Author Topic: body image commiseration thread  (Read 16660 times)

vansmack

Re: body image commiseration thread
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2010, 07:17:00 pm »
related note: any thoughts on overcoming plantar fasciitis? 

Change shoes.  The #1 cause of PF is that you don't have the right shoes for your feet.  I'm sure the doctor can recommend a fancy footwear store to determine the right type of shoe for you (try to avoid orthotics if poosible. Getting the right shoe recommendation wil be key and if you find a shoe you like, nuy a couple pairs and replace before they're to worn in).  If not, next time you're out here I'll take you to the shoe store over by Venerable's place (next to yancy's in my old hood) and they'll give you the full treatment and tell you what kind of shoe would give you the proper support (pronate/supenate/flat foot/6 toes/whatever)....

In the meantime, icing after running is it (with ibuprofen), but seriously, lay off the running until you get the right shoes. Also, don't jump out of bed in the morning - shockingly the #1 way to tear your ligament is jumping out of bed the morning after a long run when the ligament has tightened during a relaxing sleep.
27>34

Vas Deferens

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2010, 08:37:46 pm »
try some aerobics to get rid of your gut, i mean...pouch.

i'm six four and weigh two thirty, been working out for about a month now and do have a little gut due to my desire for tasting the best beers on the planet.  am i fat? 
(_|_)

Cock Van Der Palm

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 09:43:08 am »
If you're a chick and you weigh over 125 lbs. - you're fat (if you are less than 5'2" and over 105-you're fat)
If you are a guy and you give a shit about losing a few pounds, you're gay...not that there is anything wrong with that.

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2010, 11:15:20 am »
apparently, my stats are news, so my cover is blown.  i'll make everyone else feel better.

6'3", 350ish.  down from i think about 375 at my peak.  made some major changes a little while back, and seeing results (weight, cholesterol, blood pressure all down).  merriweather season always gets me into better shape, so i'll probably drop some more soon.

nkotb

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2010, 11:21:55 am »
For years, my wife has harped on me for not stretching prior to or after running.  My response: "You don't see cheetahs stretching prior to running."  Granted, comparing myself to any member of the animal kingdom in the realm of physical fitness is absurd.  But imagine my delight when we watched Zombieland (surprisingly not awful), and Woody Harrelson's character said the same thing about mountain lions.

Also, don't jump out of bed in the morning - shockingly the #1 way to tear your ligament is jumping out of bed the morning after a long run when the ligament has tightened during a relaxing sleep.

For me, I'm about 6'1" and right now, weight around 187 or so.  I definitely need to drop a few, mostly around the mid-section, so I just jumped back on a running scheduled; I'm hoping to run the Marine Corps marathon this fall to kill two birds with one stone.  Of course, what's extra annoying is my wife losing more weight than she gained during the pregnancy, all without doing a single bit of exercise.  I think I might have gained a pound for every 5 she lost :(

Julian, Alleged Computer F**kface

• JULIAN'S AMERICA - It makes my taco pop!
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2010, 11:33:38 am »
6'3", 350ish. 
Poppycock. I wouldn't have pegged you at an ounce over 335!

eltee

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »
Of course, what's extra annoying is my wife losing more weight than she gained during the pregnancy, all without doing a single bit of exercise.  I think I might have gained a pound for every 5 she lost :(
Benefits of breast feeding and being a new mom? ;)

Doom - sounds like you are doing well. Cheese and avocado can be good; avocado has the good fat and cheese is a good protein. Both help to put on few pounds when needed. (Good choice on the wine over beer...I was just referencing what my Gram had to do.)

sweetcell: there's a local running store that will provide a free assessment of your feet and what shoe you need. I have lots of friends who run extensively and have had the same foot problem. They've had to do a few things to take care of it, but not running on it is key. I thought the swimming might help to take the weight off. You could do water aerobics. :) My doc pushes swimming, so I suggested it. Although, the process to/from the pool once I get home late is cumbersome, which leads me to excuses for not. Currently I just walk and here and there or do yoga or hike...need to do more strength training for the bones and stretching for muscles and flexibility.

James Ford

« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2010, 09:40:47 am »
I'm 5'9".

