Author Topic: Head-Roc?s Mouth: Venues? ?Polling? Practice Is Some BS!!  (Read 2563 times)

HeadRoc

Head-Roc?s Mouth: Venues? ?Polling? Practice Is Some BS!!
« on: February 17, 2010, 09:29:59 pm »
A couple articles on the hottest topic in the dc indie music scene!

Calling out venue's "polling" Bullshit:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/music/2010/02/09/head-rocs-mouth-venues-polling-practice-is-some-bullshit/

word from the "Darth Vader" of "polling" Bullshit:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/music/2010/02/10/is-polling-bullshit-head-roc-says-yes-venues-say-no/

Another venues take on the Bullshit of "polling" to pay bands:
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/music/2010/02/17/sins-of-admission-why-it%e2%80%99s-a-problem-when-a-club-asks-who-are-you-here-to-see/#comment-46748

Peace Family!

Head-Roc has the entire DC Music scene in an Uproar over running his ?Mouth? about local Venue?s using ?polling? practice scams to pay Musicians! Read all about it in the latest edition of Head-Roc?s ?Mouth?, a Blog published online by the always controversial Washington City Paper! MAKE SURE YOU READ THE COMMENTS!

The predatory practice of ?polling?, and Head-Roc?s campaign to eliminate it from the Chocolate City music scene, will without a doubt be hotly debated for weeks? maybe months to come! Supporters of Live music in gentrified Local myspace scenes Everywhere - We, the Indigenous Artists (pro and amateur) need your help!

Please read the Blog. Chime in with your comments/thoughts. Pass the link along, and most of all? get involved! When you go see local artists play in venues where there?s a door fee, simply ask at the door? ?How much of this $5, $10, $15 dollars im paying makes it to the Artist?s pocket??

Hey, that?s why we started ?Tip The Band?, Joe! (Tip the Band on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=172256285491)

Be Brave, but most of all be Just!

http://www.head-roc.com
http://www.godisheus.com
Follow Head-Roc and GODISHEUS on hollerboard killer.
Follow Head-Roc and GODISHEUS on Facebook.
Follow Head-Roc and GODISHEUS on Myspace.

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
Re: Head-Roc?s Mouth: Venues? ?Polling? Practice Is Some BS!!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:36:20 pm »
I love how you're hyped by City Paper as "an esteemed artist" and a "professional," yet you're playing polling shows.

This has nothing to do with the indie community. It has nothing to do with 99.99% of us on here or the acts we like. Go to poorasshiphopchat.com and maybe someone will give a shit about your travails in the Pay-To-Play/Polling world.

Geez.

HeadRoc

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »
LOL!!!!!!!

no, that wont work to throw me off the trail to address this bullshit. the best acts are not at the best venues period. read between the lines. better yet...

you play? lets play for the right to talk that shit my brother. put up or shut the funk up.

im around. waiting for people like you to accept the challenge. talk is cheap. music will tell the story. now, put up something that qualifie you to talk shit. no better yet, show me. andi dont care who the funk you are... never did.  you know it. thats why your barking. stay in your lane. have some respect and keep your mouth shut. i earned these stripes.

bests!

Head-Roc

azaghal1981

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:50:01 pm »
I agree with your premise that polling is in fact bullshit  but can't you just not play those venues that engage in the practice and urge your peers to do the same? That sounds like a more worthwhile approach than blogging about it. I disagree with Lambert's practices so I don't frequent his venues. As an artist, you have every right not to play them.

احمد

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:51:15 pm »
you play? lets play for the right to talk that shit my brother. put up or shut the funk up.

im around. waiting for people like you to accept the challenge. talk is cheap. music will tell the story. now, put up something that qualifie you to talk shit. no better yet, show me. andi dont care who the funk you are... never did.  you know it. thats why your barking. stay in your lane. have some respect and keep your mouth shut. i earned these stripes.
Yes, I don't have a band, therefore I couldn't possibly have an opinion as to what bands are good or not. You got me.

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 09:52:28 pm »
I agree with your premise that polling is in fact bullshit  but can't you just not play those venues that engage in the practice and urge your peers to do the same? That sounds like a more worthwhile approach than blogging about it.
Where's the free pub in that?

Man, this guy's talking about an adult response to disappointment! How uncool! You suck azgahal!

HeadRoc

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 10:40:33 pm »
 ?First They ignore You.

Then They laugh at You.

