Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 205317 times)

Bombay Chutney

Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #570 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:16 am »
Seth plays drums every now and then.    It's always fun, but it happens enough that it's not a huge surprise.

I had a GREAT time last night.   So many great moments.   Grohl + Scream covering Bad Brains songs...Tommy Keene and Seth sitting in with Marti/Dixon... Ted Leo covering 3.... the back-to-back party of The Fleshtones/Slickee Boys...Tommy Keene being much rowdier than I expected... the mighty Trouble Funk...Mould's powerful mini-set...wow.  Rollins is the perfect show for something like this.  A hell of a show.

Thanks to Seth and everyone for putting this together.   Well done!

eros

« Reply #571 on: June 01, 2010, 11:08:41 am »

Guess I was in front of you but  I thought he responded with the Gilbert Arenas finger guns.

He DID do the finger guns!  I didn't hear the original comment so I didn't make the connection at the time.

That's hilarious!  I was obviously in for far too many Newcastles at that point.
ʎɐʍou

Christine Moritz

« Reply #572 on: June 01, 2010, 11:16:30 am »
I am bummed to have missed Monday night's festivities, but I was exhausted (and had also spent the bulk of Sunday night at the club).

Glad to hear it was a good time!

shemptiness

« Reply #573 on: June 01, 2010, 11:20:50 am »
Has anyone mentioned yet how much more pleasant it is when the club isn't so overcrowded?   ;D

hemisphire

« Reply #574 on: June 01, 2010, 11:32:04 am »
To echo everyone else, great show, this was my HFStival.  Trying to figure out some setlists, if anyone can add to these I'd appreciate it:

Dave/Scream:
Everlong
Choke Word
At The Atlantis
Stay Close To Me

Pietasters:
?
Maggie Mae
Out All Night

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #575 on: June 01, 2010, 11:33:36 am »
Has anyone mentioned yet how much more pleasant it is when the club isn't so overcrowded?   ;D

indeed it was.

question: what were alcohol sales like last night?  when not over-packing the place, i wonder if the reduction in number of tickets sold is offset by the increase in drink receipts?  when the club is packed it's harder to make it to the bar, one worries about losing their spot, etc = lower bar sales, you'd think.
<sig>

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #576 on: June 01, 2010, 11:41:02 am »
Thanks to everyone at the 9:30 Club for putting on a very memorable event as well as thanks for the blueballs of the 15 min Clutch set ;) hehe

BT was suppose to spin a lot longer, but since Trouble Funk had the go-go goin' it ate into the time.  Loved it when BT spun "Cuts You Up" by Peter Murphy before Henry came out to intro Bob.
3MTA3

Bags

« Reply #577 on: June 01, 2010, 11:49:18 am »
Loved it when BT spun "Cuts You Up" by Peter Murphy before Henry came out to intro Bob.
That made me so happy...

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #578 on: June 01, 2010, 12:16:12 pm »
all of you clutch virgins might notice that you have a beard now.  it's normal.  don't worry.  if they had played an entire set, it would have been longer, fuller, and on fire.  a common side effect of the pure rock fury.

NEVER DOUBT US AGAIN!

thanks for coming out, y'all.  i'm still wiped out, but it was a great day.  luckily for all of you, seth cut me off before i got to do my hank impression.

eros

« Reply #579 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:50 pm »
all of you clutch virgins might notice that you have a beard now.  it's normal.  don't worry.  if they had played an entire set, it would have been longer, fuller, and on fire.  a common side effect of the pure rock fury.

I shaved this morning and it has already grown back.
ʎɐʍou

Bags

« Reply #580 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:51 pm »

NEVER DOUBT US AGAIN!

thanks for coming out, y'all.  i'm still wiped out, but it was a great day.  luckily for all of you, seth cut me off before i got to do my hank impression.

I must say, there were quite a few converts in the crowd around me.  I heard lots of, "I can't believe I haven't seen these guys before."  From some of my friends who are definite going to see them again.

rich_WDC

« Reply #581 on: June 01, 2010, 12:48:00 pm »
Anyone recall the exact phrasing of Justin Jones's   "This song is about farming" line?    It was an unexpected hilarious/awkward moment, at least for me..... a strange-for-the-setting intro to a song.

MindCage

• Mindless Faith
« Reply #582 on: June 01, 2010, 01:05:07 pm »

Oh damn if they had unleashed the "Pury Rock Fury," the crowd would have been in total awe. Neil would have had to be more "Careful with that Mic" before the "Electric Worry" and delivered the "Big News" as the audience found some "Spacegrass" before "Escaping from the Prison Planet"

okay I'm done...
3MTA3

atomicfront

« Reply #583 on: June 01, 2010, 01:13:41 pm »
Highlight for me was Trouble Funk.  Those guys really know how to put on a show.  Also loved seeing the Slickee Boys and Bob Mould for the first time.  And it was cool seeing Tommy Keene and the Fleshtones for the first time in 25 years.

Really didn't like Clutch at all.  Probably would have left during their set if I knew the Furs weren't playing.  I think Henry Rollins did a great job as the MC.

Really sad no Psychedelic Furs.  Anybody know why they canceled?

redsock

« Reply #584 on: June 01, 2010, 01:47:40 pm »
Redsock, you stayed to the bitter end?  Saw you heading down to the backbar mid evening but you were too far to say hi.

Yeah, we stayed till Trouble Funk finished. Went to the backbar to scope out the better beer and catch a breather. And, well, it was Justin Jones playing. Can catch him at Iota once a month...

Sorry I missed you and the other boardies. Randomly caught Bombay in passing, and saw Lily napping in the side room upstairs, but that was about it.