Hit my adult low of 142 as a penniless 26 year old in my marathoning prime.

I've been up to 185 in my married government worker incarnation.

I've lost 10-12 pounds since January 1. Mostly by increasing my running mileage and decreasing my beer and snacking intake. I'd like to lost 6-8 more pounds, but I'm not giving up beer. Instead, I've signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon. It will be my first marathon since April 2006.

Glad to hear that Chipotle is no longer owned my McDonalds (I never said BK). Thanks for that info Vansmack. But I've never gone to Chipotle since the day ggw pointed out how many calories were in a Chipotle burrito. I'll be taking my daughter to Java Green for lunch today when my wife (who nonrally works from home) is downtown for a business lunch.

Breastfeeding doesn't necessarily lead to weight loss. Typically, if you're breastfeeding without any supplemental formula shit, you're eating for two people. And if you were a exercise nut (and I'm speaking in the tihrd person here, observing my wife's experience) before the kid, chances are there's just not going to be the time in the day to do what you did pre-pregnancy. And if you're a stay at home mom to a toddler who also works from home and has no nanny, you'll probably overeat and slack on the exercise. But at some point, you'll get fed up, change your diet, get back into running, and do a kickass marathon like my wife did Saturday.

And for the idiot who said any woman over 125 is fat, you're clueless. I dated a gangly woman who was 5'9" 118. My wife is also an athletic 5'9", and will never be anywhere near 125. But she'll still look much better naked than the  5'9" stringbean I dated.  ;)

nkotb

« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 09:44:23 am »
Prove it.  You can PM me directly with a link to the photos.

My wife is also an athletic 5'9", and will never be anywhere near 125. But she'll still look much better naked than the  5'9" stringbean I dated.  ;)

MonkeyPants

« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:18 am »
I forgot to mention that I am 6'... and Sugartastic, thanks for the advice.  :)  My Chipotle order is the bean and rice burrito with cheese and guac, which I thought was relatively healthy.   But neither the cheese nor the guac were probably good ideas.

The tortilla in that burrito alone is 290 calories. 

Switch to the burrito bol, leave the cheese off and you cut at least 390 calories out of that burrito.  You can even keep the guac, which has healthy fat that your body needs.  Cheese does not have healthy fat.
PANTS

James Ford

« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:36 am »
You, your wife, and your son should feel free to join us the next time we make a nude beach excursion. Haven't been in several years, but would like to go sometime... :P

It probably wouldn't be a nice thing to do to share nude pics of an ex with others, would it? Even if I haven't talked to her since the 90's.

Prove it.  You can PM me directly with a link to the photos.

My wife is also an athletic 5'9", and will never be anywhere near 125. But she'll still look much better naked than the  5'9" stringbean I dated.  ;)

vansmack

« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 03:04:38 pm »
You, your wife, and your son should feel free to join us the next time we make a nude beach excursion. Haven't been in several years, but would like to go sometime... :P

It probably wouldn't be a nice thing to do to share nude pics of an ex with others, would it? Even if I haven't talked to her since the 90's.

Stop being such a prude.  Sexting is the new black...

I'm in on the nude beach, I'll even be a sport and let you sit it out and I'll take Celeste and your daughter for you.

And lastly, there already were half nudey pictures of Celeste on here when she had the baby and they were very tasteful, and dare I say, she was smokin!
27>34

Relaxer

« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »
Dude, smoking is not good for babies, whether while still in utero or ex utero, assuming breasts are being savaged.
oword

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2010, 08:48:47 pm »
I forgot to mention that I am 6'... and Sugartastic, thanks for the advice.  :)  My Chipotle order is the bean and rice burrito with cheese and guac, which I thought was relatively healthy.   But neither the cheese nor the guac were probably good ideas.

The tortilla in that burrito alone is 290 calories. 

Switch to the burrito bol, leave the cheese off and you cut at least 390 calories out of that burrito.  You can even keep the guac, which has healthy fat that your body needs.  Cheese does not have healthy fat.

But I suffer from cheesaholism.  :(
_\|/_

vansmack

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2010, 12:08:16 pm »
But I suffer from cheesaholism.  :(

Milkawhat??!?!?
27>34