Author Topic: Mac Mini's  (Read 4512 times)

redsock

Mac Mini's
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:54:03 am »
Anyone know of a place to get used or refurbished ones on the cheaper side? Would rather avoid a G4, but would also like to spend less than $300, so I realize the budget is limiting.

ggw

Re: Mac Mini's
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:17:04 pm »
Ebay

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:41:38 pm »
In SF at least, there are plenty on Craigslist at or around $300....
27>34

redsock

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 10:57:24 pm »
Trolling both. Quite a few less on Craigslist DC, but they are out there.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 07:23:54 am »
I looked for a Mac Mini on Craigslist for a while, then I realized that their sellers generally didn't understand that the value of items depreciates significantly the minute it leaves the showroom floor.

Then I realized that even used, a Mac Mini is an extremely poor value, and I bought a new Zino instead.
_\|/_

thirsty moore

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 11:22:16 am »
Did you get a blu-ray model dr. doom?

redsock

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:30:42 pm »
I looked for a Mac Mini on Craigslist for a while, then I realized that their sellers generally didn't understand that the value of items depreciates significantly the minute it leaves the showroom floor.

Then I realized that even used, a Mac Mini is an extremely poor value, and I bought a new Zino instead.

I completely agree with your thoughts on depreciation. But I disagree with your poor value. In general, the value of the OS alone is worth an extra $50-$75 to me. Added to the ease of use for the programs, and the fact that i don't want to go through the effort to windows-ize any of my files, adds up as well. Plus, this is meant to be a media center computer that plays well with my primary computer (Macbook pro) so you can see why it would be worth it for me to keep it in the family. Even if it is an extra $100+.

wml7

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 03:33:19 pm »
A few weeks ago microcenter (one in fairfax) had mac minis 1.83ghz Core 2 Duo 1GB DDR2 for $255.99.  Of course they sold out fast but sometimes they do have some deals on mac minis.  I also think this is an older version but still can't beat that price  ;D

• my blog
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 07:23:40 pm »
I got the Zino as a Media Center computer too, and it plays well with everything including Air Tunes, which was a pleasant surprise.   (I had a Mac before but it was on its last legs.) And Windows 7 turned out to be surprisingly pleasant to use and nimble.  But I do understand the desire to keep it in the family.

_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 01:24:27 pm »
I'm regretting having not gotten the Zino, instead opting for the Zotac Mag-HD.  Everything is great about the machine EXCEPT the wireless and since I've recently moved and was thinking of going wireless in my new setup, it's just not going to be possible.

Redsock, what does the Apple OS offer that compares to Windows Media Center 7?
27>34

• my blog
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 06:59:21 am »
Vansmack, you can't add an external wi-fi to it?
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 12:03:12 pm »
Vansmack, you can't add an external wi-fi to it?

I can, but that's not the point. 

I bought a machine that had wireless-N and it's crap.  I've been told by Zotac customer service that I should expect a range of "under 20 feet" with their wireless-N cards (!!!).  I have recommended that they advertise this on their web site so folks know before they buy it.  I would have taken it back but I used it past my 30 days in a wired setup and only just recently realized how shoddy the wireless is...

I'd much rather bitch about it, fight with Zotac and never recommend another one of their products again than put an external wireless N card in their otherwise fantastic product. I will get over this of course, but right now while I'm still hot about it, it's a matter of principle.
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 12:20:39 pm »
20 feet? that's absurd
o/\o

vansmack

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2010, 09:09:15 pm »
20 feet? that's absurd

Zotac: vansmack, how far is your router from your pc?
vansmack: 25 feet, clear view of the N router
Zotac: Sir, I think that's pretty far already.
vansmack: Well, this Wireless G laptop is right next to the Hd-ND01 and it has full bars and can stream just fine
vansmack: But the Zotac machine has 2 bars and it's N
vansmack: My wife's N laptop can be in the next room and get 4 bars
Zotac:: Actually, I've read a couple of reviews from our customers and even on 22 feet distance, video playback is impossible as they say.
vansmack: With your machine, yes, but not with this laptop or my wife's laptop
vansmack: Thats my point
Zotac:: That is what exactly I am trying to say sir.
vansmack: I guess I'm confused. Are you saying that 22 feet is normal for your machine? That it's acceptable or that it's a problem?
Zotac: That is acceptable, it is just the normal capability of the machine
vansmack: I think you should begin to put that in your advertisements then because that's not accpetable to the average user for Wireless N
27>34

godsshoeshine

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 08:27:26 am »
guess i'm not buying that machine
o/\o