Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377369 times)

Brian_Wallace

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #255 on: July 21, 2010, 09:08:55 am »

Seth Hurwitz's response to James Ford.

Spiral Stairs' response to Pitchfork.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/07/mystery-solved-why-pavements-scott-kannberg-is-pissed-at-pitchfork.html

Compare/Contrast.

For the record, I think the Virgin Freefest is a lovely idea and am thankful to Mr. Hurwitz, et al for providing the opportunity to expose some new music.  It is much appreciated and I actually really like Merriweather Post Pavillion.  Even the parking.  But then, I'm a lot more rural.

However, in a not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees moment, I think you're crazy if you think (to the general public) the two artists that people most want to see are Pavement and LCD.  A free concert with Ludacris and T.I.?

I don't have a cell phone or have attended in the past so I think I will try to get tickets Saturday morning with the great, unwashed masses.

Brian

Yada

« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2010, 10:11:22 am »

Seth Hurwitz's response to James Ford.

Spiral Stairs' response to Pitchfork.

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/daily/2010/07/mystery-solved-why-pavements-scott-kannberg-is-pissed-at-pitchfork.html

Compare/Contrast.

For the record, I think the Virgin Freefest is a lovely idea and am thankful to Mr. Hurwitz, et al for providing the opportunity to expose some new music.  It is much appreciated and I actually really like Merriweather Post Pavillion.  Even the parking.  But then, I'm a lot more rural.

However, in a not-seeing-the-forest-for-the-trees moment, I think you're crazy if you think (to the general public) the two artists that people most want to see are Pavement and LCD.  A free concert with Ludacris and T.I.?

I don't have a cell phone or have attended in the past so I think I will try to get tickets Saturday morning with the great, unwashed masses.

Brian

I guess I was stupid to assume Pavement would potentially be the headliner at this thing. Oh well, as long as there is a schedule announced I'll go up there for a free hour of Pavement.

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #257 on: July 21, 2010, 10:24:02 am »
I guess I was stupid to assume Pavement would potentially be the headliner at this thing. Oh well, as long as there is a schedule announced I'll go up there for a free hour of Pavement.

I'm sorry.  I didn't make myself clear.  I still think LCD Soundsystem and Pavement are the headliners.  They'll go on last and play the longest sets.

I was just trying to say that to the general public, a free, outdoor T.I. and Ludacris concert is more appealing than a free, outdoor LCD Soundsystem or Pavement concert.

Maybe it's a good thing.  The two audiences aren't that similar so maybe it'll be less crowded by the time Mr. Murphy and Mr. Malkmus take the stage.

Brian

James Ford

« Reply #258 on: July 21, 2010, 10:39:23 am »
Am I the only one who thinks Thievery Corporation will be a headliner?

They have headlined at MPP before, right?

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #259 on: July 21, 2010, 10:46:41 am »
REgarding my 30th anniversary show comment...

It was made in response to someone who was saying they were sick of all the talk of the final episode of LOST. I was basically responding that I was sick of all of the endless speculation regarding the 30th anniversary show. If Person A hadn't condescendingly shitted on LOST fans, I wouldn't have responded with my smartass comment.

Regarding my prediction of this year's Virgin Fest lineup. Get over yourself. Countless people on this board have made insulting predictions in the last year regarding this year's lineup. As many have made equally insulting comments about last years lineup. Moreover, I have stated numerous times that I actually thought last year's lineup was a good lineup, and that I enjoyed the day. My comment predicting "some crappy 90's band like Pavement, Soundgarden, or FNM" reflects my distaste for the "alternative/indie" music of that era. If anyone takes that as condescending or as an insult, then they're pretty thin skinned.

As for this years lineup, very little appeals to me, but I'm sure the indie hipsters are singing it's praises.
This is gay. It's the internet, people. Fucking chill out.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #260 on: July 21, 2010, 10:48:56 am »

I'm sorry.  I didn't make myself clear.  I still think LCD Soundsystem and Pavement are the headliners.  They'll go on last and play the longest sets.

I was just trying to say that to the general public, a free, outdoor T.I. and Ludacris concert is more appealing than a free, outdoor LCD Soundsystem or Pavement concert.

Maybe it's a good thing.  The two audiences aren't that similar so maybe it'll be less crowded by the time Mr. Murphy and Mr. Malkmus take the stage.

