Author Topic: My Morning Jacket at MPP  (Read 2255 times)

Cock Van Der Palm

My Morning Jacket at MPP
« on: May 02, 2010, 09:10:49 pm »
Anyone else go?  I'm a casual fan but always enjoy their live shows.  Thought the show was excellent and
really enjoyed the opener Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

gaaaaaaaaah

Re: My Morning Jacket at MPP
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 09:21:40 pm »
Pretty big fan, and that was my first time seeing them. They were great. Preservation Hall were an incredible opener. Nice to see the great reception they got, and how much they and MMJ seemed to enjoy the fact that they're touring together. I wish Merriweather didn't have that curfew, since there were a few more MMJ standards I wanted to hear. But all in all, I thought it was a really good show.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 12:42:03 am »
It will be one of the best shows this year for sure! The songs that didn't get played were from the last album (Highly Suspicious, Evil Urges) so it's all good. MPP was the perfect venue for them!
(_|_)

reggie

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 10:22:09 am »
9th time seeing MMJ. Great show. I'm glad that they didn't play too much off of Evil Urges, and favored It Still Moves material.

Also, it was kinda easy to get pit tickets through ticketfly. I usually end up with awful seats at Merriweather so this was a nice surprise.

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 10:42:33 am »
It was my 7th or 8th time seeing MMJ and just about the best, except for the shorter set time.  They really delivered for the amount of time they were able to play, though.

Steam Engine was the highlight for me.  It doesn't really feel like a complete MMJ show to me unless that is played.

There were two songs that seem to be new MMJ songs, and both were great.  One of them was sung mostly by Carl. 

We were in the center of the fifth row of seats, and many of the people in the first few rows in front of us were sitting down for most of the show.  It boggles my mind how anyone could sit through that.

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 10:53:43 am »
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-05-01

Haven't listened yet, but there's the recording.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:41:15 pm »
http://www.archive.org/details/mmj2010-05-01

Haven't listened yet, but there's the recording.

i've listened to 3 tracks (streaming) so far... amazing quality recording (as a commentator wrote, "This recording is one of the best audience recordings I've heard"), and does indeed sound like it was a great show.
<sig>

gaaaaaaaaah

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:54:32 pm »
I don't know whether both of the new songs are for an MMJ album, but Wonderful is a really good song. I could see that maybe being a Jim solo track, but it better show up on some album.

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:15:56 pm »
you totally missed out!  ::)

enjoy phish and MGMT!  :P

i've listened to 3 tracks (streaming) so far... amazing quality recording (as a commentator wrote, "This recording is one of the best audience recordings I've heard"), and does indeed sound like it was a great show.
(_|_)

reggie

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 03:42:33 pm »
the song Carl sang is from his solo lp, it's on his myspace page....

Mr.Whippy

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:33:25 am »
I don't know whether both of the new songs are for an MMJ album, but Wonderful is a really good song. I could see that maybe being a Jim solo track, but it better show up on some album.

I've heard that "Wonderful" song performed by Jim solo in one of his solo shows that NPR has available for streaming. 

I'll echo what others have said about the recording of the MPP show that is up on Archive.org, it is a really fantastic audience recording.