Author Topic: Lollapalooza 2010  (Read 31430 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Lollapalooza 2010
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:39 am »
are there any bands nowadays that are big enough to go away for 10-20 years and come back for a "needed(?)" reunion.

only time will tell  ;)

although i suspect Wilco, The Decemberists, Belle & Sebastien, would make that cut, as unfortunately the likes of Kings of Leon and the Strokes.
T.Rex

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2010, 11:24:34 am »
Today's letter is I.

http://2010.lollapalooza.com/

DotTheEyes

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2010, 03:07:52 pm »
as unfortunately the likes of Strokes.

Awwww....   :'( :'(

The Strokes are now being intro'd with "unfortunately the likes of."  Sad!

wml7

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05:24 pm »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2010, 11:23:59 am »
lineup 100% confirmed: http://2010.lollapalooza.com/
<sig>

DotTheEyes

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2010, 01:06:33 pm »
Glad to see The Cribs listed.  Still hoping they can breakthrough in the States soon.  Their show at the Club in January was amazing.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2010, 03:32:16 pm »
theyve played lolla at least once before (if not last year, the year before) and prob more times than that. Theyve played the States a bit too. Unless their show has gotten better, they were one of the most boring bands Ive seen live.

Glad to see The Cribs listed.  Still hoping they can breakthrough in the States soon.  Their show at the Club in January was amazing.
HeyLa

James Ford

« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2010, 12:04:29 pm »
http://www.popmatters.com/pm/feature/123010-a-fanatical-fan-with-fanatical-opinions-an-interview-with-jim-deroga/P1/

What was the best concert you saw in 2009?
I really liked the Jesus Lizard at Pitchfork. I was blown away by Ida Maria at Lollapalooza. I despise Lolla though. It?s just a corporate suck-fest. Even the things that you see there that happen to be great like Ida Maria would have been a million times better at Metro.

There?s just no danger.
Exactly. It?s Wal-Mart.

I like the way Pitchfork Fest is run.
There?s a real sense of community. It?s hard to walk ten feet at Pitchfork without running into someone you know. It?s much more a music community vibe where Lollapalooza is a shopping mall. But rock and roll should happen indoors at night. The live experience at at a fest is never as good as a focused club experience.

What do you think of the proliferation of festivals becoming the only way some people experience live music?
I think it?s a bad thing. The recurring question I always get when I?m in the crowd is, ?Hey, do you know who this is onstage right now?? Which tells me that the people are not even there for the music necessarily. They?re there to make the scene. That?s always going to be inferior to people who are going to see a particular band because they?re there to see that band.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2010, 06:13:28 pm »
DeRogatis is the joe marshmallow of music critics: if a band plays venues bigger than the BC backstage, he won't like them.  i'd EXPECT him to hate lolla, sasquatch, etc.  he hated lolla before he ever stepped foot inside.  his opinion is predictable and not particularly insightful.
<sig>

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 07:48:42 am »
Even the things that you see there that happen to be great like Ida Maria would have been a million times better at Metro.

duh.

The recurring question I always get when I?m in the crowd is, ?Hey, do you know who this is onstage right now?? Which tells me that the people are not even there for the music necessarily. They?re there to make the scene.

ummm...They're trying to learn about the band on stage.  That's a bad thing? 

blinkboy

« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 08:42:18 am »

The recurring question I always get when I?m in the crowd is, ?Hey, do you know who this is onstage right now?? Which tells me that the people are not even there for the music necessarily. They?re there to make the scene. That?s always going to be inferior to people who are going to see a particular band because they?re there to see that band.

I suppose that would be one thing if it was 10pm on the main stage, but at 2pm on a small stage (undoubtedly this cool cat doesnt go for the headliners) is completely acceptable. Theres only 80 bands on the list so excuse some folks for not memorizing every one of them!

Its actually the great thing about festivals. Put Phoenix and the Strokes on the bill and get people to come and then the smaller bands have this HUGE crowd to prospective listeners that may walk by their stage and be like "hey, who are they? i like them".  Festival promoters put these shows on to make money, fans go to hear music, and the bands play because its a perfect chance to get new fans, which means more money.

Its funny how some people dont understand that their favourite band isnt just on this earth for their enjoyment!

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 08:56:26 am »
DeRogatis is the joe marshmallow of music critics: if a band plays venues bigger than the BC backstage, he won't like them.  i'd EXPECT him to hate lolla, sasquatch, etc.  he hated lolla before he ever stepped foot inside.  his opinion is predictable and not particularly insightful.

festival fanboy
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
I think it's the not even taking the time to know the name of the band aspect that he objects to.

Maybe I'm a bit of a music geek in that I'll take the schedule and map out which stage I want to be at what time. I'll actually take the time to go to band websites and check out a song or two of those I'm not familiar with. I've discovered a number of bands I liked that way.

What he's objecting to is the person who's there primarily for the party of it all rather than the music aspect. Someone who has so little respect for the music that they don't even bother to look at the schedule and see what the name of the band is.

If that same person was at a club show talking their way through the set of a band you liked, you'd be bitching about them.

I guess what I'm saying is I see his point.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:36:28 am by James Ford »

nkotb

« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 09:23:48 am »
I was about to write something similar, but you laid it out much better.

If that same person was at a club show talking there way through the set of a band you liked, you'd be bitching about them.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 09:47:16 am »
It happens frequently at IOTA. Stupid Virginians  :-*

If that same person was at a club show talking their way through the set of a band you liked, you'd be bitching about them.

(_|_)