Author Topic: Thoughts on Steely Dan?  (Read 4331 times)

James Ford

Thoughts on Steely Dan?
« on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:52 am »
What are your thoughts on Steely Dan?

Bonus points if you can make your point in more than the lowest common denominator form that Rhett often resorts to.

thirsty moore

Re: Thoughts on Steely Dan?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:42:12 am »
My Dad never stopped listening to this band. I like them.

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make this thread a wonderful thaaaaaaang

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 11:45:40 am »
when asked to put on a CD at a party, i'm often torn between Steely D and Puddle of Mudd.
<sig>

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 11:49:34 am »
Occasionally I'm torn by what's a better greatest hits album. Bob Marley's Legend or A Decade of Steely Dan.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:00:59 pm »
I like Steely Dan.  Aja was one of the first records I ever bought with my own money.  It's one of those "absolutely perfect" records.  But I've never felt the need to go much deeper than their greatest hits disc.  Between that and Aja, that just seems like enough.  Their reunion tour in '93 was pretty good.  But again - I haven't felt the need to see them since. Once was plenty.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 12:23:03 pm »
dammit, chutney - you've won this time, but i'll be back.  mark my words, i shall beat you some day!
<sig>

ggw

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:57:57 pm »
Their early stuff is alright.  If you have "Gold" or "A Decade of" you have 85% of their decent stuff covered.

Relaxer

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 02:02:40 pm »
I love this band and think it would be a shame to reduce them to a greatest hits listen.

"Pretzel Logic" to me is absolutely flawless, every song is great. "Countdown to Ecstacy" and "Katy Lied" are also great, almost perfect, and I have a weird love for "Royal Scam". The first one and everything from "Aja" onward is all fine but lacks the bite of the ones above. For the longest time, the Dan just sounded like sterile L.A.-in-the-70s lite rock but the more I listened to it, the more I heard the superb musicianship, cynical lyrics and crystaline production.

You can do fine with a collection but you miss the overall vibe of the classic albums. History reeks out of those early albums.
oword

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 02:08:16 pm »
I love this band and think it would be a shame to reduce them to a greatest hits listen.

"Pretzel Logic" to me is absolutely flawless, every song is great. "Countdown to Ecstacy" and "Katy Lied" are also great, almost perfect, and I have a weird love for "Royal Scam". The first one and everything from "Aja" onward is all fine but lacks the bite of the ones above. For the longest time, the Dan just sounded like sterile L.A.-in-the-70s lite rock but the more I listened to it, the more I heard the superb musicianship, cynical lyrics and crystaline production.

You can do fine with a collection but you miss the overall vibe of the classic albums. History reeks out of those early albums.

Anyone who claims to like/love Steely Dan and listens to only the greatest hits album is missing out BIG TIME. Countdown to Ecstasy is still my favorite album and I also love Can't Buy a Thrill and Pretzel Logic. I have a couple bootlegs from the early 70s when they were on the Countdown tour and they are just mind-blowing. Boston Rag, King of the World, Razor Boy, Bodhisattva, My Old School, and the greatest SD song ever, Show Biz Kids, live in their infinite glory.

Aja is good, but it's easy listening SD.

If you were new, I'd suggest starting from the first album and moving on.

"ANYONE LEFT ON THE RIO GRAND IS THE KING OF THE WORLD AS FAR AS I KNOW."

thirsty moore

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 02:12:08 pm »
Whoa there. I only said it's a good greatest hits album. Steely Dan's albums stand on their own.

Mobius

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:27:45 pm »
I think Steely Dan is a lot like Woody Allen . . .quintessential 70's New York vibe and/or LA vibe, hyper-intelligent and refined yet subversive, representing the educated neurosis of both New York and the New Yorkers that made LA.  Steely Dan is super-slick but there's often a kind of funk, or humor or life in there.   I like them.

James Ford

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 02:38:08 pm »
Steely Dan has always seemed like the Kenny G of rock in my mind. I mean, I know I'm guilty of having middle of the road tastes compared to some of the "hipsters" who post on this board, but their music has always seemed too overprocessed and perfect to me.  Like the Eagles.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 02:50:25 pm »
Woody Allen is an overrated hack.

James Ford

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 02:53:32 pm »

No truer words will be spoken on this board this week.

walkonby

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 04:52:37 pm »

and you are . . . ?