Author Topic: Coachella 2010  (Read 25198 times)

betao

Re: Coachella 2010
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2010, 11:40:57 am »
Set times are up...

...and I hate them. Last year, it was perfect. This year, its anything but.

Just curious, what seems so bad to you.  Apart from Pavement, Gary Numan, Orbital, and (camp out at Outdoor Theater for a good spot for Atoms for Peace) all at the same time, the conflicts seem pretty minimal to me. 

Sunday is just too stacked to not have some horrible conflicts.

Orbital vs. Gary Numan is immensely painful for me. Same with Orbital only getting 55 minutes - less than any other Sahara act that day. AND on at 8pm. That's a joke, right GV?

Plastikman vs Yorke is also rough, but understandable.

Also, the Sahara tent closing at 1030 (first time its ever closed early). What gives? But I probably only feel this way because I'm not a big Gorillaz fan.

Saturday is a good day. I'm ok with that.

As for Friday, PiL vs Fever Ray really really sucks. But Friday could've been worse. My main problems are with Sunday.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2010, 12:21:13 pm »
looks like the festival is sold out.

2007 sold out much earlier (thanks in large part to the RATM reunion) but there were plenty of people selling extras on the way in.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2010, 11:10:08 am »
Wonder how many conflicts this reduces...

Coachella stars stuck in UK

Volcanic ash scuppers US festival shows by Numan, Sumner and The Cribs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/news/20100416_coachella_cancelled.shtml

Frightened Rabbit and Los Campesinos have also been stranded. But many other British acts have made it over.

Headliners Gorillaz and Muse were in the US before the volcanic cloud struck, as were The Specials, Thom Yorke, Florence and the Machine, Hot Chip, The XX and La Roux.
T.Rex

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 05:39:18 am »
Coachella has been great so far.  The crowd size hasn't seemed bad, and it has been pretty easy to get to see any show from a decent spot with a little forethought.

The Pavement show in Pomona was epic.  They played for two hours, roughly 30 songs.  The band isn't as loose as they used to be, but they have a grandeur and majesty to it now that didn't used to be there.  Malkmus brought some of the noodling of his solo work to it in a good way. 

On Friday, Yeasayer was fanastic.  The Specials was lots of fun actually.  Them Crooked Vultures were predictibly great.  LCD Soundsystem felt like a bit of a letdown, with the new material not seeming as strong as the older stuff.  Fever Ray might have been the best thing I saw that day.

Band of Skulls were great today.  The Ravenettes had to play without their band, who was stuck in Europe, and they were great stripped down to the two of them.  Faith No More was great.  Muse played without their tower things that they were using on their tour. 

nkotb

« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 10:04:00 pm »
Anyone catch PIL?  Should I consider the club show in May?

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 07:08:57 am »
I didn't catch PIL because it was the same time as Fever Ray, but someone whose taste I trust saw the beginning of PIL and said it was phenomenal from what they heard.  I don't know what it means, though, that they left not far into it.

Sunday was fantastic.  Mutemath were surprisingly good.  Jonsi was great.  Sly Stone was supposed to come on at 7, and right at that time someone announced that his set had been postponed.  Sly ended up playing during the Gorillaz set starting at 10:45.  I didn't hear anything about how it was. 

Thom Yorke was probably my favorite thing of the weekend.  Atoms for Peace is just much more aggressive than radiohead, and it it a great side of Thom to see. 

The Gorillaz set was really fun and interesting.  The band was plainly visible and lit up, but had some really elaborate videos for the different songs.  It was great to see Damon work the crowd and actually perform the songs like a front man.

On Saturday, I didn't see MGMT, but heard several people bitching at the end of the night about how they didn't play Kids.  That is pretty funny.

fatskippy

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 09:51:06 am »
King Khan on the webcast was hilarious

DotTheEyes

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 04:22:55 pm »
Sly ended up playing during the Gorillaz set starting at 10:45.  I didn't hear anything about how it was.

It went very well.  People are clamoring for a world tour now.

:P

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »
<sig>

betao

« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2010, 12:07:25 pm »

Best acts I saw:

PiL - Probably the best show I saw all weekend. The setlist is stellar and sounded perfect, and Lydon was filled with raw emotion that the band played off of perfectly. I wasn't even that big of a fan, but was captivated and wouldn't leave for Fever Ray only two songs in. Despite Jah Wobble not being there, he really has put together a tight group to this with. I will definitely be getting a ticket to the 9:30 show, and you should too.

Orbital - Another great set and my most anticipated. They were awesome, played the classics, and filled the sahara with their samples and groovy mixes. Seeing all the raver kids leave after Infected Mushroom made for a really chill atmosphere for Orbital's set.

Plastikman live - Holy shit. Richie is a genius when it comes to dropping the darkest yet danciest minimal techno out there. Insane visuals, heavy basslines, and simple yet creative beats had me dancing harder than anything else I've seen in a while. It was so good it was scary. Ask me on some days, and I'll say that it was better than Orbital - and that's coming from someone who's most anticipated act was Orbital.

Those are the 3 best I saw this weekend. Other great sets I saw included Devo, Echo & the Bunnymen, Flying Lotus, Jason Bently, The Specials, The Ravonettes, Deerhunter, Jonsi, and Faith No More.

I'll recap Sly Stone's trainwreck in another post - it's worth reading.

Also, ran into someone wearing a 9:30 club t-shirt and working at the merch table. Whippy, was that you? or someone else? I did say "hey" and commented that I was from the east coast too and it was nice to see some club representation at the fest. I recognized the guy, too. Works at the club.

And now, festival downsides for this year:

1) Way too crowded. GV needs to go back to selling 50-60k tickets and not 75k. It made for an atmosphere and vibe that took away from the charm that normally makes Coachella so unique, and replaced it with 15,000 electro teens and hipsters. The tents for certain acts were way too crowded and overflowing with people.

2) Parking sucked on Friday and Sunday. This city has had 10 years to get this right, so it does deserve some bitching. I've heard stories of people that got off the freeway in the afternoon and didnt get to the festival until 9pm, or people being blatantly turned away from parking altogether.

3) Poor festival staff coordination. Hardly any of the volunteers knew what was going on. People were sneaking in left and right. They at one point ran out of wristbands to give out to festival attendees - WTF?

There's alot more to these complaints too that have really hit home with some of the veterans, and its shit that GV really needs to address this time around.

All in all, a fun weekend indeed. As a whole, I'm not sure how it compares with the other years I've been, but I did see alot of fine music this past weekend.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »
Coachella has been great so far.  The crowd size hasn't seemed bad, and it has been pretty easy to get to see any show from a decent spot with a little forethought.
1) Way too crowded. GV needs to go back to selling 50-60k tickets and not 75k. It made for an atmosphere and vibe that took away from the charm that normally makes Coachella so unique, and replaced it with 15,000 electro teens and hipsters. The tents for certain acts were way too crowded and overflowing with people.

ymmv?
<sig>

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2010, 02:35:24 pm »
Orbital was definitely my favorite act of the weekend.  I had not seen them since Glastonbury '99 and they did not disappoint.  I agree, it was so great seeing all the kids clear out of the Sahara tent after Infected Mushroom so we could just slide in there with no problem.  I also enjoyed Yo La Tengo, The Specials, Echo and the Bunnymen, and The Big Pink.  The sea of humanity at Phoenix was insane.

Vas Deferens

(_|_)

wml7

vansmack

« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2010, 06:03:08 pm »
27>34