Brian
This just doesn't make sense, Pavement might headline the 2nd stage, LCD will not headline the main stage. It's going to be MIA headlining the main stage, she has the world on her nuts and hasnt been in the area in almost 3 years, her old fans and everyone who heard about her a year ago are all going crazy because SHES going to be headlining. Take that to the money bank.
‼‼?‼‼

mahimahi1414

« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2010, 10:53:38 am »
Does anyone think they could totally split up the acts so the more hipster/indie acts (sorry if I'm using a broad stereotype here) are all on one stage. They basically did that last year putting all the pop punk acts (Blink, Weezer, Jet, Bravery etc.) on one stage). A lot of times in the past the two biggest names on the bill were on the same stage (i.e. RHCP & Who in 06, Beastie and Police in '07, Weezer and Blink '09)

So the schedule could look something like this...

General Public Stage (Pavilion)
Jimmy Eat World 12-1
Joan Jett 130-230
TI 230-345
Thievery Corp 415-6
Ludacris 630-8
MIA 830-10

Indie Stage (Where West Stage was last year)
Temper Trap 12-1
Edward Sharpe 130-230
Yeasayer 3-415
Matt & Kim 445-6
LCD Soundsystem 630-8
Pavement 830-10

Feel free to debate times etc.... you probably know more than I do but I just thought that this sort of made sense.

James Ford

« Reply #262 on: July 21, 2010, 10:54:37 am »
Mainstage: Thievery, with MIA supporting
SEcond Stage: Pavement, with LCD supporting

mahimahi1414

« Reply #263 on: July 21, 2010, 10:59:43 am »

I think they played 930 last time they were in town though. Even though it was 4 nights or something, I'd expect MIA would be playing bigger venues. Pavement is doing at least some pavilions.

James Ford

« Reply #264 on: July 21, 2010, 11:16:28 am »
But Seth manages Thievery, and it would make good business sense to have them headline the mainstage.

Otherwise, I think your stage/time breakdowns sound pretty on the money.

I think they played 930 last time they were in town though. Even though it was 4 nights or something, I'd expect MIA would be playing bigger venues. Pavement is doing at least some pavilions.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2010, 11:22:05 am »

thievery has headlined MPP.  i believe it was 2 years ago, frederico aubele --> ladytron --> TVotR -->
 TC.  really good show.  EDIT: link.  so while TC headlined, it was with the help of a strong lineup.  

i don't think TC will headline.  not with MIA around.  

"last time they were in town" - you do realize this IS their town, right? :)  they've been doing an annual  multi-night stand at the 930 for years now.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #266 on: July 21, 2010, 11:32:58 am »
Does anyone think they could totally split up the acts so the more hipster/indie acts (sorry if I'm using a broad stereotype here) are all on one stage. They basically did that last year putting all the pop punk acts (Blink, Weezer, Jet, Bravery etc.) on one stage). A lot of times in the past the two biggest names on the bill were on the same stage (i.e. RHCP & Who in 06, Beastie and Police in '07, Weezer and Blink '09)

So the schedule could look something like this...

General Public Stage (Pavilion)
Jimmy Eat World 12-1
Joan Jett 130-230
TI 230-345
Thievery Corp 415-6
Ludacris 630-8
MIA 830-10

Indie Stage (Where West Stage was last year)
Temper Trap 12-1
Edward Sharpe 130-230
Yeasayer 3-415
Matt & Kim 445-6
LCD Soundsystem 630-8
Pavement 830-10

Feel free to debate times etc.... you probably know more than I do but I just thought that this sort of made sense.
I can see this, I see Jimmy being later and Thievery possibly being stage 2 if not earlier on stage 1.
‼‼?‼‼

Got Haggis?

« Reply #267 on: July 21, 2010, 12:40:27 pm »
MIAs new album is terrible.

azaghal1981

« Reply #268 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:27 pm »
^Merzbow is in town the previous night. They should throw him into her set as a surprise guest. It may actually make her new shit palatable.
احمد

mdh9857

« Reply #269 on: July 21, 2010, 01:06:10 pm »
I agree and think it will be 1st: MIA headline, Thievery Support and 2nd: Pavement Headline, LCD Support.  LCD makes a logical segue into Pavement and I think that could blow some people away.

Despite thinking she will, I personally just don't think MIA has the fanbase to headline the festival (especially after the dud of her new album).  Based on popularity and the audience who goes to FreeFest TI and Ludacris are going to have huge audiences during the day, kind of like Lil Wayne a few years ago.  It'll be interesting to see how much of the crowd stays around.