Author Topic: Jawbox  (Read 1353 times)

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Jawbox
« on: March 11, 2004, 07:50:00 pm »
So can one or more of the enlighten ones fill me in on this band?  They seem to be name checked by every sixth new group these days. I know they are from DC and of post-punk variety.  So are their records worthy of taking up space in my collection? And wasn't something by them re-issued recently.  ttfn
T.Rex

Venerable Bede

Re: Jawbox
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2004, 08:03:00 pm »
i've got one of their cds at home. . .you can have a listen sometime.  i haven't listened to it in sometime though.
OU812

thirsty moore

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2004, 12:54:00 am »
They've got an excellent anthology out on DeSoto, I believe, called My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents.  In high school I remember hearing HFS play their version of Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl" occasionally.  As far as DC punk goes, they were tops.

Burning Airlines, the band that formed from the splintered Jawbox, was also good.  But nowhere near what Jawbox was.

redsock

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2004, 01:39:00 am »
I think their very first album, that only the "real" fans had, only whispered about in dark corner, was recently re-released. Yeah, kinda early hardcore, right Thirsty? Somewhere after them DC stopped mattering to music fans who didn't live here. So I guess their demise made DC irrelevant.

Bombay Chutney

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2004, 08:14:00 am »
I've got "Novelty".  I like it a lot, but I have it on vinyl, so I rarely play it.  Loud, rockin' stuff.  They're high on my "I really fucked up by not seeing them when I had the chance" list.  I've heard you can't go wrong with any of their albums.  Even the major label stuff.

bearman🐻

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2004, 10:34:00 am »
Personally I still like "For Your Own Special Sweetheart". Savory was a terrific single. I like all of their stuff pretty OK. They were really friendly people and I miss having them around. For a while there DC had some phenomenal local bands. I especially miss Air Miami.

Bags

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2004, 10:39:00 am »
Embrace is the band to miss...that drummer Ivor was so wonderful *and* hot.    :D   [Okay, he went to college with me, in between bouts with the band...]

worktheweb

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2004, 05:10:00 pm »
For your own special sweetheart was a great disc.  They had a great sound that was heavy but not so distorted you couldn't appreciate the musicianship that was there.  Just hearing that band name brings back memories ... I'm gonna give that disc another listen!

walkman

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 06:46:00 pm »
Originally posted by thirsty moore:
  They've got an excellent anthology out on DeSoto, I believe, called My Scrapbook of Fatal Accidents.  In high school I remember hearing HFS play their version of Tori Amos' "Cornflake Girl" occasionally.  As far as DC punk goes, they were tops.

Burning Airlines, the band that formed from the splintered Jawbox, was also good.  But nowhere near what Jawbox was.
"My Scrapbook" is great, but not to be confused with a best-of...it's just a collection of rarities and some live stuff.  As far as LPs go, I think both Novelty and For Your Own Special Sweetheart are really excellent.  Kos, you might really dig their stuff...its definitely DC punk, but with an amazing ear for melody.