Author Topic: Wireless Speakers?  (Read 2142 times)

nkotb

Wireless Speakers?
« on: April 03, 2010, 03:24:43 pm »
I'm not 100% what I want exists, but I figured with some of you audiophiles on the board, you might be able to point me in the right direction.  I'm looking for wireless speakers that would play music from my laptop over my home's wifi connection.  I believe this is what AirTunes used to do, but it looks like that's been discontinued due to AirPort.  I have AirPort, but given that our only router hook-up is in the bedroom, it kind of defeats the purpose of what I'm trying to do.

I'd like to have at least two sets of speakers, so that I don't need to move them around that often depending on the level of the house we're on.  And in a perfect world, one set of them would be weather-resistant so I could have them outside.

I don't need anything overly expensive or fancy but I would like them to sound good.  I don't have any type of real home stereo or anything, so ideally this would be coming right out of iTunes from my laptop.  Any guidance would be great; I've done a little looking online, but as I know nothing about anything, I'm a bit at a loss.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: Wireless Speakers?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 03:46:04 pm »
I'm glad you asked this question, because I to have been thinking about wireless speakers for back surround sound speakers and replacing my home theatre speakers and receiver in general.  One of my challenges is that my house is made out of concrete block so running wires around the living room is going to be a bit difficult.  And we all know how the ette's in our lives feel about exposed wires.
T.Rex

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:19:26 pm »
my house is made out of concrete block

Does this allow for increased volumes that don't disturb the neighbors?
😐 🎶

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:33:28 pm »
my house is made out of concrete block

Does this allow for increased volumes that don't disturb the neighbors?

I'ts a townhouse, so not exactly sure what the limits are ;D
T.Rex

eros

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:38:24 pm »
Not exactly sure it's what you're looking for, but I've got this and am pretty happy with it.
ʎɐʍou

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 08:55:27 pm »
Not exactly sure it's what you're looking for, but I've got this and am pretty happy with it.

Oh man, they are really creepy! Looks like some melted rock monster. NKOTB, if you get those, please make sure you don't put them in the baby's room or the poor little girl will suffer all kinds of nighmares.

Although, you could make some cool Halloween decorations with those by using them as talking heads and adding a fake body just under them. Hook them up with some sort of sound on sound speaker system and really freak the kids out.  :o :o :o Of course, no need to wait until Halloween for such fun.

helicon1

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 12:22:09 am »
I have the Logitech Squeezebox. A device that sits in my living room and wirelessly pulls in my MP3 collection along with internet radio from my laptop that resides in my office.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Squeezebox-Internet-Wireless-Player/dp/B000VZL9C2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1270354746&sr=1-2

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:17 am »
the ette's in our lives

great expression, love it!
<sig>

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:21 pm »
So here's the thing with wireless speakers in general (and since I've never personally used speakers over wifi, I'm speaking about speakers in the 900mhz-2.4ghz range with a transmitter from your stereo) - interference.

At least for those living in a big city, the interference from passing trucks, buses, and just about anything in that range would cause the speakers to go out or change the signal to the truckers talking.

I did do an install of the JBL On Air 2.4g speaker system once and they seem to love them, though they live in the 'burbs.  They've never called me back to fix them so I'm guessing they're not having problems.  You should be able to find used pairs on Amazon/ebay pretty cheap from folks who live in big cities and can't use them.
27>34