Author Topic: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather  (Read 377326 times)

sonickteam

Re: Virgin Free Fest returning to Merriweather
« Reply #1110 on: July 29, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
which are you, a kiddie or a hipster?

bummer.  6 bands worth seeing on this list and i saw 3 of them less than 2 months ago at Firefly.

I'd like to think I'm neither since I'm over 30, but since the 6 bands I'd bother seeing are Vampire Weekend, Chvrches, Avett Brothers, Washed OUt, Little Green Cars and City & Colour so you can judge me from that ;-)     I'll probably go though, since i have no kids to babysit....

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1111 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:42 pm »
how mysterious

killsaly

« Reply #1112 on: July 29, 2013, 02:04:06 pm »
I dont think most of you use the term hipster correctly (same with most media outlets).  Ive seen articles calling people hipsters for "GASP!" growing vegetables in the city! Or riding a bike! Or listening to music YOU DO NOT KNOW OR DO NOT LIKE!

But what is a hipster?  I dont think "hipsters" would care about Vampire Weekend or Pretty Lights or the Avett Brothers. 

Isnt a hipster someone who THINKS they are cooler than everyone else based upon their musical taste and other criteria (clothes they wear, movies they dig, books they read)?  IE UNDERGROUND? 

Maybe it is because I am towards the younger end of the spectrum on this board, that i do not throw out the term for everything and everybody that is different. 

Further reading:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_%28contemporary_subculture%29
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:06:18 pm by killsaly »

bearman🐻

« Reply #1113 on: July 29, 2013, 02:24:54 pm »
I dont think most of you use the term hipster correctly (same with most media outlets).  Ive seen articles calling people hipsters for "GASP!" growing vegetables in the city! Or riding a bike! Or listening to music YOU DO NOT KNOW OR DO NOT LIKE!

But what is a hipster?  I dont think "hipsters" would care about Vampire Weekend or Pretty Lights or the Avett Brothers. 

Isnt a hipster someone who THINKS they are cooler than everyone else based upon their musical taste and other criteria (clothes they wear, movies they dig, books they read)?  IE UNDERGROUND? 

Maybe it is because I am towards the younger end of the spectrum on this board, that i do not throw out the term for everything and everybody that is different. 

Further reading:

I think for some of us, the term hipster has positive and negative connotations. For example, there's the "Portlandia" context that you describe (bike-riding, growing veg, composting, etc.), which I think is positive. It's easy subject for satire though. Then there's the negative context, which is more about people thinking that they're superior or maybe cooler for liking stuff for the sake of being different, not because it's good or better. I think it's what happens in one's 20's when you struggle for identity. In the 60's there were hippies, in the 90's there were ravers (just for example). I don't think all young people are hipsters, and not all hipsters are bad. But if you were to go to Brooklyn, Austin, Portland (heck, even parts of LA), etc. you're going to see that hipster isn't exactly underground. In fact, it's probably the norm.

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1114 on: July 29, 2013, 02:32:17 pm »

Further reading:

Oh hey cool.  Thanks for that.

i am gay and i like cats

« Reply #1115 on: July 29, 2013, 02:33:15 pm »
hipster

geek

goth

redneck

stoner

jock

punk

straightedge

queer

labels labels everywhere

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1116 on: July 29, 2013, 02:40:42 pm »
I think anyone who doesn't listen to just the radio is a hipster. I never thought being called a hipster was bad at all. People who "don't get" something just need to label it. Who cares?

We all post on a forum for a rock n roll club in Washington, DC. FUCKING. HIPSTERS.
‼‼?‼‼

grateful

• 👤 👩 👦 📷 📺
    • Wait, the entire rest of the internet exists and you CHOOSE to post here? Who hurt you?
« Reply #1117 on: July 29, 2013, 02:42:07 pm »
We all post on a forum for a rock n roll club in Washington, DC. FUCKING. HIPSTERS.

that.is.delicious.

killsaly

« Reply #1118 on: July 29, 2013, 02:43:07 pm »
I also do not think the term is bad.  However, people tend to throw it out as an insult. 

I think for some of us, the term hipster has positive and negative connotations. For example, there's the "Portlandia" context that you describe (bike-riding, growing veg, composting, etc.), which I think is positive. It's easy subject for satire though. Then there's the negative context, which is more about people thinking that they're superior or maybe cooler for liking stuff for the sake of being different, not because it's good or better. I think it's what happens in one's 20's when you struggle for identity. In the 60's there were hippies, in the 90's there were ravers (just for example). I don't think all young people are hipsters, and not all hipsters are bad. But if you were to go to Brooklyn, Austin, Portland (heck, even parts of LA), etc. you're going to see that hipster isn't exactly underground. In fact, it's probably the norm.
True... So two definitions.  Both different.  One good, one bad...
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 02:49:02 pm by killsaly »

James Ford

« Reply #1119 on: July 29, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »
I think the internet has pretty much killed the possibility of anything being "hip" or "underground". Everything is out there and available to whoever wants it.

Still, I bet most people haven't heard of more than a couple of bands on that list. And by most people, I mean American citizens, not your personal collection of city dwelling 20-something friends.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #1120 on: July 29, 2013, 03:20:37 pm »
All I know is I'd like to see Vampire Weekend and Congorock from that line-up. That's it.
‼‼?‼‼

Seth Hurwitz

• Administrator
« Reply #1121 on: July 29, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »
every year there are blogs filled with people talking about how much they love or hate the lineup

and every year there are 50,000 people walking around having a fantastic time

I find it all wonderful

sonickteam

« Reply #1122 on: July 29, 2013, 03:32:15 pm »

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #1123 on: July 29, 2013, 03:34:43 pm »

I find it all wonderful

and don't forget

free

hope it is enjoyed by all

sonickteam

« Reply #1124 on: July 29, 2013, 03:35:07 pm »
every year there are blogs filled with people talking about how much they love or hate the lineup

and every year there are 50,000 people walking around having a fantastic time

I find it all wonderful

I would like to mention how it seemed that last year it took much longer to get food, drinks and visit the restroom than any previous year.  It was actually kind of a pain (15 minutes to wait for a port-a-john  or a beer is a bit more than necessary)  but you've probably got that covered already ....