stones blew the roof off that place in 2006 (and 1969 obviously)....Nice Venue.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 07:18:47 pm »
<insert obligatory "stealing of native DC shows" comment here>
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2010, 07:28:50 pm »
Oh man, beat me to it.

mekmad

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 11:58:33 am »
I guess you can get this award when you oversell the floor to make a few extra bucks.  The General Admission at Bruce was horrible, I will never do GA in that pit again.

fatskippy

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 12:01:49 pm »
I guess you can get this award when you oversell the floor to make a few extra bucks.  The General Admission at Bruce was horrible, I will never do GA in that pit again.

sounds like the 9:30 club

James Ford

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 12:03:58 pm »

sounds like the 9:30 club

That's probably because you're taking up more than your share of space down there on the floor, Skippy.

hutch

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 02:37:48 pm »
Oh man, beat me to it.

Except the Stones played DC that tour...

Nice try though...

mahimahi1414

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:36 pm »

That's because everyone with any connection to Bruce or the band wound up with a GA ticket. They oversold GA by a couple hundred since it was possibly the most-demanded ticket of the show. It was also the only show of the final leg that saw no drop on the day of the show.

mekmad

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 01:16:37 pm »

That's because everyone with any connection to Bruce or the band wound up with a GA ticket. They oversold GA by a couple hundred since it was possibly the most-demanded ticket of the show. It was also the only show of the final leg that saw no drop on the day of the show.

Oversold by at least a couple hundred, the whole floor was packed.  Good show but give me a friggin' break.