Author Topic: joanna newsom  (Read 10901 times)

Relaxer

Re: joanna newsom
« Reply #45 on: March 23, 2010, 04:45:46 pm »
Scalp it on CL and scope out an extra outside of Spoon. You'd probably be more entertained by them.

Joanna Newsom will rock 19x more than Spoon will.
A deaf-mute-dumb paraplegic will rock 4x more than Spoon will.
The dead body of Gerald Ford will rock 2x more than Spoon will.
oword

Mabdul Doobakus

« Reply #46 on: March 23, 2010, 05:43:18 pm »
I went and thought it was awesome.  I agree about the long wait time between the opener and Joanna.  There was no reason for that.  I've always assumed venues do that to sell more beer, but there's no beer to sell at 6th and I, so who knows...

First time at the venue, and it was a beautiful place for a show.  I wasn't close enough to see her facial contortions in any great detail, so none of that bothered me, but her voice is better live, and watching her play the harp is kind of mesmerzing.  You get a much better sense of how varied and intricate her playing really is.  I think things lulled a little when she went to go play the piano for a few songs.  I couldn't actually see her at all at this point, as the giant harp was in her way.  Her backing band was okay, although I couldn't quite understand the point of the guy to her right.  He would switch instruments every 20 seconds, play for like 2 seconds, and then switch again.  I got the impression he was just making shit up on the fly, especially during the closing song, when he seemed to be on his own little world for a while, providing accompaniment that just didn't fit at all.  He also seemed like kind of an arrogant douche.  Rest of the band was appropriately low key.  I also thought Emily (the song) sounded unbelievably awesome, maybe one of the top 5 or so concert song experiences for me. 

Anyway, I'd go again tonight, if I had a ticket...it's definitely worth it.

James Ford

« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 08:09:52 am »
Hahahahhahahahahaha that's such a Joe comment.

and the way she contorts her face whilst singing is very distracting if you're close enough to see it. 

"Oooh, Andy, it's so big."

(cue NKOTB response here)

Relaxer

« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 09:53:56 am »
I disliked almost everything about this show. Arriving at 7:00 and then waiting out in the rain for half an hour for them to open the doors. The unbelievably, mind-staggeringly bad opening act (I'd say they were the most painful act I've seen in 10+ years -- only the Dude of Life in 1995 hurt me more). The 45-minute wait between the end of the openers and Joanna starting up. Her drummer and the constant nerdy robotic flourish he added to every beat. The way the instrumentation usually drowned out the sound of the harp. The way the whole show just reeked art.

All that, and probably more, and yet it was great. The sound was incredible, she is a musical master on that thing, the sounds sounded great and the whole thing was just lovely.

I was however distracted by the drummer and his whole "DRUMMING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS" routine, plus the fact that he was wearing a heavy sports jacket, a sweater, a shirt and presumably an undershirt. I mean, dude aren't you even a little warm in that get-up?

Anyway, a hard-won thumbs up.
oword

thirsty moore

« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 01:02:16 pm »
You saw the dude of life. Oh man.

Firebutt McGee

« Reply #50 on: March 24, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »
Went to night 1 of Joanna with my mom, and we both LOVED it from the balcony. Her facial contortions didn't bother me. The songs were the real highlight, and they came across gorgeous and really powerful live. More than a couple of people were crying in my row. You can't really deny her talent, guys.

Spoon was amazing last night though...get with it.
Woof.

azaghal1981

« Reply #51 on: March 24, 2010, 06:51:42 pm »
You went last night too?

Wish I would've known.
احمد

Relaxer

« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2010, 10:25:06 am »
Tuesday's show is up on npr.org
oword

walkonby

« Reply #53 on: March 25, 2010, 07:24:52 pm »
did this girl just pop up out the blue, or has she been establishing herself for years and it is just now that people are noticing, like me?  i've seen so many articles and visual entertainment with her name attached to it here lately as if she is the thing to listen to "for those in the (k)now."  i guess i'll have to listen to her somehow or other and make a judgement.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #54 on: March 25, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »
did this girl just pop up out the blue, or has she been establishing herself for years and it is just now that people are noticing, like me? 
Wow, man, yeah, she's pretty established. Her first two records sold over a quarter of million a piece (pretty high for modern indie harp music) and were lauded by the pitchfork's and tinymixtapes' of the world. She had been dissected and debated ad nauseum long before the release of Have One On Me.