Author Topic: Who Gets angry about free music?  (Read 4573 times)

rocknocerous

Who Gets angry about free music?
« on: May 11, 2010, 03:09:50 pm »
Ok,
   So now that we have established that I am in fact a DC native... (Person born at a DC general Hospital)... I have been returning to my roots and going to the 930 club and handing out free CDs to folks after big shows. I have been really surprised by people's reaction to free music. There are about three consistent reactions:
1) Walk past no reaction (25%)
2) "Yeah I'd love a free CD" *takes CD (65%)
3) Getting angry (10%)

The third reaction boggles my mind. Does anyone every get angry when somone is trying to give them free music? Plz tell me the rational here!

James Ford

Re: Who Gets angry about free music?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 03:27:41 pm »
I would get angry only if it's a Rocknocerous cd.

For the life of me, I can't understand the "kids music" phenomenon. I mean the Ramones are simple enough for any five year old to "get". So where's the need for "kids music"?

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 03:34:58 pm »
my take is that they're seeing your offer as an invasion of privacy - they didn't ask to talk to you, would be happier without your interruption, you're invading their space, etc.  these people probably have the same reaction to someone handing them a flyer - "f*ck off, i don't want one!!!".  

maybe they've got some form of social dysfunction (mild Asperger's, for example) and just don't know how to deal with strangers?

i don't get it either, this is all that i can come up with.  i don't understand what's so hard about saying "no thanks".
<sig>

rocknocerous

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 03:37:20 pm »
Lol,
   Thanks for the insight. I guess I'm the type of person who always like indie style music where people were trading demo tapes and mixes. Call me old fashioned, but in this crazy age of mp3 downloads I could just hand out thumb drives with an mp3 on it and say, "free memory anyone?"

atomicfront

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:51:42 pm »
I think it is a DC thing.  I find crowds at the 930 club to be the rudest in the country.  To many transitive people who feel they dont' know any of the people around them and can be as rude as possible.   Of course the crowds at the old 930 club were friendly enough.

If you don't want a CD take it and give it to someone else or throw it in a trash can.  Or you could just listen to it when you get a chance.   I usually listen to the CD's people give outside of shows on the way home.

Mark_Read

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 03:56:46 pm »
I've had people (not at the club) hand me a CD and then run after me looking for a "donation". Maybe you are being mistaken for one of those.

rocknocerous

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 03:58:26 pm »
Maybe it's that this area has that whole "self importance" kind of vibe to it. What with politics and all the rich ppl that live here... It could feed a bit into a sense of self entitlement and lack of caring for your fellow man. Idk, I've also been to some pretty awesome rock shows where the ppl were awesome in DC... so maybe it's show specific...

I've had people (not at the club) hand me a CD and then run after me looking for a "donation". Maybe you are being mistaken for one of those.

No I don't ask for anything, just say, "Free cd?"

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 04:07:35 pm »
there are those people who feel "free" and "music" in any sort of sentence together, automatically means to them:  fucking people like you stealing every fucking thing off the internet have destroyed the fucking music industry that i used to fucking love.  now get the fuck out my way.  and when you try to them that this is not the case, they think you are trying to rob them or even worse they think you want an extra cigarette, so they tell you to fuck off.   or maybe they are too tired to deal, and just want to get to the pizza by the slice place before it closes.

vansmack

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 04:11:08 pm »
I only get mad that you hand out CD's.  Tangible media is dead.

Hand me a slip of paper where I can download it or give me a flash drive with your tracks on it that I can reuse.
27>34

rocknocerous

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:07 pm »
there are those people who feel "free" and "music" in any sort of sentence together, automatically means to them:  fucking people like you stealing every fucking thing off the internet have destroyed the fucking music industry that i used to fucking love.  now get the fuck out my way. 

Ok, so this is what is strange to me. Everyone knows that it's always the folks that are working for the label or promotion company that have the hottest and newest music years before it ever hits mainstream... It seems like it's the contradiction between "Everyone wants to find the next big thing," but "No one wants to listen to a nobody." I don't think you can have your cake and eat it to.

rocknocerous

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 04:16:31 pm »
I only get mad that you hand out CD's.  Tangible media is dead.

Hand me a slip of paper where I can download it or give me a flash drive with your tracks on it that I can reuse.

See This I believe in, but then everyone litters those paper things all over the street and I feel bad cuz I'm f&*^ing up the environment.... the memory stick idea is something I have yet to try. I wonder if ppl would dig that?! Or would it just wind up in the trash? How many ppl these days use those things?

walkonby

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 04:28:01 pm »
i was handed one of those card free download things at raleigh when i went to see widespread . . . and i had to sign up on this site, go through all this hoopla, and agree to try the site for a "free" period of time.  all for one music download.  i'll take the cd please, and use it to cut my pizza by the slice if the music is crap.

vansmack

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »
See This I believe in, but then everyone litters those paper things all over the street and I feel bad cuz I'm f&*^ing up the environment....

Compare the biodegration time of that slip of paper versus the biodegration time of that CD you just burnt and tell me again which is better for the environment...

Littering?  Now that's the problem you face with the paper idea.  Just sweep up the area around you when you're done.

As for the Flash drives, a quick search led me to find nothing cheaper than $4 each, so that's probably still prohibitively expensive, though that does come with a free Rocknocerous logo on it!
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 04:39:29 pm »
Well - how about start with the obvious. Maybe the show they came outta sucked/crowd sucked/people wouldnt stfu - and they spent a huge amount of money on it - and the last thing they want to deal with is someone trying to hand them shit.

on occasion - we all want to be left alone.

which leads me to.... it was so nice when kevin drew told some people near me to STFU or he'd have security yank them. They were so loud that you couldnt even hear him. If they hadnt quieted down - I quite possibly would have been one of those people.
HeyLa

lagas

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »
the last free cd i received at a show was one of the vita ruins, and i found it to be pretty good...
zorra