Author Topic: Last.FM Virus Warning  (Read 6942 times)

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
Last.FM Virus Warning
« on: January 24, 2010, 05:48:53 pm »
Apparently, and unfortunately, the virus phenomena has caught up with Last.FM. (Or maybe it just took that long to hit my profile.) Luckily, I was suspicious and savvy enough not to click on the infected links. Phew!

In the past couple days I've received notices for my Shoutbox that contained links. Each were from people on my Friends list (obviously hacked). The first especially seemed legit except that I have seen just enough spam crap like this in my various email accounts that I decided to hold off on clicking the links just in case.

The first red flag was that the comment never appeared on my actual profile. Secondly, it wasn't noted activity on the sidebar of that person's profile.

The biggest red flag of all was that the root address of the link didn't look familiar to me at all. That was the kill shot for me so I just let it sit, untouched.

Then I got another notice that contained nothing but a link. No extra commentary as in the one above. Again, not a recognizable root address. When I checked that friend's profile, there were other comments there where others were posting that she may have left a virus on their profiles. Note: since then, Last.FM has removed that comment which only backs up my suspicion.

So, be on guard about clicking links on your Lst.FM profiles regardless of how well you may know and trust that person. Sure, there will be good and safe links but be vigilant about studying the root addresses and such before clicking.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:52:48 pm by Jaguar »

wml7

Re: Last.FM Virus Warning
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:52:50 pm »
Time to get a MAC Jagy so that way no worries about virues  ;D

Jaguar

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 05:55:17 pm »
No way, unless it's in addition to my main computing. I much prefer Oranges.  ;)

RatBastard

• Obscenitees
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:18:45 pm »
Time to get a MAC Jagy so that way no worries about virues  ;D

That's like saying why not ride a big wheel since your BMW gets a flat from time to time.  Got to love those mac people.  They love their toy computers to death!
FUKIT

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 07:27:27 pm »
uh, wm17: those e-mails could have been received by both mac users and pc users.  even if jag had a mac, she still would have received the e-mails. 
<sig>

Jaguar

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 07:37:12 pm »
Excellent point, Sweets!

Besides, they are placed on one's Last.FM profile until headquarters gets wind of it and removes them. That's totally bi-partisan, so to speak.

Just be careful and observant when venturing out all across cyberspace.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2010, 07:42:15 pm »
Plus, the more people that buy macs, the more likely it is that viruses will be written specifically to target Macs.

wml7

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:53:17 pm »
uh, wm17: those e-mails could have been received by both mac users and pc users.  even if jag had a mac, she still would have received the e-mails. 

yeah that's true.  what I meant was if she was on a mac and clicked on the links from her email, no harm would be done.  She could click to her hearts delight  ;D as no virus or worms have been writen for macs.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2010, 08:58:11 pm »
no virus or worms have been writen for macs.

false.
<sig>

wml7

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
great, just great

Jaguar

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2010, 09:28:10 pm »

false.

True.

Just read about one a couple months ago.

great, just great

True.

I mean, FALSE!  :D

Besides, even if my system is safe for whatever reason, I don't want it there for others to click away on.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2010, 08:15:59 pm »
Given that almost no Mac users use virus protection, because they falsely believe Macs are immune, I'm looking forward to the global Macpocalypse when some virus writer in Pakistan or Moldova is finally able to afford his first Mac.

_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 12:54:58 pm »
27>34

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 11:51:01 am »

false.

people say that because of the comparison factor of mac to pc. its not like hackers can't develop a virus for macs. just sayin'......