Author Topic: State of the concert industry  (Read 5900 times)

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
State of the concert industry
« on: July 30, 2010, 11:12:53 am »
2010 By The Numbers (So Far)

It?s no secret ticket sales are down compared to previous years, but do you have what it takes to stare into the numbers for the first six months of 2010 without flinching? You do? Then grab hold of something nailed to the floor.

While compiling Pollstar?s Mid Year Business Analysis and charts we discovered an approximate 15 percent drop in key concert industy indicators. While some geographical areas are doing better than others, mostly because of higher employment figures, current economic conditions appear to be affecting all markets regardless of size.

But it?s not exactly a complete, across-the-board drop in ticket sales. Larger shows are feeling the economic pain more than their smaller counterparts. What?s more, club shows are still attracting respectably sized audiences.

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2010/07/09/731238.aspx

Turbulent Nation
The Live Nation Entertainment investors meeting at Irving Plaza in New York July 15 was grand theatre on a Shakespearean scale, with Michael Rapino and Irving Azoff in the lead roles.

(...)

"Rapino noted from the stage that the sobering numbers was a buzz kill, and he pointed out that investors in the room were e-mailing to their home offices the bad news after the ninth Powerpoint slide showed flat revenue for the past two years. Before the two hour-plus presentation wrapped, LYV stock had dropped 16 percent ? a quick loss of $322 million in market value"

http://www.pollstar.com/blogs/news/archive/2010/07/22/732956.aspx
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
Re: State of the concert industry
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 11:39:06 am »
Oh man, this doesn't effect me at all.
‼‼?‼‼

Hieronymus

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 11:53:16 am »
Yeah, it's not like bands are gonna stop playing.

And I'm pretty sure DC's established venues aren't going anywhere or getting consumed by LiveTicketBastardNation.

Hopefully Seth can stomp on the Fillmore, too, 'cos that thing's owned by the devil, is in shitty Silver Spring, and is built inside JC Penney.

Plus that thing says clubs are doing all right anyway, and they're all that really matter.

But yeah, tell me what I, the consumer, have to be worried about.

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 11:56:09 am »

It has hit me hard, I had to stop buying $250 Nickelback tickets.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:35:38 pm »

you don't go to concerts?
<sig>

Mobius

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 12:54:45 pm »
I don't know what the true state of the concert industry is, but just because an inherently flawed, cynical behemoth that is live nation has a drop in business doesn't tell me anyhing except less people are buying the shit THEY are serving

runwhiteyrun06

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:01:05 pm »
Can someone answer this question: Are there fewer "big acts" now then there were in the past 30 years? So instead of having a ton of arena sized acts the current industry has a whole lot of mid sized acts that can fill 1,000-2,000 venues?

If so, I could see that hurting Live Nation because Live Nation seems to focus on bigger acts.

Sir HC

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 01:44:41 pm »
Can someone answer this question: Are there fewer "big acts" now then there were in the past 30 years? So instead of having a ton of arena sized acts the current industry has a whole lot of mid sized acts that can fill 1,000-2,000 venues?

If so, I could see that hurting Live Nation because Live Nation seems to focus on bigger acts.

In that or another article they were talking about the number of big tours that cancelled shows or entire tours this year.  They blame the economy, I blame that they are crappy acts.

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:00:54 pm »
HC - could be related: during tough economic times, people limit their concert consumption.  when times are good, $75 for a crap show seems fine.  in tough time, one has to choose - the crap acts are going to be cut first.

i don't know if that eagles/dixie chicks/(other country star) would have been canceled during good economic times.  it was a big line-up, there just aren't enough people who can spare $100+/ticket to fill a stadium these days.
<sig>

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 02:35:37 pm »

you don't go to concerts?
Not Livenation ones.
‼‼?‼‼

walkonby

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »
i just paid forty dollars plus some service fees for front row widespread . . . that's all that matters in the state of the concert industry.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 06:42:10 pm by walkonby »

sweetcell

• I don't belong here.
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 04:07:54 pm »
DFA79N if you think this only affexts LN, and the rest ofthe industry is in a completely different bubble, you're naive. There are upsides (more acts in clubs) and downsides (less tours that might branch out to a club, your favorite act getting a big break opening for a major, band quitting b/c they see not even the big guys can make money, etc).

I'm pretty sure you've opined on LN shows here- i.e. You have been to LN events. I'm on the crackberry so I can't search right now.
<sig>

hemisphire

atomicfront

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2010, 05:18:24 pm »
By the time a band gets big enough to play big arenas they usually have started to suck anyway.

I don't care if Live Nation has less of draw. I have seen a ton of bands at the Ottobar in Baltimore and the Black Cat in DC that are better than anything they have playing at Nissan Pavillion/Jiffy Lube Live.  I have bought tickets for Arcade Fire, MGMT, My Morning Jacket, and Virgin Fest at Merriweather this year.  Probably will go see Vampire Weekend for the openers. Might see Keane.

I don't care if the concert industry dies.  There are enough great bands in Baltimore alone.  I am sure if things get bad enough bands from Brooklyn will be heading to Baltimore to play all the time.  I have seen great shows in private apartments in places like Copycat building and the Annex.  Shows where it is "5 dollars if you have it".  Bands will play music if they get paid big bucks or next to nothing.  Probably play better with less money. Look how badly Radiohead has become since they got a bunch of money. 

So I couldnt' care less if Live Nation goes out of business.  Probably would be great for me if they did. 

I don't want to see a band at a giant sports arena anyway.  How is that enjoyable. 

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 08:14:06 am »
"Live Nation also promises to be more consumer friendly..."

"The company also wants to start collecting service fees on all tickets bought at venue box offices ? the one place consumers previously could go to circumvent many of the added fees."

Thanks, friend!