Author Topic: Goldfrapp  (Read 2814 times)

Sir HC

Goldfrapp
« on: June 22, 2010, 10:51:08 am »
Thought it was a great show, Cults, not so much, but the 70s Prog-Rock look and the booming system worked for Goldfrapp.  Played all the hits so can't complain.

Fiona

Re: Goldfrapp
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »
Me, too. I had a great time. I've seen them before and they've always been great. Their look is really fantastic as well. I can't comment on the Cults as I got there late and didn't see them.

James Ford

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:33:42 pm »
I didn't go, but I think it's funny that she's older than I am.

Staralfur25

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 03:45:12 pm »
Amazing show!!!  Can't believe how close we were to goldfrapp.  Got some
great pics and couple videos.   :D
the cults were awful.  They need a new singer.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:12:59 pm »
great Goldfrapp gig last night...what a setlist!

crowd could have been better esp. the balcony...they looked like they were watching a Jack Johnson gig!

yeah, i thought the show was pretty damn good.  dunno where you were but people around me were definitely dancing during the whole show, it was relatively impressive for a DC crowd (i was on the floor, just behind the 4 or 5 dudes with blond wigs).  balcony did look pretty tame, but then again when i'm not feeling too high energy i often head for the balcony so i don't expect the craziest dancers up there.  from the middle of the floor sound quality went up and down - for a few songs, bass was way too loud.  good setlist indeed.

crowd was made up of an above-average proportion of gay men, and female hotties.  between them, alison's costumes and the silver half-doughnut on stage - plenty to look at :D   

above comments were posted in the "this week's rollcall" thread.
<sig>

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 07:37:18 pm »
I enjoyed Goldfrapp although the first 30 minutes dragged a bit.... they seem like the perfect festival band doing a tight hour set of the hits.

Cults on the other hand were down right dreadful, someone needs to tell the rest of the band their girlfriend can't actually sing.   It boggles the mind how a band that lousy, who could barely do a 30 minute set, ends up on a national tour.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 10:14:29 pm »
So the likes of Perez Hilton and Pitchfork are singing the praises of Cults.... enuf said...  also expect clones of them shortly
T.Rex

James Ford

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 07:16:35 am »
What do Perez Hilton and Pitchfork have in common, other than you (and I) not liking either of them?

So the likes of Perez Hilton and Pitchfork are singing the praises of Cults.... enuf said...  also expect clones of them shortly

Vas Deferens

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 01:07:24 pm »
I agree, but they eventually delivered esp. during the older, more electronic stuff...

I enjoyed Goldfrapp although the first 30 minutes dragged a bit....   
(_|_)

blipvurt

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 03:05:47 pm »
Check out the WLDC review of Goldfrapp at 9:30 Club:

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/23/we-love-music-goldfrapp-930-club-62110/

Enjoy!

Fiona

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 04:57:06 pm »
Check out the WLDC review of Goldfrapp at 9:30 Club:

http://www.welovedc.com/2010/06/23/we-love-music-goldfrapp-930-club-62110/

Enjoy!

Thanks for the review. I'm glad this person enjoyed the music, but they seem like a huge complainer! I liked the silver donut and the costumes. They were campy but that fits with Goldfrapp. I did not experience a lot of jerks at the show. Now anytime you go to a sold out show, it's going to be crowded and there may be some unintentional pushing and shoving. But for me, everyone around me was cool and really into the show.  I was not right up at the front though as I got there late. Maybe it's different if you are closer. But I have to say everytime I've been to the  930 club I've had a great experience. Even when I have been up close I never felt people were being intentionally rude or pushy.

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 09:47:07 pm »
mad i missed this. they're a good group.

Staralfur25

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 02:40:16 am »
i was near the front and there was no pushing
or shoving at all!!   I was also at the passion pit show that was
sold out and that was the most annoying crowd ever.
I probably annoyed that guy cause i was dancing. ha ha