Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377359 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #930 on: September 26, 2010, 08:49:51 am »
Did anyone see M.I.A.?  Looking back through twitter, people's reactions are pretty divided as to her performance, which started 30 minute late to begin with...
T.Rex

K8teebug

« Reply #931 on: September 26, 2010, 08:51:36 am »
My husband did and said she was awful.

Hieronymus

« Reply #932 on: September 26, 2010, 08:58:03 am »
Overall, a pretty excellent day...

Pavement totally destroyed. Malkmus was absolutely on his game, both musically and personality-wise. That setlist was immense.

Missed the first 30 mins of LCDSS 'cos friends I was with wanted to see MIA, which was one of the shittiest sets I've experienced in recent memory. A lot of visual and auditory noise, soggy "hard" beats, and images of war and current events used for aesthetic gimmickry without saying anything worthwhile. Plus, she can't sing and she can't rap, so all she can do is lazily shout into the mic. What an absolute talentless whore. After starting late, she wasted the first 10 minutes with a dark stage and a DJ making some ominous noises and nothing going on. She is just the worst.

LCD were glorious, though. Came in as All My Friends was starting, which was perfect. Tribulations was the peak, though. Crowd was great as well.

Yeasayer were enjoyable as always, Chromeo caused madness and overcrowding in that forest (with good reason), Trombone Shorty was enjoyable. I didn't catch any sets besides MIA that I thought were offensively bad -- Thievery, Matt + Kim, and even Edward Sharpe (who I hate) provided some decent entertainment.

Decided to avoid the hassle of entering the pavilion after i heard the rules had changed, so I chilled in the very front center of the lawn, which was perfect and pleasant. Sound + sightlines were ideal, spot had a real backyard vibe to it.

Other major plus was that Loft area... took a solid 40 minute nap sprawled on one of those bed mofes.

All in all: thanks a bunch Seth et al!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:00:54 am by Hieronymus »

nkotb

« Reply #933 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:36 am »
I found that, when leaving the pit for Pavement, far too many guards and people in line were distracted by the fireworks.  Made it pretty easy to sneak around them and casually insert oneself into the line :)  Normally, I wouldn't have, but I figured I was owed it with that last minute change of where I could get with my Livigin Social Ticket.

Great set-up, though.  Pavement and LCD were absolutely phenomenal, and I caught all of Joan Jett's set too.  She's still pretty amazing.  Caught a little of TC, and then most of Matt & Kim while sitting at 9:32.  Boy...that was annoyed.  FYI: if you're going to cover a song during your set as a gimmick, its pretty lazy to not even learn the verses. 

Good catching up with Kosmo, Joe and BookerT.

Oh, and PS, I think I was standing in that puddle of blood on the floor during Pavement.  Gross.

Managed to catch both from the pit....

how did you pull that off?  didn't they clear out the pit after pavement, with a bzillion lcd fans already lined up to get in?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:37:07 am by nkotb »

nkotb

« Reply #934 on: September 26, 2010, 09:52:30 am »
Oh, and final PPS: thanks to the bro that threw glitter pretty much directly in my face during LCD.  My arms, hair and chest are STILL covered, so I'm now spending the day trying to convince my wife I was really at FreeFest and not Blow Off.

lagas

« Reply #935 on: September 26, 2010, 09:57:26 am »
re: that puddle of blood, i was in the pit during joan jett's set when suddenly saw thatguy grabbing some dude from behind and slammed him to the floor really hard, obviously, the guy just stayed there with a bloody face, surrounded by guards and paramedics... i asked thatguy what happened but clearly it seemed he was worried that perhaps he used a little bit too much of power trying to calm the dude, so he didn't answer...what was this guy doing to deserve such punishment?

