Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377397 times)

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #885 on: September 24, 2010, 02:49:32 pm »
Profound = protools
Any dj/producer would much rather sit in a room with a synthesizer and 1000 filters than work on a computer program. Not saying they don't use pro-tools, every producer/DJ uses them, but if every single one of them had a choice, it would be recorded like a full on rock album. Vocalists, instruments, the whole 9. I think it's unfortunate how much people shit on dj's and dance music.
‼‼?‼‼

Got Haggis?

« Reply #886 on: September 24, 2010, 02:52:10 pm »
I agree with that, I saw them at the Ottobar earlier this year and pretty much exactly what I thought.  I wasn't even sure the singer was singing most of the time, and when the guitar player was on stage, i think most of the guitar sounds were coming from the laptop, not his guitar.

I guess the Sleigh Bell backlash has begun.  I was at that show as well.   I thought they were pretty good.  I don't know how much was live but look at how many people go see Daft Punk and they are probably not even in the country for their shows.  Much less playing anything live

its a problem I have with almost all music today....it seems acceptable to hit play on a laptop and not make much of the music live.  hell, i love dan deacon and uses an ipod when playing live. i can somewhat understand that, as it would be totally unrealistic to recreate everything live by himself (i'm not talking about the ensemble) i like what dan did with the ensemble - re-creating live, with people actually playing instruments, out of something that created in reason/pro-tools.

i think the sleigh bells live experience is highly highly highly overrated.

K8teebug

« Reply #887 on: September 24, 2010, 02:57:51 pm »
Well, I don't feel so bad about missing them now.

killsaly

« Reply #888 on: September 24, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »
I dont know about all of Dans work but wiki says:
Originally to be released in the fall of 2008, Deacon's new album entitled Bromst was released on March 24, 2009.[5] It was produced by Chester Gwazda at Snow Ghost Studios in Whitefish, Montana and features live instruments including player piano and a variety of percussion instruments.

That sounds a bit more involved than him firing up Reason.  I really dont know about all of his recorded output though.  

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #889 on: September 24, 2010, 03:17:44 pm »
Profound = protools
Any dj/producer would much rather sit in a room with a synthesizer and 1000 filters than work on a computer program. Not saying they don't use pro-tools, every producer/DJ uses them, but if every single one of them had a choice, it would be recorded like a full on rock album. Vocalists, instruments, the whole 9. I think it's unfortunate how much people shit on dj's and dance music.

based on that first sentence alone, i'm going to guess that you don't know much about electronic music production.  your sweeping statements about ALL electronic artists are funny.

awright, enough of this crap... let's get back to talking about the festival!
<sig>

hutch

« Reply #890 on: September 24, 2010, 03:18:47 pm »
for the VIP TOur how does that work? Do you show up at a certain time or what?

atomicfront

« Reply #891 on: September 24, 2010, 03:31:31 pm »
I agree with that, I saw them at the Ottobar earlier this year and pretty much exactly what I thought.  I wasn't even sure the singer was singing most of the time, and when the guitar player was on stage, i think most of the guitar sounds were coming from the laptop, not his guitar.

I guess the Sleigh Bell backlash has begun.  I was at that show as well.   I thought they were pretty good.  I don't know how much was live but look at how many people go see Daft Punk and they are probably not even in the country for their shows.  Much less playing anything live

its a problem I have with almost all music today....it seems acceptable to hit play on a laptop and not make much of the music live.  hell, i love dan deacon and uses an ipod when playing live. i can somewhat understand that, as it would be totally unrealistic to recreate everything live by himself (i'm not talking about the ensemble) i like what dan did with the ensemble - re-creating live, with people actually playing instruments, out of something that created in reason/pro-tools.

i think the sleigh bells live experience is highly highly highly overrated.

Having seen both Dan Deacon and Sleigh Bells at the Ottobar this year I would say I enjoyed the Sleigh Bells set a lot more.  Of course, all the aholes at the Deacon show probably had something to do with it but I guess even with a common crowd I would have enjoyed Sleigh Bells more. 

atomicfront

« Reply #892 on: September 24, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »
So is this 4 people for car BS, I hope?

wml7

« Reply #893 on: September 24, 2010, 04:25:34 pm »
So is this 4 people for car BS, I hope?

yeah, it's probably not true.... it has to be 6 per car  ;D

joeposh

« Reply #894 on: September 24, 2010, 04:26:43 pm »
It says upon arrival that VIP ticket holders should head to the West Plaza, do we know if that's an entrance point or some spot within the venue? I've only been to MPP a few times and am not that familiar with the layout (and I can't seem to find a map of the grounds online).

Nevermind, after reading some other sections it seems to be a special location within the venue for this event.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:01:42 pm by joeposh »

hutch

« Reply #895 on: September 24, 2010, 04:30:07 pm »
It says upon arrival that VIP ticket holders should head to the West Plaza, do we know if that's an entrance point or some spot within the venue? I've only been to MPP a few times and am not that familiar with the layout (and I can't seem to find a map of the grounds online).

Does it say when you have to arrive? Is it presumed at 11 am or what?

Why is everything relating to the tickets so unclear? I'm asking this question for a friend who has a VIP.. if he has to go early we all have to go early.

joeposh

« Reply #896 on: September 24, 2010, 04:52:08 pm »

Why is everything relating to the tickets so unclear? I'm asking this question for a friend who has a VIP.. if he has to go early we all have to go early.

Here's what I've gathered regarding parking and entry:

? Early access to priority parking in the main lot from 9am - 10am
? Avoid the Line Entry - VIP entrance at South Gate
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:01:01 pm by joeposh »

nkotb

« Reply #897 on: September 24, 2010, 05:08:15 pm »
Huh...picked up the 52% tickets, and just got an email from the club with info on backstage tours.  I mean, I probably won't go, but that's interesting.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #898 on: September 24, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »

Here's what I've gathered regarding parking and entry:

? Early access to priority parking in the main lot from 9am - 10am
? Avoid the Line Entry - VIP entrance at South Gate
.......I waited, maybe, 45 seconds to get in last year. What a waste of money. You can't even god damn drink in the parking lot so what's the point of being there 2 hours early!? Parking close? Then being stuck at the ass end of traffic at the end of the night! Poop! VIP is a jip!
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #899 on: September 24, 2010, 05:36:44 pm »
so i was listening to this gay show the other day, yeah i know, don't ask, and they were talking about who's cute in the world of the billionaires, the ones who own it all and are still kicking.  bill gates and warren buffett were immediately thrown under the bus.  the guy from facebook was too young and "a backstabbing thief anyway."  koch (are you kidding), oprah (uhmmmm) . . . then the name of richard branson came up, and a hush fell over the room.  no one had thought of richard until then.  he was older yes, but not old man old and yes, he was "cute older."  "yummy older", dare they say? 

i found it funny and thought of the freefest.  have fun you crazy cats and stay away from the kids who like too much.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:39:04 pm by walkonby »