Author Topic: HOLE @ 9:30 Club  (Read 29876 times)

RustyOrgan

Re: HOLE @ 9:30 Club
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:39 am »
Well, you ARE 42 - Your tastes have been corrupted by growing up in the time you did!

I pretty much hate every band/artist you list.  And pretty much did back in the 90's, so it's not like I'm trying to be hip or something.  And I do like alot of what came before and after the 90's. It's was just a time of self-absorbed angsty lyrics, grunting like they're taking a shit vocals, and loud out of tune music.

Of those you list, I do like one Janes Addiction album. But it came out in 1988.

The 90's was the last gasp of Rock N' Roll - I could go on and on about all the truly great bands who broke through to the mainstream...  PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Hole, Belly, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, Suede, Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Beck, Bikini Kill, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Afghan Whigs, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, etc.  I could go on and on and on.  The 90's were fucking AWESOME!
Courtney Love is a great front-woman who is sure to put on a memorable show regardless of who is in the band / how the show is booked (Courtney Love vs. Hole).  I only liked their first two albums but you have to give her credit for keeping music exciting!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14178-nobodys-daughter/

I agree with Fiona, this board is filled with sexist pigs. I agree with Vansmack. There are men who will pretend to NOT be sexist pigs because they are that desperate to get laid. A good woman is one who to some degree tolerates our inate male piggy idiosyncracies, and a good man is one who tolerates the inateness of female bitchiness.

Regardless of all of that, can't we just leave the musical suckage that was the 90's behind? And I'm  a 42 year old white male saying that.

James Ford

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 11:23:52 am »
Note sure what you mean. I actually didn't even pay attention to music until I was in college in the late 80's. Alt-country was about the only good thing going in the 90's. Loved the indie rock heyday of the early 2000's as well.

Well, you ARE 42 - Your tastes have been corrupted by growing up in the time you did!

I pretty much hate every band/artist you list.  And pretty much did back in the 90's, so it's not like I'm trying to be hip or something.  And I do like alot of what came before and after the 90's. It's was just a time of self-absorbed angsty lyrics, grunting like they're taking a shit vocals, and loud out of tune music.

Of those you list, I do like one Janes Addiction album. But it came out in 1988.

The 90's was the last gasp of Rock N' Roll - I could go on and on about all the truly great bands who broke through to the mainstream...  PJ Harvey, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Hole, Belly, Jane's Addiction, Faith No More, Foo Fighters, Suede, Pulp, Blur, Oasis, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Beck, Bikini Kill, Fugazi, Sunny Day Real Estate, Afghan Whigs, Tool, Rage Against The Machine, etc.  I could go on and on and on.  The 90's were fucking AWESOME!
Courtney Love is a great front-woman who is sure to put on a memorable show regardless of who is in the band / how the show is booked (Courtney Love vs. Hole).  I only liked their first two albums but you have to give her credit for keeping music exciting!

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14178-nobodys-daughter/

I agree with Fiona, this board is filled with sexist pigs. I agree with Vansmack. There are men who will pretend to NOT be sexist pigs because they are that desperate to get laid. A good woman is one who to some degree tolerates our inate male piggy idiosyncracies, and a good man is one who tolerates the inateness of female bitchiness.

Regardless of all of that, can't we just leave the musical suckage that was the 90's behind? And I'm  a 42 year old white male saying that.

StoneTheCrow

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2010, 12:18:31 pm »
From the review: ..."despite her public meltdowns, Love remains preoccupied with posture and pose..."

More like the meltdowns are part of the posture and pose.

And being 42 hardly means your taste in music is awful/corrupted.  I'm part of that 35-44 demographic myself and I love just about every band on that list.  To each their own.

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
Just a thought, but why not spend that $55 to see five to say eight shows with hungry up and coming rock bands, surely there are some out there that don't want to be the next Nickleback or Passion Pit and just want to RAWK!

$55 is a lot of money for a washed-up attention seeker who is now writing songs with Linda Perry.
T.Rex

RustyOrgan

« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2010, 01:32:39 pm »
Again, Courtney is a commanding and infamous front-woman pariah - $45 was the most I'd pay to see her in a club.  If this show was anywhere else (bigger venue) I wouldn't have bothered.

Just a thought, but why not spend that $55 to see five to say eight shows with hungry up and coming rock bands, surely there are some out there that don't want to be the next Nickleback or Passion Pit and just want to RAWK!
$55 is a lot of money for a washed-up attention seeker who is now writing songs with Linda Perry.

RustyOrgan

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2010, 02:41:44 pm »
I doubt the new album is anything more than mediocre, but...
SALON: Courtney Love has the last laugh - The tabloid punch line and master of self-sabotage has done something totally expected: She put out a great album
http://www.salon.com/life/courtney_love/index.html?story=/mwt/feature/2010/04/27/courtney_love_returns

James Ford

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 03:11:22 pm »
When I want substantial music reviews, first thing I do is go to salon.com.

I bet the new album scores less than a 50 on metacritic.

eros

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 04:16:39 pm »
Don't worry, Pitchfork gave it a 2.9.

All is right with the world.   ::)
ʎɐʍou

nkotb

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2010, 04:23:39 pm »
Close...but Pitchfork's review brought down the average big time.

http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/hole/nobodysdaughter

When I want substantial music reviews, first thing I do is go to salon.com.

I bet the new album scores less than a 50 on metacritic.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2010, 06:11:24 pm »

because most people would rather rehash something they thought was cool 20 years ago, than be confronted with the unfamiliar.

That list Rusty Organ posted was a depressing compendium of the era when mainstream got retagged "alternative."   There are some good bands in there, but even back then so much of that was unimaginative dreck... and at this point it's today's Classic Rock...

« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 06:18:58 pm by Doctor Doom »
_\|/_

Vas Deferens

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2010, 08:41:36 am »
wait a minute, you're 42? your wife is like 32, or at least she looks 32....or maybe you both look younger ....

(_|_)

James Ford

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2010, 08:52:46 am »
Haha. Gee, thanks, at least on my wife's behalf.

I'll be 43 next week, she'll be 38 in June.

wait a minute, you're 42? your wife is like 32, or at least she looks 32....or maybe you both look younger ....

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2010, 10:12:33 am »
she'll be 38 in June.

doghouse in 3... 2...
<sig>

James Ford

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2010, 11:09:47 am »
June 1, 1972 in case you're looking to give her a gift.

she'll be 38 in June.

doghouse in 3... 2...

RustyOrgan

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2010, 12:03:44 pm »
This jerkoff doesn't know what he's talking about - doesn't know what it was like pre-Nevermind.  This shit WAS Alternative!

because most people would rather rehash something they thought was cool 20 years ago, than be confronted with the unfamiliar.

That list Rusty Organ posted was a depressing compendium of the era when mainstream got retagged "alternative."   There are some good bands in there, but even back then so much of that was unimaginative dreck... and at this point it's today's Classic Rock...