Author Topic: Thievery Corporation  (Read 8307 times)

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Thievery Corporation
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2010, 08:52:35 pm »

modern-day classic rock.

I wouldn't call that a ringing endorsement, either.

_\|/_

Vas Deferens

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »
DC's own Thievery Pooporation
(_|_)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2010, 08:09:55 pm »
great show, the missus and i thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  they played their "hits" (performing fan favorites - imagine that!) as well as a few surprises - the parliament/funkadelic mix was fun :)  they had a new female vocalist that i've never seen before.  seth jumped in on percs for "heart is a lonely hunter", otherwise that song was good ;D

the shows are being shot for a DVD.  they only have 3 cameras, but they're moving them every night so they'll have 15 angles to choose from when editing.

edit: the bass was obnoxiously loud for the first song, but they got it under control thereafter.  we were at the upper bar/balcony (got a stool and spent the evening there), and the bass was shaking the bar and creating ripples in our drinks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:49:57 pm by sweetcell »
<sig>

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2010, 08:45:49 pm »
the shows are being shot for a DVD. 
They say this everytime they do a multi-night stand, and never a DVD. :/

Good show, glad we passed on seeing more then one on this tour since they're still doing a carbon-copy setlist nightly.

grover.37

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2010, 11:49:55 am »
We got bored and left during the first encore on Friday night.  I hardly ever leave shows.

I'm done paying to see them after about half a dozen shows or more; the last two have been free. 

They are a great band, but very predictable as has been mentioned here.  I really want to see a DJ set, but unfortunately I had to miss the one last month.  Does that happen at ESL more regularly than I know of?

Edit: That article hit the nail on the head with the 'listless' comment.  I noticed the crowd was dead (on a Friday!?!) from the very beginning, and the band didn't seem to have much energy either, except maybe the bassist.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:53:56 am by grover.37 »

Christine Moritz

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2010, 01:36:05 pm »
They are a great band, but very predictable as has been mentioned here.  I really want to see a DJ set, but unfortunately I had to miss the one last month.  Does that happen at ESL more regularly than I know of?

There are usually one or two Thievery Corporation DJ sets at Eighteenth Street Lounge per year.  Sometimes it's both Eric Hilton and Rob Garza, and sometimes just Eric.

Eric also DJ'd the New Year's Eve party jointly hosted at Marvin and Patty Boom Boom.

and...

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2010, 01:52:19 pm »
hey, i was at the show on saturday, i guess i drank a little much, cause i can't clearly remember what songs were played...
does anyone know if sister nancy was there? singing on the song 'originality'

thanks

Christine Moritz

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2010, 02:09:13 pm »
does anyone know if sister nancy was there? singing on the song 'originality'
That was the D.C.-based Sista Pat.

fatskippy

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2010, 03:08:00 pm »
I noticed the crowd was dead (on a Friday!?!) from the very beginning

A DC crowd with zero energy?!?!

:::leaves thread in disbelief:::

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2010, 04:34:48 pm »
They say this everytime they do a multi-night stand, and never a DVD. :/

huh, never noticed the cameras before... maybe they'll do a "Thievery: Live Over the Years?" 

Edit: That article hit the nail on the head with the 'listless' comment.  I noticed the crowd was dead (on a Friday!?!) from the very beginning, and the band didn't seem to have much energy either, except maybe the bassist.

from our vantage point upstairs, the crowd looked and sounded pretty energized and rockin' on saturday.  maybe it was because they started a little late, gave folks an extra 30 minutes to build up energy and/or down a few extra drinks.  the place wasn't going ape-sh*t, but solid energy, lots of dancing, strong cheering between songs, etc.  any other saturday attendees agree/disagree?

i thought the openers, Ocote Soul Sound, were pretty good.  sorta worldbeat jam band gone funk.  they pleyed for almost an hour on saturday night, which seemed a little long given the content.  it was fun to dance/groove to but those endless solos were a bit much once or twice.
<sig>