Author Topic: Tipping A Salon Owner  (Read 8279 times)

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Tipping A Salon Owner
« on: January 31, 2010, 09:00:12 pm »
I only allow my precious, precious mane to be touched by people who are quality enough to make enough $$$ to own their own salon. I recently read an article where people were arguing that it's etiquette to NOT tip your hair-dresser if they are the salon owner. Their justification for this was that salon owners set their own prices and none of their money gets split with anyone else, so it's perfectly fine to not tip them. Personally, I find this suspect; tipping is (1) to receive better service, (2) to express appreciation for the service rendered, and (3) to not come off like common, middle-class gutter trash.

What do you all think on this issue? If you pay less than $40/haircut, please do not respond.

vansmack

Re: Tipping A Salon Owner
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 09:17:35 pm »
I don't pay $40, but my "hairdresser" owns the salon and I always tip her at least 20%. 

More is Happy Ending is involved.
27>34

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2010, 09:19:27 pm »
Says Smackette, who pays WAY MORE than $40 -

"You look douchey if you don't tip."
27>34

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2010, 09:32:01 pm »
Right? This whole "you don't tip the salon owner" thing was way out of their for me, but I was open to the possibility that I had missed something.

I guess I kind of understand the logic behind "you don't tip the salon owner," but it just seems so white trash, like it's stretching for an excuse not to tip.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2010, 09:51:02 pm »
#  $16 what most millionaires pay for a haircut (including tip)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/30/AR2010013000031.html

walkonby

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2010, 10:06:49 pm »
it's always the people who claim to have, or do have money . . . that have no idea what tippping is about.  if you don't know how to tip, you don't deserve the service.  go cut your own hair and make your own chinese food.

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2010, 10:12:17 pm »
Right? This whole "you don't tip the salon owner" thing was way out of their for me, but I was open to the possibility that I had missed something.

I guess I kind of understand the logic behind "you don't tip the salon owner," but it just seems so white trash, like it's stretching for an excuse not to tip.

Maybe it is true, but then insisting on appointments with the owner would be like whipping out a coupon.
😐 🎶

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 10:20:28 pm »
Maybe it is true, but then insisting on appointments with the owner would be like whipping out a coupon.
I think the basis of the theory is that the salon owner generally charges more then their employees, plus the employees have a percentage taken out and given to the salon owner, whereas the owner, obviously, does not.

Again, I thought it was total garbage from the get-go, just wanted to see if I was missing some societal constraint I'd missed.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 11:07:43 pm »
#  $16 what most millionaires pay for a haircut (including tip)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/30/AR2010013000031.html
That's both timely and apropos to the discussion (although it doesn't mention how much they tip). Could it be you're actually becoming a redeemable member of our community?

NAH!!!

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 11:44:22 pm »
I think that people who think it's OK not to tip are cheapskates, no matter what the reason given.   They should not go out in public.

If you tip the salon owner, the tip will be appreciated (and it will probably be shared with the staff).

Same with a bar, if the owner happens to be serving you the tip will go to the rest of the staff.

_\|/_

James Ford

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 09:53:16 am »
Why don't you post a pic of your haircut and let US be the judge of whether he/she deserves a tip?

godsshoeshine

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:32 am »
I only allow my precious, precious mane to be touched by people who are quality enough to make enough $$$ to own their own salon. I recently read an article where people were arguing that it's etiquette to NOT tip your hair-dresser if they are the salon owner. Their justification for this was that salon owners set their own prices and none of their money gets split with anyone else, so it's perfectly fine to not tip them. Personally, I find this suspect; tipping is (1) to receive better service, (2) to express appreciation for the service rendered, and (3) to not come off like common, middle-class gutter trash.

What do you all think on this issue? If you pay less than $40/haircut, please do not respond.
was this article in whiskey tango quarterly
o/\o

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 10:35:21 am »
salons charge more than $40 in Richmond?  now that's a shock.
(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 10:39:44 am »
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/load/beauty/msg030040004574.html?23

RE: Tipping Owners of Salons?  clip this post email this post what is this?
see most clipped and recent clippings

Posted by brownthumbia (My Page) on Thu, Jun 25, 09 at 15:19

Boy, am I gonna stick out my neck and I already know I am NOT going to be very popular. BUT, I think tipping is totally not necessary. And I'll tell you why I feel that way. I worked in a nursing home for over 30 year, cleaning up everything you can imagine. My back is ruined because lifting 200 pounds of dead weight takes its toll. I've been bitten, kicked, hit, spit on, you name it. How much do you think I ever, in all those years got a dime for a tip? Also taking care of the dying, suffering, dealing with unappreciative families----you know the ones--the ones that could do it better than we do, (but then why weren't they taking care of them at home?)I could go on but I know you have the picture. I was never offered one thin dime and I didn't expect it. I worked there because I liked the job despite everything it stood for. When residents were appreciative for things I did for them, that was all the thanks I needed.
It's not just tipping in salons I resent, it's waitresses, doormen, cab drivers, etc. Do I tip my hair dressers? yes, but I do it begrudgingly. Sorry. 

wml7

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 10:44:28 am »
Why don't you post a pic of your haircut and let US be the judge of whether he/she deserves a tip?

Yes, please post a pic of your mullet and we will see how much to tip  ;D