Author Topic: Coachella 2010  (Read 25189 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Coachella 2010
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2010, 06:18:32 pm »
http://www.ocweekly.com/slideshow/coachella-2010-the-people-and-the-parties-part-iii-29715650/1/

I've seen him at Lollapalooza.  Which crazy boardee is he?  ;D

that's ixkpd-bk.  he doesn't hang out here much anymore.  he's looking pretty trim in that photo!

Haha.  I'm in picture number 79.

srsly?  you weren't at coachella...
<sig>

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2010, 06:21:56 pm »
furthermore: you went through 79 pix?!?  and still had any sense of observation left??  i could never sift through that many.  i'll typically only look at the first 20 or 30.  but that's ADHD for ya...
<sig>

Vas Deferens

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2010, 06:44:35 pm »
he has a new handle if you haven't noticed...

http://www.ocweekly.com/slideshow/coachella-2010-the-people-and-the-parties-part-iii-29715650/1/

that's ixkpd-bk.  he doesn't hang out here much anymore.  he's looking pretty trim in that photo!

(_|_)

vansmack

« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2010, 06:58:40 pm »
you went through 79 pix?!?  and still had any sense of observation left??  i could never sift through that many.  i'll typically only look at the first 20 or 30.  but that's ADHD for ya...

I was tipped off that I was in the photo but somebody who could stomach going through that many photos, and I must say, I'm looking pretty good in that photo.
27>34

wml7

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »

oh is it you? I see  ;D

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »

yeah, i noticed.  he might pretend to be a scottish ass flamer, but he'll always be ixkpd-bk to me.
<sig>

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2010, 05:37:52 pm »
Coachella has been great so far.  The crowd size hasn't seemed bad, and it has been pretty easy to get to see any show from a decent spot with a little forethought.
1) Way too crowded. GV needs to go back to selling 50-60k tickets and not 75k. It made for an atmosphere and vibe that took away from the charm that normally makes Coachella so unique, and replaced it with 15,000 electro teens and hipsters. The tents for certain acts were way too crowded and overflowing with people.

ymmv?

Betao, I'm curious what felt too crowded to you.  I found that, with the exception of Thom Yorke (for which I camped out for an hour), I was able to get a great spot in front of the soundboard for any set by getting there just 10 minutes early.  It might have helped, though, that I avoided the sets of bands that are big with the kids these days (MGMT, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, etc.). 

Lines for food, etc., also didn't seem too bad at any time.

My buddy and I accidentally found a back way to drive into the festival, and we never waited more than about 15 minutes to park, which was great.  Also, we got there early each day and getting in to the festival never took more than about 15 minutes.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2010, 08:41:10 pm »
My buddy and I accidentally found a back way to drive into the festival, and we never waited more than about 15 minutes to park, which was great.  Also, we got there early each day and getting in to the festival never took more than about 15 minutes.

two great tips for making entry and exit a breeze.  everybody comes in on monroe st.  solution?  don't take monroe st.
<sig>

betao

« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2010, 09:48:39 pm »
Whippy,

That's very true. It does depend on the band and their current hype/popularity status. I remember finding  good spots for The Specials, Echo/Bunnymen, and especially PiL were incredibly easy. I instantly hated the crowds when a surge of teens rudely pushed their way towards the front of the outdoor theatre to get spots for Vampire Weekend as soon as Echo had finished. Kinda gives you an idea of the average age of the fans this year. Too many fucking kiddie ravers.

Also, acts like Yeasayer, Grizzly Bear, and Beach House over filled their tents. Trust me, I've been since 2008, and I know that with 15,000 less people, that probably would've worked out much better. Especially with the first two - unless you were about 15-20 minutes early, there was no way you were watching that set with a good spot with good sound. And if you were in the back of the crowds, the sound bleed from the do-lab would affect the experience.

At night, it was pretty rough. Trying to go from stage to stage or tent to tent often made you feel like a fish swimming upstream against everyone else going the other direction. Just too many people.

The overcrowdedness has drawn alot of attention and criticism this year. The regulars on the coachella board, who are devotees who look forward to it every year more than I do, are practically vowing to never return unless the problems are addressed. There's even a site for all of it: http://clusterfuckchella.wordpress.com

I'll probably go back, but if GV doesn't do something or at least address these issues, I won't be looking forward to it nearly as much.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2010, 09:18:22 pm »
I'm late to the party, but...this was my FAVORITE Coachella aside from a few minor gripes.

1) What the FUCK was up with getting out of the parking lot of Day 1? It took us two hours and change to GET OUT OF THE LOT. Seriously. Fuck their uncoordinated asses.

2) Less people, please?

--

Aside from that, I caught BRILLIANT sets from Sunny Day Real Estate, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Fever Ray, Gorillaz, Corinne Bailey-Rae (SHE'S KIND OF GREAT), Deerhunter, and The Gossip. Also loved Ra Ra Riot's set and Local Natives. Imogen Heap is the worst thing to happen to live music in a LONG time. Victoria from Beach House became hot like, overnight. Grizzly Bear looked bored.

And as for my biggest surprise of the fest...LUCERO.

Wowie wow. They are AMAZING. Gritty, raw vocals and one of the tightest southern rock bands I've seen. I would love to see them tour with the Heartless Bastards!
Woof.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2010, 10:12:55 am »
Yeah, Lucero is great.  I would have loved to catch them at Coachella, but my schedule didn't allow it.

I think Thatguy is a fan of theirs, judging by how hard he was rocking during the solo set Lucero's singer did opening for the Pogues a while back.  I think he was even shouting out song requests.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #86 on: April 30, 2010, 12:19:18 pm »
Yeah, Lucero is great.  I would have loved to catch them at Coachella, but my schedule didn't allow it.

I think Thatguy is a fan of theirs, judging by how hard he was rocking during the solo set Lucero's singer did opening for the Pogues a while back.  I think he was even shouting out song requests.

lucero is one of my favorites for sure.  just saw them at sonar a few weeks back, and it was amazing as always.  ben nichols' solo album is worth a listen as well.

requests are a big part of lucero shows.  everything usually starts off nice and neat, and then degenerates into something a bit more...organic.  there's nothting like seeing lucero live.

wml7

« Reply #87 on: April 30, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »

hmmmm.... imagine him in a mosh pit and knocking everyone over  ;D

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2010, 05:51:22 pm »
hmmmm.... imagine him in a mosh pit and knocking everyone over  ;D

i am waaaaay past the point of a mosh pit holding any appeal.  i don't go in there unless i'm being paid.

i tend to watch shows from somewhere near FOH.