Author Topic: nice  (Read 4186 times)

walkonby

walkonby

Re: nice
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2010, 10:26:46 pm »
"Music should be like football. Once you turn 40, you should become a manager or get lost. It's for kids. You lose perspective. You don't have 66-year-old football players. There's a reason for that."

i think this is the greatest thing i have ever heard.

azaghal1981

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 12:56:19 am »
Kevin Shields nearly drove McGee crazy during the recording of Loveless. But yeah, Grammys (and Coldplay) are a sham. This has been common knowledge for decades.
احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 09:29:43 am »
So does the over 40 rule apply to bands walkie likes?

Alan McGee is doing the trying to stay relevant by saying outrageous things routine.  Guess that last record label he started didn't take off..
T.Rex

walkonby

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 11:21:05 am »
has this already been discussed?  single ladies won song of the year for 2009, but it was released in 2008.  should it not quailfy for song of 2009?  and even though this was the year of taylor swift . . . i feel bad for her, because for the rest of her career she will be only be compared (as not as great) to her 2009 run.  like when radiohead released ok computer, then everybody hated them until they did something bizarro like the marketing of in rainbows.

and yes kosmo, a lot of bands that i like really start to suck or sound the same the older they get:  ween, sonic youth, flaming lips, rolling stones, dinosaur, the orb, rem, phish, any member of pink floyd, beck, bjork, prince . . . 

James Ford

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 11:28:31 am »
has this already been discussed?  single ladies won song of the year for 2009, but it was released in 2008.  should it not quailfy for song of 2009?  and even though this was the year of taylor swift . . . i feel bad for her, because for the rest of her career she will be only be compared (as not as great) to her 2009 run.  like when radiohead released ok computer, then everybody hated them until they did something bizarro like the marketing of in rainbows.

and yes kosmo, a lot of bands that i like really start to suck or sound the same the older they get:  ween, sonic youth, flaming lips, rolling stones, dinosaur, the orb, rem, phish, any member of pink floyd, beck, bjork, prince . . . 

Maybe you shouldn't limit yourself to rock music. Certainly many musicians in other genres hold up or improve with age.

azaghal1981

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 11:38:36 am »
Disclaimer: this guy likes Dinosaur's mid period (ewwwwwwww gross) stuff best.

احمد

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2010, 11:48:21 am »

Maybe you shouldn't limit yourself to rock music. Certainly many musicians in other genres hold up or improve with age.

rap/hip hop - beastie boys, public enemy, krs-1, ll cool j, dr. dre, eminem

country - kenny rogers, dolly parton, any thing with hank williams in the title, dixie chicks, toby keith, wilco

walkonby

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2010, 12:04:24 pm »
Disclaimer: this guy likes Dinosaur's mid period (ewwwwwwww gross) stuff best.

you know, i still have not heard "farm."  and the other day i listened to the first two albums . . . they made me smile and i was pleased.  god i 'm going soft.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2010, 12:07:54 pm »
You may call it "going soft;" I call it "coming around." :) Farm is excellent. Easily my favorite straightforward rock album in years.
احمد

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2010, 12:15:19 pm »
like when radiohead released ok computer, then everybody hated them until they did something bizarro like the marketing of in rainbows.
Yeah, everyone hated Kid A.

evilizac

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2010, 01:00:15 pm »
I think Rockers should be treated like drivers and the older you get the more often you have to go in to re-up your license/make sure all the proper skills still exist....
I'm a fan of a lot of late-late era Dylan, some late-late era Stones and Prine and the American Cash Series (not all mind you but I feel a lot of these artists need to bget aquainted with good editors) and I still love the last two Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros albums
     I also feel that many very good older artists of a pre CD era are so accustomed to the old vinyl time restrictions that they feel the need to fill out a full CDs worth of space every time (also how are London Calling, Exile On Main Street and Stadium Arcadium all double albums? one just does not belong). The Past two Stones albums have been glorified double albums... can they still rock? At very least debatable... can they hold a listeners attention for that kind of time and twice in a row? not bloody likely...
WHAT?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2010, 01:05:47 pm »
So does the over 40 rule apply to bands walkie likes?

obviously not... how old are the guys in widespread panic? ;D

country - (...) wilco

that's a bit of a stretch, innit?

Yeah, everyone hated Kid A.

well, nowadays they do - maybe this is part of the reason why...
<sig>

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:52:34 pm »
I can't tell if the over 40 quote is meant to be sarcastic or if the guy quoted in the article is just a dumb ass.

Sure, that quote could maybe apply to pop acts as a lot of popular acts lack the talent and skill to remain relevant after a few years of success.

However, I can think of many artists that stay relevant and have made and continue to make compelling, and critically acclaimed records well after turning 40. Off the top of my head I can think of the post 40 output of artists such as Lou Reed, Dylan, Leonard Cohen, and many more.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 03:52:23 pm »
lou reed . . . ?  hahahahahaha

his days are so past him all he can do is reissue.