Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377303 times)

i am gay and i like cats

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #1035 on: July 12, 2013, 01:28:19 pm »
im pretty sure . . . the dead milkmen have that day open.

atomicfront

« Reply #1036 on: July 12, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »
I'll take Hall and Oates or Journey over a blockhead hard rock band like QOTSA any day.

Maybe the Washed Out date was off by a day. According to this, QOTSA Saturday in Atlanta:

http://www.accessatlanta.com/weblogs/atlanta-music-scene/2013/jun/17/music-midtown-announces-lineup/

which would give them Sunday for MPP.

Also, the MPP date was removed from the WAshed Out site, right?

Hall and Oates definitely, Journey and their fake singer? No way. 

I like Washed Out but I have seen him a couple of times already. 

hutch

« Reply #1037 on: July 12, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
I kind of agree with James Ford.. god do I ever hate to

what is the huge deal with Queens??? what do people enjoy about them?

I usually put in their CDs and enjoy them for 15 minutes..I really try to like them.. but first of all they are brickwalled to hell and give me a headache..second of all they have no hooks at all.. no melody..its just bludgeon music.

I much prefer Eagles of Death Metal..

hutch

« Reply #1038 on: July 12, 2013, 07:31:37 pm »
let me clarify that... before i head out to the specials and i'm having a tough time believing i'm going to see them and putting one foot in front of the other

let me clarify: i like bludgeon music..done well like black sabbath on Vol. 4 and Master of Reality it is A WE SO ME.. .but Queens ain't like that I'm afraid.

so what do people like about Queens?

James Ford

« Reply #1039 on: July 12, 2013, 08:34:43 pm »
There's a really good Indian restaurant there, though the name escapes me now.

let me clarify that... before i head out to the specials and i'm having a tough time believing i'm going to see them and putting one foot in front of the other

let me clarify: i like bludgeon music..done well like black sabbath on Vol. 4 and Master of Reality it is A WE SO ME.. .but Queens ain't like that I'm afraid.

James Ford

« Reply #1040 on: July 12, 2013, 09:16:45 pm »
Sure, a Hall and Oates show would beat a Journey show.

But I'll stand on Ronnie James Dio's grave in a pair of fairy boots and proclaim that Arnel Pineda is the best replacement singer ever.

shemptiness

« Reply #1041 on: July 12, 2013, 09:58:22 pm »

But I'll stand on Ronnie James Dio's grave in a pair of fairy boots and proclaim that Arnel Pineda is the best replacement singer ever.

I know you're always right, but Arnel Pineda never played with the Replacements.

hutch

« Reply #1042 on: July 13, 2013, 12:06:18 am »

Steve Earle took back his comment about Townes and Dylan....as well he should

Arnel is really good... better than Steve Perry would be today..

James Ford

« Reply #1043 on: July 15, 2013, 10:24:54 am »
Glad someone got my Steve Earle reference!

Steve Earle took back his comment about Townes and Dylan....as well he should

Arnel is really good... better than Steve Perry would be today..

bearman🐻

« Reply #1044 on: July 15, 2013, 11:08:56 am »

I think it's a bit complex. I can tell you right away that there's far more depth to Queens than EODM. Where Eagles of Death Metal are a really decent rock band with some killer tunes and a great sense of humor, QOTSA is one of those bands that you probably either get or don't. If you don't feel the heavy grooves and hear the melodies in "Songs for the Deaf", then it's just not your kind of band. The first time I put that record on, it blew my mind. "Go With the Flow" is one of those songs that gets into your blood...it's intense and gorgeous. "Hangin' Tree" is dark and pummeling. If you don't like Josh's guitar, if you're not a fan of flashy drumming, then it's not for you. If you don't get goosebumps when Mark Lanegan sings "In the Fade" on Rated R, or feel the urge to play air guitar during "Regular John", or get chills on "Suture Up Your Future", it's just not for you. Really good music isn't just about what sounds cool. It can make you think. QOTSA for me is one of those bands. I saw them in 2003 in San Francisco and it was one of those nights where it changed my perception of music, art, of what a concert can sound and feel like. It made going to other concerts kind of disappointing for a while.

