Author Topic: Club's 30th anniversary?  (Read 199408 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
Re: Club's 30th anniversary?
« Reply #615 on: June 02, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
nevermind  :-[
<sig>

madgypsy

« Reply #616 on: June 02, 2010, 03:30:02 pm »
Those 3 songs made my beard grow...just sayin

I'm happy to read that Clutch has finally made believers out of several of you. And all it took was a free show. I think over the years there's been a thought that turning you folks onto Clutch was this conspiracy that eddie, thatguy and myself cooked up to trick you into listening to some crappy band. That just couldn't be further from the truth. We see and hear literally hundreds and thousands of bands a year here and there just isn't another band that is as consistently amazing show after show, year after year. So to those of you that liked what you saw and heard, come see them in all their glory the next time they come through 9:30 and those of you that remain non-believers, sorry we weren't able to indoctrinate you, but hey it's your loss.

Pure Rock Fury.

Sir HC

« Reply #617 on: June 02, 2010, 04:04:39 pm »
Thanks sweetcell. Both for enjoying the article and the correction! Someday I will get that stage-left/right thing through my thick skull.

Next will be on/off stage and up/down.  I am still not sure of the latter...

dyecraig

« Reply #618 on: June 02, 2010, 07:16:52 pm »
a few shots:

http://www.dyepics.blogspot.com

thanks again seth!

wml7

« Reply #619 on: June 02, 2010, 10:00:30 pm »
Here's my We Love DC write-up of Monday's amazing event. Thanks Seth and everyone who work at DC's best venue!

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/02/we-love-music-the-930-club-30th-anniversary-concert/

PS - Please excuse my suck-ass photos - I will never claim to be a photog.

I like the videos  ;D ::)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 10:05:39 pm by wml7 »

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #620 on: June 03, 2010, 12:04:58 pm »
I'll remember Ian Mackaye once again turning the worst performance of the night and just getting by on that built in cred he's got.. The Evens set was beyond boring. If it wasn't Mackaye would anyone have cared?

I noticed a bunch of people around me looking at their watches and band lists during the Evens set.   It was definitely a come-down after Tommy Keene.   I mean, musically they are talented and interesting, but there is still that Puritan spirit that underlies most things Dischord -- it's a bit like switching from reading Jack Kerouac to Nathaniel Hawthorne.   I don't think the Evens have ever played the 930, and has Fugazi ever?  Maybe not since Minor Threat has Ian performed on the '30s stage?

I think my favorite moment was when Tommy Keene joined Marti Jones and Don Dixon on stage, and Seth got in on drums.  It reminded me of the spontaneous spirit of the early years of the club.   Something you might have seen at dc space, actually.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2010, 12:07:04 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

• my blog
« Reply #621 on: June 03, 2010, 12:06:22 pm »
_\|/_

Davyboy

« Reply #622 on: June 03, 2010, 12:48:13 pm »
I'll remember Ian Mackaye once again turning the worst performance of the night and just getting by on that built in cred he's got.. The Evens set was beyond boring. If it wasn't Mackaye would anyone have cared?

I noticed a bunch of people around me looking at their watches and band lists during the Evens set.   It was definitely a come-down after Tommy Keene.   I mean, musically they are talented and interesting, but there is still that Puritan spirit that underlies most things Dischord -- it's a bit like switching from reading Jack Kerouac to Nathaniel Hawthorne.   I don't think the Evens have ever played the 930, and has Fugazi ever?  Maybe not since Minor Threat has Ian performed on the '30s stage?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, and IMO the two quotes above me are silly, with HUTCH's being downright ridiculous and laughable, IMO of course.  The Evens set was great, wether it was your cup of tea or not should have been kept to yourself, again IMO. Anything MacKaye does will have cred. He's earned it, deal with it. Fugazi has played the 9:30 on V street. I know because I was there.

The whole night was a celebration of the great 9:30 club which has been supporting and showcasing the eclectic variety of what the amazing DC scene has offered, does offer, and will continue to offer, whay can't you just let it be what it is? Sometimes people have to interject negativity no matter what the situation may be. Blows my mind.

hutch

« Reply #623 on: June 03, 2010, 01:02:04 pm »

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course, and IMO the two quotes above me are silly, with HUTCH's being downright ridiculous and laughable, IMO of course.  The Evens set was great, wether it was your cup of tea or not should have been kept to yourself, again IMO. Anything MacKaye does will have cred. He's earned it, deal with it. Fugazi has played the 9:30 on V street. I know because I was there.

The whole night was a celebration of the great 9:30 club which has been supporting and showcasing the eclectic variety of what the amazing DC scene has offered, does offer, and will continue to offer, whay can't you just let it be what it is? Sometimes people have to interject negativity no matter what the situation may be. Blows my mind.

I'm sorry to rain on your Ian Mackaye is DC God and you must love everything he does even if its boring parade.

My post was very positive. It was a great night. I thank Seth for it..I enjoyed it all.

There were better performances and worst performances: the Evens set happened to be a bore.. so what? Its the end of the world for you if someone thinks the Evens set is boring?

Deal with it man.

wml7

« Reply #624 on: June 03, 2010, 01:14:01 pm »
Man Up  ;D

• my blog
« Reply #625 on: June 03, 2010, 01:42:12 pm »
wether it was your cup of tea or not should have been kept to yourself

And there's that puritanical spirit I'm talking about... LOL
_\|/_

James Ford

« Reply #626 on: June 03, 2010, 02:57:25 pm »
I've got 20 bucks that says Ian Mackaye has a small penis.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

redsock

« Reply #627 on: June 03, 2010, 03:11:22 pm »
wether it was your cup of tea or not should have been kept to yourself

Dear IMO,

Have you spent any time on this board? No one keeps their opinions to themselves. And Sir Mackaye is hardly above reproach, he's as fair game as James Ford's wife or Julian's, er, everything. IMO

I missed The Evens, and while I'm glad that piece of DC history was represented, sort of, if they sucked they sucked. IMO. Every show has its highs and low. IMO

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #628 on: June 03, 2010, 03:32:06 pm »
i thought the evens were fine - for 15 minutes.  not sure they would have held my attention much longer.  i liked their set-up on the balcony, so they offered something visually different.  i like ian's stories, probably more than the music he played. 

i also think that for some people here, ian stirs up too much emotion to be able to appreciate on his current merits (or objective lack thereof).  but that's just, like, my opinion, maaaaaan.
<sig>

shemptiness

« Reply #629 on: June 03, 2010, 03:34:55 pm »
If people didn't have O's there would be no need for this board.