Author Topic: Austin City Limits Festival 2010  (Read 5552 times)

Mr.Whippy

Austin City Limits Festival 2010
« on: April 07, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »
Looks like we have the first hint of a headliner for ACL 2010.

Muse had to cancel a show in Colorado the other night due to a snowstorm, and the show is rescheduled for Oct. 2.  That probably seals the deal for them as one of the ACL headliners (happening Oct. 8-10).

Has anyone heard any other rumors?  Is anyone else going? 

Muse, Soundgarden and Arcade Fire would be a great set of headliners, and all seem likely given that they will be in full on tour mode in the fall. 

fatskippy

Re: Austin City Limits Festival 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 06:07:03 pm »
Phish is rumored

Stillwater

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 06:50:11 pm »
I doubt C3 would want to have Soundgarden and Arcade Fire headline both festivals.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 06:57:05 pm »
On Phish - Ugh

On C3 not wanting Arcade Fire and Soundgarden to headline both festivals - I don't see why not, they did it last year with Kings of Leon and Beastie Boys (though replaced by Yeah Yeah Yeahs) headlining both Lolla and ACL.

Stillwater

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 07:01:38 pm »
Yeah, but Soundgarden is the #1 headliner at Lolla.  KoL was #6 last year, and if I'm not mistaken Beastie Boys were second line as well.  Could happen I guess, but unless they can get a #1 bigger than SG at ACL, then I don't see them repeating. 

dave24

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 11:30:21 am »
Got my 3-day passes, excited for this almost no matter what the lineup is when announced in 4 weeks...  anyone hearing any good rumors?

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 12:33:46 pm »
Got my 3-day passes, excited for this almost no matter what the lineup is when announced in 4 weeks...  anyone hearing any good rumors?

If you go to the message board of the ACL Website, under the 2010 lineup thread there is a link to a newspaper article with some rumors.  It says Arcade Fire, Soundgarden and Pavement are expected or at least heavily rumored.  It also mentions that Wilco, Spoon, and Drive-By Truckers are due given that they all skipped last year and seem to play every other year.

There were Green Day rumors for a while, I hope that doesn't materialize.  Ditto for the Eagles rumors.

The only act that appears to be confirmed via Pollstar at this point is Blues Traveler.

I think Sonic Youth might be a good possibility as they had to cancel last year and it looks like they will be on the road around that time.

dave24

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 12:44:35 pm »
Please god no Green Day -- if it does materialize It'll just turn into the day to leave early and get a real dinner before an after show.

Some of my guesses to this point - Neil Young, Muse, Jamie Cullum, Tom Petty, Lucinda Williams - among a cast of many others...  just a few things to play with, four weeks until official announcement

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 09:17:20 am »
Muse has an October 8 date in Oklahoma city, then a hole in their schedule and no Texas dates.  That seems to make them a definite for ACL.

If the Green Day thing did materialize, it would be OK as long as they were a dual headliner on Friday or Saturday and just served to draw people away from a more interesting choice at the other end of the park.  Last year, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs set was nice and comfortable with the majority of people at the other end of the park watching Kings of Leon.

dave24

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 12:33:03 am »
Official acts as of the past 30 minutes or so...

Phish
Muse
The Eagles
LCD Soundsystem
MIA (as one of the headliners... really?)
The Strokes
Vampire Weekend
Spoon
Norah Jones

No Soundgarden or Green Day yet.  Please, no Green Day.

More adds:

Pete Yorn
Gogol Bordello
The Morning Benders
Cage The Elephant
Black Keys
Broken Bells
Monsters of Folk
The XX
Gaslight Anthem
Temper Trap
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
The National
Sonic Youth
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 01:19:04 am by dave24 »

godsshoeshine

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:12:31 am »
is this aimed at married people in their mid 30's with kids? i think phish is a joke, and i fucking hate the eagles man, but other than that, the lineup looks awesome.
o/\o

Thousand Made-Up Loves

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:54:35 am »

walkonby

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:02:09 am »
is this aimed at married people in their mid 30's with kids? i think phish is a joke, and i fucking hate the eagles man, but other than that, the lineup looks awesome.

i like how phish is a joke . . . but having muse, lcd soundsystem, the xx at a festival set in texas based on a show that dealt with mainly country/folk music is not. 

James Ford

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 10:06:57 am »
ding ding ding, exactly.

it's too bad that ACL has become the Coachella or Lollapalooza of Texas, instead of what it originally was.

Indie is the new mainstream.

i like how phish is a joke . . . but having muse, lcd soundsystem, the xx at a festival set in texas based on a show that dealt with mainly country/folk music is not. 

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 10:12:52 am »

I've been to ACL a few times and it seems to attract a pretty diverse audience (if you do not consider race as a measure of diversity).  One funny thing is that there are lots of older people who attend and set up lawn chairs in designated areas at the main stages and just sit there all day, regardless of who is playing.

I think the lineup this year did a great job of appealing to their diverse demographic.  The headliners will probably make their older fans happy, and the undercard is pretty great as far as 2010 festivals go.  

I'm not excited about the headliners (ecxept Muse), but there are tons of aftershows that happen at night, so we will just cut out early on Friday and Sunday nights and head to an aftershow.