Author Topic: Velvet Lounge this weekend: Erik Deutsch on Fri, Gondola/Plums/KRE on Sat  (Read 2646 times)

snailhook

Clavius Productions presents two shows at the Velvet Lounge this weekend to get you out of your winter doldrums:

Friday, January 8
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com
202-462-3213
$10, 18+, doors at 9pm

Erik Deutsch (pianist for Norah Jones, Charlie Hunter, Ellery Eskelin and Trevor Dunn!)
Stella Schindler (one of DC's finest singer-songwriters)

Erik Deutsch
http://www.hammerandstring.com

Erik Deutsch, born in Washington D.C., is as busy as anyone in the music business. Currently a resident of Brooklyn, NY, the pianist has recently worked with Norah Jones, Trevor Dunn, and Ellery Eskelin (to name a few). He just wrapped up three years in the Charlie Hunter Trio (recording Mistico and Baboon Strength), and is currently splitting time with Kristina Train and Erin McKeown in support of their new albums. Erik has recently completed work on a new album: Hush Money. Released on November 10, the music reflects a unique balance between the chamber-esque cinematic composition of Deutsch?s previous record, Fingerprint, with the rhythm and blues aesthetic of Charlie Hunter. Throw in a heavy dose of Erik?s extensive arsenal of analog synthesizers and Hush Money is surely the most wide-ranging recording of his career. ?Erik Deutsch, a pianist with a taste for tuneful provocation, is an especially valuable resource as a solo commentator and accompanist?? ? NY Times Recent

Discography:

Charlie Hunter Trio: Baboon Strength (2008 Spire Artists)
Erik Deutsch: Fingerprint (2007 Sterling Circle Records)
Erin McKeown: Lafayette (2007 Signature Sounds)
Ron Miles: Stone/Blossom (2006 Sterling Circle Records)

Stella Schindler
http://www.myspace.com/stellaschindler

"With an emotive delivery that at various points brings to mind Marianne Faithfull and Iris Dement under the spell of eerie gothic gloom, Stella Schindler makes a striking impression on Distant Hum. Her seductive style has a hazy feel that?s elusive yet inviting. She effectively integrates various strands of quiet despair, resulting in an album deliriously imbued with imagery and allusion.

The set begins provocatively with the dirge-like ballad ?Ancient Trail? and maintains its sensual sway. However, Schindler hits her stride with ?Get Along Joseph,? an upbeat shuffle that suggests vintage Dylan helmed by Gram and Emmylou." (Lee Zimmerman, Performing Songwriter Magazine)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Saturday, January 9
Velvet Lounge
915 U St NW WDC
http://www.velvetloungedc.com
202-462-3213
$8, 18+, doors at 9pm

Gondola (heavy-ass power-trio from Philly)
Plums (noisy post-rock from DC)
Kuschty Rye Ergot (improv psych from members of Kohoutek)
Dark Sea Dream (heavy-ass shoegazy post-metal)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

upcoming Clavius-and-related events:

Monday 1/25 @ Velvet Lounge: Nick Oliveri (ex-Kyuss/Queens of the Stone Age), Kelly Carmichael (of Internal Void)      $10, doors at 8:30pm, 18+
Saturday 2/6 @ Velvet Lounge: Kohoutek, projeckt[transmit] (mem. of The Necks/Haptic), Dark Sea Dream    $8, doors at 9pm, 21+
Monday 2/8 @ Bossa: Mountains (Thrill Jockey), Tape (psych-folk from Sweden), Kuschty Rye Ergot
Saturday 2/27 @ Velvet Lounge: T-Model Ford    $12, doors at 9pm, 18+
Tuesday 3/2: @ Twins Jazz: Atomic (Norwegian avant-jazz)     $10, doors at 8pm, all ages
Thursday 4/15 @ Velvet Lounge: Mi Ami (Thrill Jockey, ex-Black Eyes)
$8, doors at 8:30pm, 18+

Unsanity

Gondola is awesome. They (and KRE) opened for The Flower Travellin' Band at the Velvet. They are like an instrumental QOTSA.

azaghal1981

Yeah, saturday will be killer. Also excited for Atomic (isn't there another show featuring members of Atomic coming up soon?).
احمد

snailhook

glad you were at that show, unsanity.  that was one of our (KRE) heaviest sets.  we'll be a little different on saturday, with a farfisa organist instead of dual guitars.  gondola is one of the best bands in philly right now, though i'd say they are more like OM or dead meadow than QOTSA.  maybe early QOTSA.

btw, are you gonna see nick oliveri at the velvet on the 25th?  should be a killer show, kelly carmichael of internal void is opening.  he never plays dc even though he lives in the frederick area.

azaghal, paal nilssen-love and frode gjerstad are at bossa on the 27th. i was going to promote that show but handed it off to ed ricart, but i think i'll help co-pro it.  not sure if i'm gonna play the show or be there for it.  the thing w/ joe mcphee will be at velvet in june or thereabouts.

Captain Jack

June
THE THING w/ Joe McPhee
US Smoked Meat Tour
Details TBA

shit yeah

also KOHOUTEK/GONDOLA/CAVES CAVERNS loft show freakout sunday night in downtown richmond.

Unsanity

I mos def will try and see the Nick Oliveri show. Sucks its a Monday night though! I've heard mostly negative things about "Death Acoustic" but Rex has always brought the ruckus. Last time QOTSA played 9:30 wasn't Nick up in the balcony watching over? Or was that my imagination? Kelly Carmichael opening up is pretty sweet, I just saw Internal Void back in September at the SHOD X and they tore the place up. Should be a fun show.