Author Topic: Arthur Lee R.I.P.  (Read 2607 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Arthur Lee R.I.P.
« on: August 04, 2006, 05:33:00 am »
I'm so honored to have had the chance to see him perform live twice in the past couple of years.  The Arthur Lee and Love show at the Birchmere when they performed "Forever Changes" was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.  Getting to see him again with his old band mate Johnny Echols was another amazing set.  

Obit
T.Rex

snailhook

Re: Arthur Lee R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 05:39:00 am »
RIP, arthur! i was playing at the red and the black last night and found out right before our set, so i dedicated the set to the man who was responsible for my favorite album ever.

strangely, i had heard recently that he was working on a new album in memphis with members of the oblivians, which would have been amazing.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 09:13:00 am »
Ditto Kosmo.  I'm so grateful I got to see those two shows.  On stage he was truly larger than life.  The birchmere show ranks up there as one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life.

This is a sad sad day for me.  I'm seriously bummed.

RIP Arthur Lee.

TomJaworski

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 10:48:00 am »
I was stunned to hear the sad news. I saw Arthur & Love at the State Theater less than two years ago. He performed like a man half his age. It just doesn't seem fair...

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 03:48:00 pm »
I guess not everyone who abuses their body makes it to 90.

Originally posted by who the fuck are you?:
  Ditto Kosmo.  I'm so grateful I got to see those two shows.  On stage he was truly larger than life.  The birchmere show ranks up there as one of the most amazing musical experiences of my life.

RIP Arthur Lee.

chaz

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 04:14:00 pm »
Go fuck yourself.
Originally posted by Weird Little Self Loathing Man:

RIP Arthur Lee.
[/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2006, 04:21:00 pm »

RIP Arthur Lee.
[/b]
Go home and mow your lawn....
T.Rex

Guiny

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2006, 04:37:00 pm »

[/QB][/QUOTE]

That was great.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2006, 05:08:00 pm »
Thanks for ruining what was a really positive thread about a musician some of us think was exceedingly talented despite what his demons or lifestyle was....
T.Rex

ratioci nation

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »
Originally posted by kosmo vinyl:
  Thanks for ruining what was a really positive thread about a musician some of us think was exceedingly talented despite what his demons or lifestyle was....
You had to know it will happen,

1 - there will never be a death thread guiny will pass up because he loves to point out how its only ok to make jokes when its not a forum favorite
 2 - rhett will never pass up the chance to celebrate the failures and deaths of people who didnt live their life up to his standards.

poorlulu

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2006, 09:56:00 am »
Originally posted by pdx pollard:

2 - rhett will never pass up the chance to celebrate the failures and deaths of people who didnt live their life up to his standards. [/b]
This always amuses me.

What is the point living life as a government drone never taking risks, never doing anything outstanding and dying of boredom?

Personally I would settle for Lee's lot. At that Birchmere show, despite his age, his voice was outstanding. And I hate to sound flakey, but he had have a special aura about him, like he was supremely loved by the audience and whatever he did that would not change.

chaz

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
Originally posted by poorlulu:

2 - rhett will never pass up the chance to celebrate the failures and deaths of people who didnt live their life up to his standards. [/b]
This always amuses me.

What is the point living life as a government drone never taking risks, never doing anything outstanding and dying of boredom?

Personally I would settle for Lee's lot. At that Birchmere show, despite his age, his voice was outstanding. And I hate to sound flakey, but he had have a special aura about him, like he was supremely loved by the audience and whatever he did that would not change. [/b]
Agreed on all points....and yes there was something very special about that Birchmere show....

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 11:05:00 am »
I take my risks. I have backpacked the Grand Canyon, Mt. Marcy twice, the Smokies three times (twice alone), facing off with bears sniffing outside my tent several times, and being bitten by a scorpion on another occasion. I've run 13 marathons, and run at noon during this hot weather three times a week. I completely changed my career path at age 30, after having earned a Master's Degree and worked in a totally different field. I went overseas at age 22 with no money and no job propects and found a job and paid my lot, then travelled on my own for a month, sleeping on the floors of the trains because I didn't have the money for a hotel or a sleeping car.

Abusing drugs and alcohol isn't "taking a risk". It's stupidly throwing your life away.

Originally posted by poorlulu:

This always amuses me.

Personally I would settle for Lee's lot. At that Birchmere show, despite his age, his voice was outstanding. And I hate to sound flakey, but he had have a special aura about him, like he was supremely loved by the audience and whatever he did that would not change. [/b]

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2006, 11:41:00 am »
As usual in your attempts to continually provoke people on this board you miss the point... I and possibly other  posters in this thread will agree that people do studiply waste their lives with drugs, be they famous, rich, poor, artists, musicians, writers, etc, etc,  However, I'm not going to judge a persons entire life and what they accomplished on their lifestyle choices.

All that is being asked of you is to let some of us remember Arthur Lee for the vast influence he had on rock music and getting the chance to see him perform, and keep your judgements to yourself for once and in the future.
T.Rex

chaz

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2006, 03:29:00 pm »
BTW, what does drug and alcohol abuse have to do with any of this Rhett?  Arthur's death was unrelated to any lifestyle choices.  He died of cancer.  Did you even know that?

Pollard has you nailed perfectly.  You just love to celebrate the misery of those that just don't measure up to your boring standards.  I don't care how many mountains you've climbed or how many bears you've wrestled.  

And I'm still bummed.  I figured Arthur would patch things up with Baby Lemonade and they'd do a tour when he got better.