Author Topic: McNabb a redskin  (Read 11125 times)

ggw

Re: McNabb a redskin
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 02:39:08 pm »
They gave up a second round pick to get a guy who has the third-highest QB winning percentage in the league.  Sure, he's no spring chicken, he misses a few games most seasons, and his record in the division and conference playoffs is suspect, but everyone seems to agree he's a major improvement over Jason Campbell, Rex Grossman, Colt Brennan, and Richard Bartel.  Too bad they couldn't get Philly to take Haynesworth off their hands.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »

He just finished the third best season of his career and is 33....
A large part of his skill set is his mobility, and yes, he is 33. Exactly.
i wouldnt call mobility a large part of mcnabb's skill set for the past 5 years or so. he has a lot of miles on him from all of the hits he's taken though

miggy is a good player and all, but i dont know that there's a position in baseball that can change a team like upgrading a quarterback can
o/\o

James Ford

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »

miggy is a good player and all, but i dont know that there's a position in baseball that can change a team like upgrading a quarterback can

As I said, I'm not a football guy, so I'll defer to your superior knowledge.

And no, I'm not being snarky.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 03:32:40 pm »
McNabb is one of the greatest all-time losers in NFL history. The guy has never seen a big game he couldn't choke like a stuffed pig at.
McNabb has done year after year what Brady did with the Patriots in his first year. Take a bunch of no names and actually go into the playoffs and win games. I'm not a fan at all of McNabb but I never understood the hate that he garnered from Philadelphia fans. I'm really confused by all the moves we've made in the off season. We still don't have an offensive line and now we're getting an injury prone quarterback to step in? Really? He's taken the Eagles to 5 NFC Championships? He's 9-7 in post season play in his past 11 years, I'm not saying he's the best but I'd hardly shit on him for his ability to play. I'm looking forward to seeing my Skins again but my hopes are almost at an all-time low. Bruce Allen has a lot to prove to me.

On a funny side note, Vinny Ceratto called into my work a few weeks ago, he has a real bad attitude. It took all my strength not to scold him endlessly over the phone.
‼‼?‼‼

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 03:34:55 pm »
I'm sure this is totally different from Deion Sanders, Bruce Smith, Jason Taylor, Dana Stubblefield, Jeff George, Adam Archuleta, etc...those guys were past their prime.   ;)

McNabb, Larry Johnson, and Willie Parker.  This is shaping up to be a great team - in 2006.
Exactly.

He just finished the third best season of his career and is 33....
A large part of his skill set is his mobility, and yes, he is 33. Exactly.
Isn't Peyton Manning 33...?
‼‼?‼‼

James Ford

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 03:35:19 pm »
Are you a phone sex operator?

On a funny side note, Vinny Ceratto called into my work a few weeks ago, he has a real bad attitude. It took all my strength not to scold him endlessly over the phone.

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 03:38:59 pm »
Are you a phone sex operator?

They have operators?
‼‼?‼‼

vansmack

« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 04:49:46 pm »
Isn't Peyton Manning 33...?

No. He's 34.....
27>34

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 06:40:48 pm »
Manning is another notorious all-time loser; his only win of any consequence, pro or college, was against a team that had Rex Grossman for cripe's sake. Someone find where I posted his stats back around the SB with wins and losses in the NFL playoffs and in college in bowl games or vs. Florida. Staggering.

Also, comparing Manning years to McNabb years is apples and oranges. Manning gets hit about 3 times per season and his mobility has always been non-existent.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 06:58:05 pm »
so...every qb sucks? sounds like you're setting the bar for a trade for a second round pick awfully high
o/\o

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2010, 07:01:16 pm »
so...every qb sucks? sounds like you're setting the bar for a trade for a second round pick awfully high
I'm setting the bar for building your franchise around someone a little higher. If you want to have McNabb for one season to transition into a new era of a QB you intend to draft, then awesome. Maybe a little bit of an overpayment for a season, but OK. But from almost every story out there, it looks like there's mutual interest in McNabb signing an extension, which effectively means handing over the franchise (which has more pressing needs to begin with) to a guy on the downslope of his career who couldn't win a big game at his pinnacle. That's my objection, not the 2nd round pick.

godsshoeshine

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 08:35:13 am »
you dont build a franchise around players, the nfl is a system league. mcnabb is an upgrade (and a relatively cheap one) for shanny's system. maybe if they get to a big game he'll choke, but they havent been to a big game in so long its a calculated risk. one thing i'd bet on is a mike shanahan team having a better run game to support mcnabb than any andy reid team
o/\o

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 09:49:17 am »
Manning is another notorious all-time loser; his only win of any consequence, pro or college, was against a team that had Rex Grossman for cripe's sake. Someone find where I posted his stats back around the SB with wins and losses in the NFL playoffs and in college in bowl games or vs. Florida. Staggering.

Also, comparing Manning years to McNabb years is apples and oranges. Manning gets hit about 3 times per season and his mobility has always been non-existent.
They are 2 different quarterbacks, but I guess I'm trying to say that McNabb has never had a great supporting cast, and the one year he had a good receiver he took them to the Super Bowl. Their run game/pass game has been Michael Westbrook. I'd like to see him work in a semi-decent offense. Still incredibly worried about our rag-tag offensive line. Moreso than anything else.
‼‼?‼‼

Mobius

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 10:04:55 am »
you dont build a franchise around players, the nfl is a system league.

yet nearly every super bowl winner ever has had a hall of fame level qb (capable of delivering in key situations AND capable of being a team leader), and those that didn't had all-time great defenses (and a qb that first did not harm).  you need players AND you need a system.

speaking of which, shanahan's system last had great success around the same time larry johnson, willie parker, clinton portis, donovan mcnabb and marvin harrison (come on skins, pull the trigger!) were tearing up fantasy leagues . . . 2005

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 10:07:43 am by Mobius »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 10:54:07 am »
who's talking super bowl for the skins? i certainly was not

they went 4-12 last year. something around 8-8 should be the goal, wild card if they are lucky

mcnabb gives you a better chance at that than campbell. its totally worth a second round pick

the colts are the only team to win a super bowl in the last 10 years to start with a qb and build a team around him. i guess you could argue the aikman cowboys and the favre packers in the last 20
o/\o