Author Topic: Metro considers closing U Street East entrance ....  (Read 12237 times)

Giles

Metro considers closing U Street East entrance ....
« on: January 07, 2010, 06:15:12 pm »
early at 8pm weekdays and totally closed on the weekends - wow, I thought Metro was stupid but this takes the cake - personally I'm livid about what Metro is preposing - I depend on Metro most of the time for concerts at the 9:30 (not to mention DC9 and Town) - I'm writing a complaint to Metro over this and I recommend others who take Metro the club do as well. I'm not pleased with having to walk all the way over to the Lincoln Theatre entrance when there's a stop more convient and shouldn't be closed in the first place. 

hutch

Re: Metro considers closing U Street East entrance ....
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 06:44:22 pm »
Metro is doing a lot of crazy stuff.. they basically say they have no money and they are saying "you dont' want to let us raise fares or give us a subsidy, well then get ready for stuff you don't like"..

I think some of the answer lies in Metro cutting its internal costs but they dont seem to want to do that....

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 11:03:38 pm »
Epic FAIL

With so few trains  leaving that station after 11pm, people are going to start missing the last train unless they haul ass. 

Hopefully, the club has a little political clout they can throw around.  Or a business association can pony up to keep the exit open especially during weekdays.  Maybe, the club should just brand that exit and then do cool events like have artists busk there.
T.Rex

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2010, 08:20:59 am »
The real epic FAIL is the popular notion that mass transit ought to pay for itself, unlike any other form of public infrastructure.   That leads to underfunding, and leaves only self-defeating options like raising fares and closing entrances.    The bitching ought to be directed at regional governments that make these funding decisions.
_\|/_

Got Haggis?

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2010, 11:25:02 am »
wtf, that makes 0 sense

nkotb

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 11:29:57 am »
Personally, I wasn't too bothered when multiple people were killed by negligence, but slightly making my concert experience more difficult?  Now THAT'S an outrage!

early at 8pm weekdays and totally closed on the weekends - wow, I thought Metro was stupid but this takes the cake - personally I'm livid about what Metro is preposing - I depend on Metro most of the time for concerts at the 9:30 (not to mention DC9 and Town) - I'm writing a complaint to Metro over this and I recommend others who take Metro the club do as well. I'm not pleased with having to walk all the way over to the Lincoln Theatre entrance when there's a stop more convient and shouldn't be closed in the first place. 

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 11:47:15 am »
I'm sure Metro has all kinds of numerical data that the exit is under utilized during the evening save for those of us traveling from the burbs for shows in the area...  oh well it's a good thing the club is staring shows earlier....
T.Rex

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 12:03:11 pm »
Maybe if we all walked the extra 3-4 blocks from the further entrance to the club, 60% of Americans wouldn't be dangerously obese.

nkotb

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:07 pm »
Plus, given how "shady" we seem to think the area is, it would actually probably be a 3-4 block sprint!  Now that's a weight loss solution!

Maybe if we all walked the extra 3-4 blocks from the further entrance to the club, 60% of Americans wouldn't be dangerously obese.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 12:06:26 pm »
Epic FAIL

With so few trains  leaving that station after 11pm, people are going to start missing the last train unless they haul ass. 

Hopefully, the club has a little political clout they can throw around.  Or a business association can pony up to keep the exit open especially during weekdays.  Maybe, the club should just brand that exit and then do cool events like have artists busk there.

Can we PLEASE retire this bullshit 'Epic Fail' term?  Thanks.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 12:36:46 pm »

EPIC FAIL at attempt to influence popular speech.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2010, 12:40:03 pm »

Yeah what a douchebag :D
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »

Yeah what a douchebag :D

oh no you didn't.

hutch

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2010, 02:03:21 pm »
I don't mind Metro raising fares provided there is some sort of control over their own costs... Otherwise they'll continue to ask for more subsidies/raises in fares... There is all the incentive in the world for them to want more budget and little incentive for them to spend what they have judiciously.

Again, much like ticket service fees WITHOUT REGULATION the consumer gets screwed.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2010, 08:31:14 pm »
I don't mind Metro raising fares provided there is some sort of control over their own costs... Otherwise they'll continue to ask for more subsidies/raises in fares... There is all the incentive in the world for them to want more budget and little incentive for them to spend what they have judiciously.

Again, much like ticket service fees WITHOUT REGULATION the consumer gets screwed.

Do you actually know anything about how Metro is funded or regulated?
_\|/_