overall had a great time, yeasayer was pretty good, same thing with trombone shorty and chromeo, i stayed two minutes into MIA set and realized that i should avoid her completely, so i walked to the pavilion to check LCDSS, which were amazing, my girlfriend stayed in the west stage for MIA but shortly after she was by my side, complaining about how overrated she is...thanks Seth and everybody involved, it was a great day...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:00:25 am by lagas »
zorra

wml7

« Reply #936 on: September 26, 2010, 10:06:38 am »
re: that puddle of blood, i was in the pit during joan jett's set when suddenly saw thatguy grabbing some dude from behind and slammed him to the floor really hard, obviously, the guy just stayed there with a bloody face, surrounded by guards and paramedics... i asked thatguy what happened but clearly it seemed he was worried that perhaps he used a little bit too much of power trying to calm the dude, so he didn't answer...what was this guy doing to deserve such punishment?

overall had a great time, yeasayer was pretty good, same thing with trombone shorty and chromeo, i stayed two minutes into MIA set and realized that i should avoid her completely, so i walked to the pavilion to check LCDSS, which were amazing, my girlfriend stayed in the west stage for MIA but shortly after she was by my side, complaining about how overrated she is...thanks Seth and everybody involved, it was a great day...

I was there in the pit for the guy acting out of hand and Josh.  Josh was trying to take him out of the pit because he was acting up in the pit.  The guy started kicking and hitting Josh, so Josh try to put him on the ground.  I guess all his weight went on the guy when he went to the ground.  Josh was doing his job, I mean that guy was flailing and kicking up a storm.  He was just trying to control the situation because his kicking almost hit some people in the pit.  I think Josh felt really bad as I could see it.  Of course he didn't want the guy to be hurt.  The bad thing about it is a lot of moron idiots were filming and taking pictures of the guy who was laying on the ground.  I mean come on idiots why do you want to tape that?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 10:14:49 am by wml7 »

walkonby

« Reply #937 on: September 26, 2010, 10:25:14 am »
why do you think?  lawsuit.  this pussy generation we live in . . . its all they know how to do anymore.  sorry josh, but don't be surprised if you and merriweather soon will be in court.  and with all those "cameras" everywhere thanks to people's obsessions with phones, i'm sure the incident is all over youtube, and soon cnn by now.

wml7

« Reply #938 on: September 26, 2010, 10:27:30 am »
I guess we shouldn't really talk about it until Josh talks about it or even if he wants to.

nkotb

« Reply #939 on: September 26, 2010, 10:29:56 am »
What WML said.  Joe and I were right behind it all, and the dude definitely started throwing punches and elbows back on Josh's head when he was being removed.

walkonby

« Reply #940 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:34 am »
and robbers sue people that shoot them as they are breaking into houses.  when people smell the chance of lawsuit, even if they deserve what they got . . . there is always a lawyer who will take the case, dissect it and put it back together the way they want it and need it to go, then win the case or atleast get some kind of $$ settlement.  welcome to the "easy" generation where downloads prevail and anything slacker is the norm.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #941 on: September 26, 2010, 10:47:05 am »
that dude was a big guy too and he threw big punches on josh's face....his face must have hit the floor...

What WML said.  Joe and I were right behind it all, and the dude definitely started throwing punches and elbows back on Josh's head when he was being removed.

(_|_)

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #942 on: September 26, 2010, 10:48:46 am »
I guess we shouldn't really talk about it until Josh talks about it or even if he wants to.

9:30/IMP policy: we do not discuss the specifics of anything like this in a public forum.

walkonby

« Reply #943 on: September 26, 2010, 10:51:08 am »
you see . . . lawsuit.

killsaly

« Reply #944 on: September 26, 2010, 10:59:52 am »
I had a blast, thanks Seth! I only watched Joan Jett, Thievery Corp, and Ludacris, and all three were excellent and worth the price.  I was a bit bummed about missing M.I.A., but had to bounce (plus it sounds like i might not have missed much).  The set up was still great, easy to get around, not too many people, beer not TOO expensive... Thanks again.