Author Topic: James - 9/27  (Read 8318 times)

Frank Gallagher

Re: James - 9/27
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2010, 01:25:58 pm »
Duffy's

wait......they have Duffy's up there now?

vansmack

« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2010, 01:41:24 pm »
Duffy's

wait......they have Duffy's up there now?

Not the chain one.  A former manager of the 4P's (and friend of Smackie's, hence Kosmo's ribbing of me) opened his own bar and restaurant across the street from the 9:30 - it's called Duffy's...
27>34

blipvurt

« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2010, 02:02:51 pm »
I am just now recovering my voice from cheering so much at this last night. What an amazing show! Glad to see DC has so many James fans. Wish I could've made the '08 show but I was out of town on business. Perfectly thrilled with last night! Review coming soon.

xcanuck

« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2010, 02:43:04 pm »
That was simply a fantastic show. I'm not a huge fan of the band, but I've seen their last three DC shows because they never disappoint live. Last night was no exception. The band was tight, Tim Booth was engaging, and the crowd was really into it. Everything firing on all cylinders, especially by the end. And all my favorite bartenders were in the house. Good times.

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 02:58:07 pm »
Great reviews. Seeing them tonight at Webster Hall and really cant wait. Cant believe I missed seeing them in high school, but Im sure it was well worth the wait!
HeyLa

Christine Moritz

« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 03:08:19 pm »
Not the chain one.  A former manager of the 4P's (and friend of Smackie's, hence Kosmo's ribbing of me) opened his own bar and restaurant across the street from the 9:30 - it's called Duffy's...
Ahhh, OK.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/gog/bars-clubs/duffys-irish-restaurant-and-pub,1123671.html

westendgirl

« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:08 pm »
Watching the one-time frat boys dance around to the one and only song they recognized while singing "she only comes when she's on top" with wild abandon - priceless.

Frank Gallagher

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2010, 08:54:54 am »
Watching the one-time frat boys dance around to the one and only song they recognized while singing "she only comes when she's on top" with wild abandon - priceless.

If I was a member of the band, I would refuse to EVER play Laid again for that reason alone....and if 'she' does then 'he' has an problem!

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2010, 09:48:17 am »
Ed Harcourt gave a shout-out to DC saying how much better the crowd was than NY. Considering most the crowd talked through his entire set, I could see why.

Webster Hall might be the last place I ever want to see a show. Ive seen some messed up things - but last night James was told they had to end their set at 11pm. Needless to say, our encores disappeared like that - with them only coming out for one song. The crowd never left and kept on cheering, but to no avail, they never returned. I guess this is their new policy. And sadly, my friends and I all wanted to hear 'Born of Frustration' which wasnt even on the setlist.

The set opening in the balcony with 'Sit Down' all stripped down was quite awesome. Tim was very energetic and danced up a storm. He had a ton of women go on the stage for 'Laid' which nearly caused a fight. They did sound really great and the band was having a great time on stage. I wished I had seen them in high school, but this will have to do. And wasnt familiar with their new songs in the least, but most of what I heard was really great. He gave an intro to most the songs and said what they were about.

From friends in DC, it sounds like your show was infinitely better.

I have to say this was one of the worst crowds I had ever seen. Ive never encountered such rude people at a concert. I got slammed into the barricade by this huge chick because her friend was next to me, and she felt that she should just have her own spot next to him. Then she couldnt get on the stage during 'Laid' and nearly crushed a few of us. Audiences can really make or break a show. She then proceeded to tell a bunch of us to 'fuck off' as if it were the worst insult we had ever heard. I did meet one of the SYTYCD choreographers who was really cool.
HeyLa

James Ford

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2010, 10:48:39 am »
True thing. It's called a "lazy tongue".

If I was a member of the band, I would refuse to EVER play Laid again for that reason alone....and if 'she' does then 'he' has an problem!

James Ford

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2010, 10:49:54 am »
You're so right about a crowd making or breaking a show. Unfortunately, it usually seems like, if anything, they break it for me. Sorry that was true for you.

I have to say this was one of the worst crowds I had ever seen. Ive never encountered such rude people at a concert. I got slammed into the barricade by this huge chick because her friend was next to me, and she felt that she should just have her own spot next to him. Then she couldnt get on the stage during 'Laid' and nearly crushed a few of us. Audiences can really make or break a show. She then proceeded to tell a bunch of us to 'fuck off' as if it were the worst insult we had ever heard. I did meet one of the SYTYCD choreographers who was really cool.

vansmack

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:15 am »
I did meet one of the SYTYCD choreographers who was really cool.

Details! Details!  Was it Travis Wall?  I heart him....
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2010, 12:11:36 pm »
No it wasnt Travis Wall. It was Melanie Laplantin (or however her lastname is spelled). Turns out my cousin used to work for her in NYC. She was really cool and very nice. We talked for a bit and I got invited to a party of hers on Thursday night. We commisserated over dating woes in NYC. I <3 her :)
HeyLa

vansmack

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2010, 12:34:18 pm »
No it wasnt Travis Wall. It was Melanie Laplantin (or however her lastname is spelled). Turns out my cousin used to work for her in NYC. She was really cool and very nice. We talked for a bit and I got invited to a party of hers on Thursday night. We commisserated over dating woes in NYC. I <3 her :)

It's LaPatin, and I always thought she was a little crazy.  I also thoguht she was with Tony Meredith too, so it shows you what I know about them personally.

She does ballroom, which isn't my favorite, but they're good.

And you should totally go to the party...
27>34

xneverwherex

• Pics and more pics
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
I want to go to the party, but Im seeing Belle & Sebastian and Teenage Fanclub in Williamsburg. If time permits Ill go over. I think theyre trying to get more people to join their studio. And from talking to her, she is definitely very single :) She seemed a little crazy but was super nice and very friendly. And of course she was on the stage during 'Laid' and could easily outdance everyone :)

I realized she did ballroom when I talked to my cousin who worked for her. Shes prob now teaching ballroom in SF or something in her freetime.

It's LaPatin, and I always thought she was a little crazy.  I also thoguht she was with Tony Meredith too, so it shows you what I know about them personally.

She does ballroom, which isn't my favorite, but they're good.

And you should totally go to the party...
HeyLa