Author Topic: Douchebag of the Week Award  (Read 13308 times)

walkonby

Re: Douchebag of the Week Award
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2010, 02:18:42 pm »
i shop at walmart, target, food lion and wegmans.  i am a minority, white, but not blue collar.  now i am confused.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2010, 02:20:15 pm »
how are you a minority?

i shop at walmart, target, food lion and wegmans.  i am a minority, white, but not blue collar.  now i am confused.
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 02:27:11 pm »
how are you a minority?

He thinks Phish doesn't suck.

walkonby

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:48 pm »
how are you a minority?

He thinks Phish doesn't suck.

walkonby

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 02:36:39 pm »
how are you a minority?

let's just say . . . i'll be at the club with my "roommate" on the 17th.  oh my!

Venerable Bede

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2010, 03:59:43 pm »
Vansmack, well said.

I find it interesting how many people see a fundamental difference between littering and throwing something out.    But if it's non-degradable it's as bad for the environment whether it goes to a landfill, or the Pacific Ocean, as if it ends up on your sidewalk.

yes, there is a difference. . . .at least at landfills you can collect the methane and use it as a fuel source for electricity generation, and get an RPS credit for it in some states (and, presumably, if a nationwide cap-and-trade or RPS program ever gets passed).   
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2010, 04:10:04 pm »
if you are upset about litter, fine the litterers;

They are.  5 cents a bag.

You and I have been through this before many times so there's no need to rehash it here.  I'm not for paper over plastic or vice versa.  I'm for reusable over all else, and biodegradable where reusable is not feasible (like your kitty litter).
i don't think that argument would hold up to judicial scrutiny (not to mention that it is simply illogical). . .you can't assume that simply because i purchase a good that i will litter.  and unfortunately for herr doom, littering is a specific legal definition; simply re-using it for cat litter and throwing it in the garbage does not constitute littering. 

i don't necessarily disagree with your last points. . .i simply disagree with the means of getting there. 
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2010, 04:19:09 pm »
i don't think that argument would hold up to judicial scrutiny (not to mention that it is simply illogical). . .you can't assume that simply because i purchase a good that i will litter.  and unfortunately for herr doom, littering is a specific legal definition; simply re-using it for cat litter and throwing it in the garbage does not constitute littering. 

i don't necessarily disagree with your last points. . .i simply disagree with the means of getting there. 

Blah blah blah.

Don't worry you cheap bastard, I already bought you a 30 pack of biodegradable kitchen liners (from Target no less!) that you can use for your kitty litter.  Now I will convince your wife to bring reusable bags to Target.  "Do it for your daughter" I will tell her.

That's just me doing my part.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2010, 04:39:12 pm »
get her cubs/bears bags. worked on me
o/\o

Venerable Bede

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2010, 05:47:46 pm »
get her cubs/bears bags. worked on me
she has a bunch of bags branded with her company's logo on it. . .and they are insulated!
OU812

Venerable Bede

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2010, 05:53:38 pm »

Don't worry you cheap bastard, I already bought you a 30 pack of biodegradable kitchen liners (from Target no less!) that you can use for your kitty litter.  Now I will convince your wife to bring reusable bags to Target.  "Do it for your daughter" I will tell her.

That's just me doing my part.

you still haven't explained why should i pay for special bags when i get better and stronger bags for free?

i will admit to buying compostable bags for food because putting food in paper bags just caused a bigger mess (and wasn't a very good use of large paper bags).  even though composting now creates a new source of methane, which seems to me to be a bit ironic.
OU812

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2010, 06:05:14 pm »
Why are they better?  Why are they stronger? And why do you think they're "free"?

Because none of those facts are true.
27>34

Venerable Bede

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2010, 07:11:15 pm »
Why are they better?  Why are they stronger? And why do you think they're "free"?

Because none of those facts are true.
unless there's been a huge jump in the technology, compostable bags, especially those made from corn starch, cannot match the strength and durability of good ol plastic bags. . .since they are stronger, they can hold more and last longer, and are, thus, better.  (i had a similar discussion with someone about how crappy compostable utensils are compared to plastic utensils.)

as for free. . .let's see. . .am i willing to pay 1/4 of a cent more in higher prices for the "free" bag versus paying $3 for 10 compostable bags?  i say yes.
OU812

James Ford

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2010, 07:16:53 pm »
With all respect to Doctor Doom's original nomination, could we please just pass the award on to Gilbert Arenas?

vansmack

« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2010, 07:30:53 pm »
How many times do you use your kitty litter bag?

And do you not clean it out often enough that you need something more than a 13 gallon bag?
27>34