Then They fight You.

Then You win.?

you can fight all you want... but we about to win. On and off stage. This is about the music. who's playing thier instruments and who getting away with that "Bullshit"!

Some venues aint doing thier job to bring people in the house. they trying to be 930 club in 5 years without the over 20 year grind. they preying on the aspirations of Chocolate City artist and making them work like slaves. good artists. people who deserve to get more than $15 at the end of the night from a pompous outta town booking person who shall remain nameless. its insulting. and i dont care if only 20 people showed up. they paid $10 to get in. they drank. the ate.  most of all they had a good fucking time and came out to see the music they love. so many variables factor in on whos gonna show up to see anybodys band. whatever the case, and whoever showed up they generated more than a respectful amount to give a band who worked hard to make the night happen. especially when the club did nothing. funk that.  and that whats going on aat some veneus in town. wtf? who dont know that?

meanwhile, these terrible fucking hobby bands, work place environment formed, frehs outta high school. commericial industr immitation, post 911 pop culture, blaxploitation mocking (thats deep!), paper thin bands get the big stages???? that shit is horrible. come on! that aint no rock n roll. and serving liquor makes everybody jump drunk, so people acting a fool aint proof those bands are rocking. and they damn sure aint outrocking no REAL heart and soul Rock Band. real talk. 

its about the music. music is our job. theres a responsibility that come along with that. shit, we cant let super-capitalism rape and pillage everything. indie music is progressive and groundbreaking. too much 'artsy' bullshit is being approved. shit, we supposed to actually be PLAYING our instruments, right?

Chcoolate City Muscians and all Artist Unite against that buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullshit!

azaghal1981

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2010, 10:49:22 pm »
"a pompous outta town booking person who shall remain nameless."

He's already been named in this thread. ;)
احمد

HeadRoc

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 12:14:41 am »
my bad, you are right. ;-)

i dont want to say their name yet. (i was spelling their wrong. i knew it didnt look right. lol)

lots of musicians and consumers are in this forum. please share your experiences. we them. peep game:

Sins of Admission: Why It?s a Problem when a Club Asks, ?Who Are You Here to See??
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/blogs/artsdesk/music/2010/02/17/sins-of-admission-why-it%e2%80%99s-a-problem-when-a-club-asks-who-are-you-here-to-see/#comment-46756

Cali

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 01:52:27 am »
are you going to the town hall this saturday at dc9?

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 01:59:15 am »
This was a good thread.

Snailhook's and Dontdropbombs' posts are especially worth reading. Pretty sure all the info in there is still relevant except for the stuff about being in bed with Live Nation. Although polling wasn't the main issue in the thread, it was touched on.

احمد

snailhook

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 03:52:27 am »
i've been anti-polling since day one. when i first started booking the velvet lounge, they had implemented the polling practice for years, so i dealt with it, but made one huge change: i did not base the pay at the end of the night on who drew what. the only positive aspect to polling is to see who drew what so you can ascertain who has consistent draw, which is helpful when you have a high guarantee and need a local band to bring more than a few of their friends.

when i booked at dc9 and the red and the black, they had their doormen poll even after i would tell them not to. that was one of the reasons i stopped dealing with those places: blatant disregard for the promoter's wishes. i felt like i couldn't develop anything there.

i agree with the sentiment that if you don't like the venue, then boycott it. i hear local bands whine about lambert all the time, but only about a quarter of them have a backbone and won't play his places. it is true that dc has a serious lack of venues and alternative spaces, but i think things are getting better in that regard (i've noticed more houses and weird spots hosting shows in the last couple of years). this is a good trend that i hope will continue to grow.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:10:01 pm by snailhook »

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 06:02:57 pm »
I love how you're hyped by City Paper as "an esteemed artist" and a "professional," yet you're playing polling shows.

This has nothing to do with the indie community. It has nothing to do with 99.99% of us on here or the acts we like. Go to poorasshiphopchat.com and maybe someone will give a shit about your travails in the Pay-To-Play/Polling world.

Geez.

Well, I'll be damned, Julie. There you go again offering some insight to another hip hop artist on the board. But you know....if this affected karoake at Sticky Rice.....ah maaaaaaaan, you'd be all over this, right? LOL. Just jokes, homie. One of these days you should show your face and tell us how you really feel. You a weleb, right? I need your autograph......

Waddup Head Roc?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 06:09:50 pm by Ardamus »