Author Topic: Brian Jonestown Massacre last night  (Read 3704 times)

tdcpinoy

Brian Jonestown Massacre last night
« on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:42 am »
Who went to the show last night?  It was great!  Really good to see Matt Hollywood back.  No encore but great set with older and newer material. 

@redsock: The BJM show at DC9 a few years back was one of my favorite shows of all time.  Thanks for booking it.

thirsty moore

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre last night
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 10:47:13 am »
Great show last night. The last time I saw them was backstage at the Black Cat and they were all doped up and fighting with each other. Much, much better this time.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 11:13:56 am »
I thought is was just ok.  They sounded great but just never really got over the top with it for me.

thirsty moore

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 11:30:36 am »
These 4 brahs in front of me were totally wrecked and howling throughout the show. I'm surprised they didn't ice each other.

thirsty moore

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 07:53:27 pm »
Chaz, it was just you and me apparently at that show.

chaz

• este lugar es una mierda
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 08:37:11 pm »
Chaz, it was just you and me apparently at that show.
No, I was there with my friend Jon.  He was definitely there too.

betao

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2010, 09:16:26 pm »
I was there too. I thought they were pretty damn good. Highlights for me were Let Me Land Next To Your Flower, Anenome (really enjoyed this), Cabin Fever, and Servo. I agree an encore would've been cool, but it is what it is. All the hits sounded pretty good over all.

Mobius

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 09:29:49 pm »
I was there.  First time seeing them.  Enjoyed it.  Having seen Dig! its nice to see them together, focused, tight . . . I think they would have benefitted from maybe fewer songs (since many sound so similar anyway) and more kind of extended psychodelic shoegaze lazer guided melody exploration within some songs . . . lots of guitar solos, but only a few times did they go deep (I think) . . . no complaints though

redsock

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2010, 11:07:57 pm »
@redsock: The BJM show at DC9 a few years back was one of my favorite shows of all time.  Thanks for booking it.

Thanks, i have very few highlights from my promoter days, but that show is probably at the top.

azaghal1981

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2010, 12:25:31 am »
Planned encores are the lamest thing going in live music today. The note they ended on was perfect. With that said, I thought last night's show was solid. Very similar to last year's. I typically get annoyed with bands who exceed the 90-minute mark but this felt like a fast two hours to me.
احمد

azaghal1981

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 02:15:35 pm »
Another thing worth noting:
This is the first time I've seen a band with a new album out not play one song from that album while touring for its release.

I guess they never worked out live arrangements for the mostly electronically oriented Who Killed Sgt. Pepper? songs.
احمد

betao

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 09:57:05 pm »
Yeah I noticed that as well. The first track they did (with Hollywood on the small drum) sounded like the first track on WKSP, but I couldn't tell for sure.

They also didn't play anything from My Bloody Underground, right?

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 10:07:20 pm »
No, that was Super-sonic off Give it Back. And no, nothing off MBU either.
احمد