Author Topic: Record Stores  (Read 5128 times)

kcjones119

Record Stores
« on: June 06, 2005, 09:53:00 am »
I know it gets covered here periodically, but I was wondering if there were any decent independent record stores in the DC/MD area.  I enjoyed Record & Tape Traders and the Soundgarden when I lived around Balt.  Any favorites down here?

HoyaSaxa03

Re: Record Stores
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 10:46:00 am »
i like  crooked beat records in adams morgan ... revolution is good too ...
(o|o)

brennser

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 10:49:00 am »
Originally posted by HoyaParanoia:
  revolution is good too ...
indeed it is!

bellenseb

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 12:25:00 pm »
I like Crooked Beat, and it's great for vinyl, but the place I most often find what I'm looking for, especially with new releases, is Melody in Dupont.

you be betty

• flickr.com/photos/youbebetty
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 04:11:00 pm »
if you're into punk and hardcore stuff and whatnot, smash in georgetown is fun.  
 except sometimes, the employees are old crusty men that grunt and glare at you.

flawd101

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 05:05:00 pm »
why can't you just be american and go to best buy...stop trying to be cool...

you be betty

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 06:27:00 pm »
because best buy is overpriced.
 almost all record stores are overpriced.

i actually buy virtually everything used in california...don't care where i get it really, i just refuse to pay $18 for a cd.

Bags

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 08:57:00 pm »
Originally posted by you be betty:
  because best buy is overpriced.
 almost all record stores are overpriced.

i actually buy virtually everything used in california...don't care where i get it really, i just refuse to pay $18 for a cd.
Well, Best Buy is the only place I've found new releases for $6.99 and $7.99.   Got Green Day for $8.99 months after its release date.  Woo hoo!

you be betty

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 09:24:00 pm »
i have to agree on that one, on new music tuesday best buy is fairly good.

i plan on picking up the new stripes album tomorrow for approximately nine dollars and ninety-nine cents.  what a deal.

but then, like, a week later it goes back up to being overpriced again.  usually

kcjones119

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 07:18:00 am »
plus i am really searching for snarky record clerks who will make me feel insecure about my musical taste, not some best buy car stereo guy.

"There's no way your daughter likes that sond......oh oh sorry....is she in a coma?"

brennser

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 09:09:00 am »
*thinks*

must watch High Fidelity DVD this evening

Originally posted by kcjones119:
  plus i am really searching for snarky record clerks who will make me feel insecure about my musical taste, not some best buy car stereo guy.

"There's no way your daughter likes that sond......oh oh sorry....is she in a coma?"

ggw

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 09:33:00 am »

Smash is the store for you.

ggw

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 09:35:00 am »
Originally posted by brennser:
  *thinks*

Or you could go see Nick Hornby on Thursday:

Thursday, June 9 at 7:00PM || Nick Hornby || At Olsson's Arlington/Courthouse, 2111 Wilson Blvd., 703-525-4227

Author of "High Fidelity" and "Fever Pitch," Nick Hornby reads from his latest novel, A Long Way Down. Meet Martin, JJ, Jess, and Maureen: a former TV talk show host; a musician; a teenage girl; and a mother. They encounter one another on New Year's Eve on the roof of Topper's House, a London destination famous as the last stop for those ready to end their lives. In four distinct and riveting first! -person voices, Nick Hornby tells a story of four individuals confronting the limits of choice, circumstance, and their own mortality.

brennser

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 09:38:00 am »
I might just do that - thanks ggw

Originally posted by ggwâ?¢:

Originally posted by brennser:
  *thinks*

Or you could go see Nick Hornby on Thursday:

Thursday, June 9 at 7:00PM || Nick Hornby || At Olsson's Arlington/Courthouse, 2111 Wilson Blvd., 703-525-4227

Author of "High Fidelity" and "Fever Pitch," Nick Hornby reads from his latest novel, A Long Way Down. Meet Martin, JJ, Jess, and Maureen: a former TV talk show host; a musician; a teenage girl; and a mother. They encounter one another on New Year's Eve on the roof of Topper's House, a London destination famous as the last stop for those ready to end their lives. In four distinct and riveting first! -person voices, Nick Hornby tells a story of four individuals confronting the limits of choice, circumstance, and their own mortality. [/b]

HoyaSaxa03

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2005, 11:16:00 am »

the crooked beat records guy is awesome ... i was listening to a bomp! compilation and had some bands i was interested in, he knew all of them, knew their best albums, and i ended up putting $150 on my credit card! woohoo!
(o|o)