Last night I listened to the new Vampire Weekend LP, and people rave about them. I really, really tried to "get" what they're about, and I didn't enjoy any of it. So if you're not into QOTSA, don't feel bad about it. There's plenty of stuff out there people go crazy for that isn't for me. The important thing is to keep an open mind and enjoy what comes naturally.

atomicfront

« Reply #1045 on: July 15, 2013, 11:17:15 am »

I think it's a bit complex. I can tell you right away that there's far more depth to Queens than EODM. Where Eagles of Death Metal are a really decent rock band with some killer tunes and a great sense of humor, QOTSA is one of those bands that you probably either get or don't. If you don't feel the heavy grooves and hear the melodies in "Songs for the Deaf", then it's just not your kind of band. The first time I put that record on, it blew my mind. "Go With the Flow" is one of those songs that gets into your blood...it's intense and gorgeous. "Hangin' Tree" is dark and pummeling. If you don't like Josh's guitar, if you're not a fan of flashy drumming, then it's not for you. If you don't get goosebumps when Mark Lanegan sings "In the Fade" on Rated R, or feel the urge to play air guitar during "Regular John", or get chills on "Suture Up Your Future", it's just not for you. Really good music isn't just about what sounds cool. It can make you think. QOTSA for me is one of those bands. I saw them in 2003 in San Francisco and it was one of those nights where it changed my perception of music, art, of what a concert can sound and feel like. It made going to other concerts kind of disappointing for a while.

Last night I listened to the new Vampire Weekend LP, and people rave about them. I really, really tried to "get" what they're about, and I didn't enjoy any of it. So if you're not into QOTSA, don't feel bad about it. There's plenty of stuff out there people go crazy for that isn't for me. The important thing is to keep an open mind and enjoy what comes naturally.

I realize Vampire Weekend are a creative and quality band and put out awesome albums but I don't care for them. I don't know what it is about their music but it just annoys the shit out of me. 

bearman🐻

« Reply #1046 on: July 15, 2013, 11:23:45 am »
I realize Vampire Weekend are a creative and quality band and put out awesome albums but I don't care for them. I don't know what it is about their music but it just annoys the shit out of me. 

A lot of people really like them. Good for them. But when I went back to read the review of the new LP on Pitchfork, it made me laugh. I think I was listening to a different record.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1047 on: July 15, 2013, 11:36:19 am »

My friend gave me his copy of "Songs For The Deaf" and was told me I had to listen to it. I knew it because "No One Knows" was on MTV constantly and I thought the video was hilarious and weird as hell. That song was a blip on the radar for the massive bombs that are on that album. Opening up with "You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire", are you serious!? That songs STILL kicks ass. Those drums? That opening riff? Nick's screaming!? God damn!

I know a lot of people who loved that album, but kind of didn't like Lullabies and never took the time to go back to their self titled and Rated R. I have all their B-sides, rarities, acoustic versions. I absolutely adore this band and anything Josh Homme touches. I LOVE EODM, but they don't have the musical depth that Queens has. Also love Them Crooked Vultures. I also understand that people don't get them and it's never something I've tried to explain. If you don't go ape shit in the last few minutes of "Song For The Dead" then you just will never like QOTSA.

I was surprised at how many people like them on here.

Also, I love Vampire Weekend and their new album is perfect for summer. I think Contra is their best album, but this new one is great. A little different from their first 2 albums, but I love it.
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #1048 on: July 15, 2013, 01:48:54 pm »
I don't understand why people want to listen to music that "kicks ass"?

If asskicking is your thing, why not just watch football or wrestling? Or beat up your spouse/partner.

bearman🐻

« Reply #1049 on: July 15, 2013, 01:57:11 pm »
I don't understand why people want to listen to music that "kicks ass"?

If asskicking is your thing, why not just watch football or wrestling? Or beat up your spouse/partner.

It's a generic term for music that delivers a punch, intensity, and vigor that makes other music sound too mellow or unpassionate.