Author Topic: Free Frest 2010 Get to Know the Bands  (Read 8859 times)

runwhiteyrun06

Free Frest 2010 Get to Know the Bands
« on: July 23, 2010, 04:10:18 pm »
On the Lollapalooza boards they have a topic where they will go through the entire lineup and give some background on each band and list essential songs. I thought it would be nice if we could do the same thing here. By doing this, anyone interested in this thread can become more familiar with the bands. At least in my case, I knew a good deal about most of the bands playing last year but this year it's a lot of bands I haven't listened to but know they are supposed to be decent.

LCD Soundsystem: One of the most well-known bands playing this year. Responsible for writing one of the best songs of the past decade with "All my Friends".

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: Free Frest 2010 Get to Know the Bands
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 04:40:35 pm »
Chromeo.
‼‼?‼‼

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:31 pm »

Pavement

PRO: Are cooler than you are, but not in that annoying/Sonic Youth way.
CON: Are responsible for Weezer.

Brian

walkonby

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »
joan jett - lesbian.  is smoking hot for her age.  likes to sneer.  loves leather.

hutch

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 05:05:26 pm »
joan jett - lesbian.  is smoking hot for her age.  likes to sneer.  loves leather.

the plastic surgery is such a buzzkill...

Brian_Wallace

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 05:37:16 pm »

Has she had work done?  I DEMAND photographic evidence!

I just saw a very recent picture of her and it didn't look it.  She DID look awfully young but if she had work done, whoever did it did a great job.

Unlike.....I mean she's still hot and all but can we just admit that Angelina Jolie has has a LOT of work done?  Heidi Montag gets a lot of work and they call her Frankenstein.  Jolie gets a lot of work done and she's Mother Teresa.  Jolie's lips are like Pamela Anderson's boobs.  Just ridiculous.  Awesome, but ridiculous.  I mean, look at this:

Hot.  But that ain't real.

Brian

mahimahi1414

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2010, 09:45:33 am »
I'll give it a shot

Sleigh Bells

Bio: Two members, Derek (songwriter, guitarist) and Alexis (vocals). Met in 2008 when Derek was a waiter at a restaurant in New York and mentioned to Alexis' mom that he was trying to start a music project. Alexis' mom suggested he get in touch with her daughter.  Have released one album, Treats.

Key Songs:
Crown on the Ground (probably their biggest song)
Tell 'Em
Rill Rill

I'm really not sure what the crowd will be like in the dance tent. Especially considering the stage acts are less popular among a mainstream audience that in previous years I wouldn't be surprised if the dance tent is packed. Here's a clip from their Coachella show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WM5wim4nMA

eltee

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2010, 10:29:31 am »

Has she had work done?  I DEMAND photographic evidence!

Brain
Yes. In People mag after "Runaways" premiered she made some comment about looking younger and they had comparison photos. She may not have had surgery, but she isn't dermatologist free.
Angelina's third nose job did her face in.

I have nothing new to add about the bands, but I'm definitely excited to see Pavement (nothing bad can be said, Brain), Joan Jett, LCD, Thievery, Matt & Kim, and curious about Sleigh Bells and Neon.
There were blurbs about each band on the TF purchase page...

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 10:53:47 am »
Thanks, mahimahi. Well what I also intended with this thread was if people could post a couple songs that are must representative of each band so people can do some listening.

I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but I just listened to Pavement for the first time ever (I was too young to know them when they were big) and yeah they are good, but I don't get why they are so universally loved and acclaimed. I now also know what must have been one of Weeezer's big influence.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:57:46 am by runwhiteyrun06 »

killsaly

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06:34 pm »
Die Antwoord - Enter the Ninja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc3f4xU_FfQ

From WIki:
Die Antwoord (Afrikaans: "The Answer") rap act from Cape Town, South Africa consisting of three members, Ninja, Yo-Landi Vi$$er and DJ Hi-Tek.

The band self-identifies as a mélange of several diverse cultures all mixed into one.

Die Antwoord performs music which incorporates many Zef elements and references. Zef is a South African slang term that describes a unique South African style which is modern and trashy and also includes out-of-date, discarded cultural and style elements.  Their lyrics are performed in both Afrikaans  and English

atomicfront

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »
The only band I don't know is Modelsektor.  This isn't Lollapalooza where you have 50 bands you have never heard before on the line-up.

I would say

Yeasayer - Amblin Alp
Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer
Matt & Kim - Daylight
Sleigh Bells - Rill Rill

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 12:41:20 pm »
The only band I don't know is Modelsektor. 

indeed... it's "modeselektor" ;D
<sig>

K8teebug

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 12:56:39 pm »
Joan Jett is also from Baltimore :)

Vas Deferens

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 01:17:25 pm »
Sleigh Bells - a duo that uses 90% prerecorded music, live guitars and a hyperactive lead singer.
(_|_)

Justin Tonation

• Did you ever wonder?
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 01:22:52 pm »
Joan Jett is also from Baltimore :)

ROCKVILLE!!!
😐 🎶