Author Topic: Quietest show at the club  (Read 3915 times)

Sir HC

Quietest show at the club
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:12:44 pm »
This one is harder as different genres will by nature be quieter.  For me the one that was too quiet was Cracker years back, forget who opened, but my GF of the time wanted to see him, good as you couldn't hear him over the people talking.

And when Cracker came on, the audience was still louder than the band, until "Eurotrash Girl" where everyone sang along (poorly) and cheered.

That show sucked.

Herr Professor Doktor Doom

• my blog
Re: Quietest show at the club
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 06:31:42 pm »
I've been to almost every Cracker show at the 930...  I don't remember that, exactly, but it is a band that unfortunately inspires a lot of bad singing along by peeps seeking to demonstrate their knowledge of the lyrics.

_\|/_

Vas Deferens

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
LOW .......... gotta be...... I mean, I even fell asleep in the middle of their set and bumped into people....
(_|_)

Lazer Guided Melodies

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:06 pm »
I seem to remember the Mojave 3 show from early 2001 as being pretty darn quiet.  Of course, it did not really matter as there had to be all of 50 people there.  

mbg73

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 06:59:51 pm »
If we're not taking audience noise (i.e., talking) into consideration, Cat Power opening for GBV way back when.

killsaly

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:08 am »
For band volume it was definitely Low on their last tour.  For crowd noise, it was Bright Eyes playing their Four Winds show a little bit before Cassadega came out. 

hutch

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 09:18:15 am »
Yo La Tengo acoustic seated show was very quiet

eros

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 09:25:20 am »
One that stands out in my mind....we had tickets to the Ben Folds show on 9/11/01, which obviously didn't happen.  It got rescheduled for the following Friday and the opener was Citizen Cope.  He came out and started playing this very quiet acoustic something or other and you could've heard a pin drop (though the club was maybe 1/3 full at that point).
ʎɐʍou

DeathFromAbove1979

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 10:35:47 am »
The National. Hands down. I mean, even the crowd wasn't making noise. Why the fuck are they so popular!? They're so god damn boring! I could have sat indian style on the floor and no one would have cared or done anything. So boring. So quiet. So lame.
‼‼?‼‼

thatguy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:59:12 am »
i can't remember the name of the artist, but we made signs that said something like "please respect the subtle and hushed nature of tonight's performance by not talking during the show."  there was no walk in music, as the crowd noise (or lack of it) was supposed to be part of the art.  i think there were also poems hanging from the rafters.  it was a very quiet night.

there are nights where we remind the staph to turn their radios down (or off) during the performance.

Shadrach

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 01:31:41 pm »
Cowboy Junkies always gets that quiet label, but Ray LaMontagne might have been the quietest crowd/show. There were times during his set where he was barely signing above a whisper and the crowd was so hushed, so silent that you could hear every nuance of his voice. Pretty impressive actually.

vansmack

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 01:48:05 pm »
Cowboy Junkies always gets that quiet label

I was going to say them, but I don't think I ever saw them at the club.  Without a doubt one of the quietest bands I've seen, but still amazing.
27>34

hutch

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:13:04 pm »
Cowboy Junkies always gets that quiet label

I was going to say them, but I don't think I ever saw them at the club.  Without a doubt one of the quietest bands I've seen, but still amazing.

saw them one NYE  at the 930..can't remember what year exactly..

crazy to book them for NYE!!!!!!!!!!!

saw them a few months ago at the State Theatre.. still amazing

chancegardener

• http://www.chancegardener.com
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 12:49:55 am »
Tony Bennett, at the old 930, 10/24/94

azaghal1981

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 05:56:39 pm »
Noveller when she opened for the Jesus Lizard in '09. It was nearly impossible to hear her playing over the crowd (though it was pathetically small).

Speaking of which, she's playing at Comet with David Sims tonight. Thinking this crowd will be a little more respectful.
احمد