Author Topic: Damien and NAS, other rap concerts, and MaryJane at 930  (Read 5845 times)

BennyBones

Damien and NAS, other rap concerts, and MaryJane at 930
« on: July 25, 2010, 12:08:22 am »
Mary Is one of my favorite people, and her absence at 930 makes me sad.   At Venues out in the western United States its always pretty acceptable to light up.  I've done the same in hammerstein ballroom in NYC.  Well thats what brings me to my Dilemma:

I can't bring myself to go to a rap concert at 930 because of their strictness on weed.  Its not like they have a no drug policy, just none taken inside their doors.  If they see you drinking alcohol outside the venue they won't let you in, and although the same is probably true with most other drugs I haven't seen it happen. 

You get to the 930 and your waiting in line, hopefully U went earlier that day and already have your ticket. Your just waiting for the hippie walking up and down the line chanting "molly, doses."   I'm the first to step up and yell YES PLEASE!  These drugs are great, but have you ever tried ubnoxiously grinding the shit out of your girlfriend to "Fuck bitches, get Money?"

Well, it isn't much fun.  And as such, I think the lack of good rap shows at the 930 is directly related to their strictness on Marijuana.  Wiz Khalifa for 15 dollars at the 930 sober?  No thank you i'll go spend a 100 dollars to see Jay Z at the Verizon Center and YES I'LL be GETTING HIGH!

azaghal1981

Re: Damien and NAS, other rap concerts, and MaryJane at 930
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 12:17:52 am »
This thread will be fun.

احمد

atomicfront

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 12:37:21 am »
When I was in Atlanta on business I went to see Mickey Avalon, Stephen Marley and Snoop Dogg one night as I had nothing else to do that evening.

Well Snoop Dogg kept telling people to smoke some weed.  Everytime some lit up they were picked up and thrown out of the venue.  Pretty funny.

serpent boy

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2010, 01:40:45 am »
I'll just add my praise for the 9:30 Club's strict policies on drugs. It makes my experience at the shows much, much more enjoyable. Nothing is more annoying than everyone around you smoking weed.

James Ford

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2010, 09:56:42 am »
Weed smoke actually smells fine. It's cigarette smoke that's repugnant. Outside of maybe a Roots show, I'd have to be very, very high to ebjoy a hip hop show.

Mobius

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 10:29:30 am »

You get to the 930 and your waiting in line, hopefully U went earlier that day and already have your ticket. Your just waiting for the hippie walking up and down the line chanting "molly, doses."   I'm the first to step up and yell YES PLEASE!  These drugs are great, but have you ever tried ubnoxiously grinding the shit out of your girlfriend to "Fuck bitches, get Money?"

Your ability to write so lucidly yet codedly makes me think you should be a Republican speechwriter.  Go for it homes!  Anyway, while I think I followed along with most of your post, this paragraph confused me.  Are you saying that you wish hippies were selling LSD outside hip hop shows at the club while acknowledging that dosing at a hip hop show at the Club would be extraordinarily unpleasant and ill-advised??  Or are you expressing the unspoken awesomeness of tripping balls while ubnoxiously grinding your girlfriend to cliche rap lyrics from 1992?  Follow up question:  Why do you live in DC when other cities suit your character better??

walkonby

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 11:43:34 am »
lsd and small, crowded hot clubs =  bad time in my opinion.  with rap music =  kill myself.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2010, 11:48:53 am »
Well thats what brings me to my Dilemma:

I can't bring myself to go to a rap concert at 930 because of their strictness on weed. 

I think the lack of good rap shows at the 930 is directly related to their strictness on Marijuana.  Wiz Khalifa for 15 dollars at the 930 sober?  No thank you i'll go spend a 100 dollars to see Jay Z at the Verizon Center and YES I'LL be GETTING HIGH!

so you're not so much in to the artists, you're just a fan of getting high while listening to music.  why don't you stay home, get blitzed, and crank up the stereo?  get high enough, and you'll think you're at the show.  if you *need* drugs to enjoy a show, it's not saying much about your love for the artist(s).

maybe there are some underground warehouse or small club shows that will let you smoke whatever you want.  doubtful that they'll have the amenities of the 930 club, tho.

i'm certainly not against consuming at shows, but i don't think i should be a deal-breaker.  i'd rather see an artist/band sober than not see them at all.

this might be a stretch for you, but think of the club: drugs are currently illegal.  clubs can get in trouble for being lenient with drug users - be fined, have their liquor license revoked, be forced to hire extra security, be shut down, etc.  do you really think they're going to run those risks so a few kids can smoke?  maybe focus that energy on changing the laws.

that being said - party on, dude.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:50:42 am by sweetcell »
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 05:12:24 pm »
Turns out molly doses are extasy . . .that makes more sense!  That's why there is no such thing as a dumb question.  Here's another one:  is the 9:30 drug policy to blame for the strange lack of any dc hiphop scene?? We missed the whole damn thing and now that rap is a dead burned out carcass we offer up wale who did not match the hype.  Could a more open policy conducive to grinding bitches by this whitebread establishment club have changed history??

Ardamus

• Ardamus
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 05:34:03 pm »
LOL. I'm laughing at this thread.

hutch

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 06:26:17 pm »
Mari Juana is not what she once was..she bores me.. makes me paranoico..

Now coke... there should definitely be some serving lines at the bar

Thats the way to help get the party started...

Unsanity

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 06:38:22 pm »
just get high on the way to the venue I say. Its always funny when a performer wants the crowd to do something illegal/not allowed at a show. I saw Del tha Funkee Homosapien at the club few years back and his opening act Chip Fu (Formally of Fu-Schnickens) kept telling the crowd to have a weed party and that he was going to jump down and join in. Needless to say when he came down there was no weed party. Who says 9:30 doesn't get good hip-hop?

azaghal1981

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
I'd rather not have the 930 turn into the Rock and Roll Blowtel.

احمد

hutch

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 09:29:14 pm »
I'd rather not have the 930 turn into the Rock and Roll Blowtel.

Never been to RRB....

Maybe I'll check it out if they ever get a show I want to see..

Mobius

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 12:08:23 am »