Author Topic: e-music = sucks  (Read 6697 times)

redsock

e-music = sucks
« on: October 11, 2010, 11:21:49 pm »
So, i've been on e-music for some time, partially because i love the way their credit system worked. And i have rollover credit privileges.  Now, that is all changing. In November they revert to a dollar system. What does that mean to me?

I now pay $11.99  month and get 30 credits, which is pretty close to a credit per song, though some albums are more or less, but not many. Now, assuming their estimation that most songs more than a year old would be $.49 a track, I'll get 24 songs a month, less if i want new stuff. Even with the $2 "bonus" I get 28 at best.

This all but assures a cancellation of my subscription. They talk about their new subscription system in the same e-mail they talk about adding 250,000 Universal songs. Coincidence? I'm fine with keeping the top 40 crap off of e-music if it keeps costs down. But I also realize the top 40 crap pays the bills, so, I'm shit out of luck. But I do think the way they framed this all makes it seem like Universal is the reason this pricing shifted. Which isn't a good way to do it.

Anyone else perturbed by this sudden change in policy?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
Re: e-music = sucks
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 07:40:23 am »
Totally agree on the eMusic credit system, I liked the not having to think about what something actually cost. Right now I'm very lucky that my two year sub renewed right before the last price increase so my 16 cent cost per track is still in effect under the credit system, and with the 12 credit album pricing I can really stretch those 90 credits out on occasion.  i.e. 22 tracks for 12 credits with some of the soul music re-issues downloaded of late.   I'm thinking that with the currency model, not so much anymore.  Especially since it appears under the new system my current cost per track has risen.

eMusic  is where I get 90% of my music nowadays, it's fun to browse through the new releases finding interesting new albums to download, ones outside the standard Pitchfork approved indie rock.   With record stores so few and far between in these parts, I just don't have the time or energy to go through bins anymore.  Maybe I'll just not renew my subs and focus on buying my MP3s direct from now on...
T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2010, 11:54:16 am »
Frankly, I'm shocked they're still in business considering how long they've held the line on the credit plan.  I guess enough people like me who didn't use their credits cancelled and they were left with folks like Kosmo and Redsock - and that's just not sustainable.
27>34

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2010, 08:55:21 pm »
Oct's @emusic haul 7 albums with 150+ tracks  (two year sub)  Nov's haul with new pricing will be 5 albums or less.  Gee Thanks

What amuses is all the comments about how this indie site is being destroyed by more major label content.  If it were truly a indie site, the occasional CDBaby distributed album would chart instead of the usually generic indie rock bands of the month constantly in favor on the site.   
T.Rex

azaghal1981

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 09:14:35 pm »
Why doesn't  someone just set up a sight that allows unlimited downloads and provides albums in multiple formats (including lossless flac and alac) for a monthly fee? It'll have to get to that eventually. Any label with good business sense would be all about distributing their material like that. I would pay for a legitimate equivalent to any of the well-set up invite-only torrent sites  to support the artists I like if such a service existed.

احمد

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 09:43:36 pm »
emusic offered unlimited downloads briefly when it was owned by Vivendi-Universal, needless to say it didn't exactly make money....

T.Rex

vansmack

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 12:41:38 am »
Why doesn't  someone just set up a sight that allows unlimited downloads and provides albums in multiple formats (including lossless flac and alac) for a monthly fee? It'll have to get to that eventually. Any label with good business sense would be all about distributing their material like that. I would pay for a legitimate equivalent to any of the well-set up invite-only torrent sites  to support the artists I like if such a service existed.

Would you support FLAC with DRM?   Because that's the only way you're going to see this.  Unfortunately, the general pubilc have shown that they are not willing to pay a "legitimate equivalent" for something they can have for free.

If you don't want FLAC, Rhapsody and Napster have unlimited album downloads for a monthly fee.  And have for years...
27>34

walkonby

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 10:50:12 am »
"supporting the artist"

now that's a good one.  i've heard fucking everything now.

Jaguar

• Air Atlantic Underground
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 04:36:44 pm »
^ You've got that right!

Can't speak for eMusic or some of the other companies mentioned here but I have a musician friend who told me that they've yet to see one red cent from all their music sold via iTunes.

Bags

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:16:33 pm »
I'm likely out as well.  And Redsock, I think they are not even hiding that the Universal adds is the motivating factor behind the change to their payment system.  They scaled back the credit allotments in each program the last time they added a lot of major label catalogue  -- very specifically related changes. 

My one question -- with the currency change, will they now roll them over month to month?  It was a weird deal with the credits, but I felt it was the bargain for the relatively low cost.  I let some credits go unused many times.  I also downloaded things I never would have purchased otherwise in order to use credits, and because I wasn't thinking about 'costs,' but of using my given allotment.  And that was something that added to the cool factor -- sure, I'll try that Field Music cd.  And sometimes I found albums I now love.

I think I'm locked in until my annual program runs out, next March or so.  Then bye bye.  I don't need some monthly plan to get Universal stuff.

Redsock, how on earth do you get to rollover credits month to month?

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »
Interesting, eMusic has upped the loyalty bonus, so now depending on the cost of the albums, I can  get up to 8 album downloads, this feels like a shift in the right direction...  Am very curious as to how this will carry over to a new plan.
T.Rex

kosmo vinyl

• Administrator
    • Hi-Fi Pop
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:24 pm »
Also under the new system one is allowed to only carry over loose change it's under the cost of a track i.e.

US example:
If you have 51 cents it will NOT carry over. You can purchase any .49 track. That will be deducted from the album price for a Complete Album Discount. The remaining .02 will carry over.

If you have 50 cents or 49 cents it will not carry over.
If you have .48 or less it will carry over.

The header and the account page will tell you if your balance is loose change that will carry over
T.Rex

Vas Deferens

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 11:21:20 am »
Domino, Merge, and Beggars Group (that includes Matador, XL, and 4AD) leaving emusic effective tomorrow.

RIP emusic
(_|_)

Bags

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 11:25:58 am »
News of the Merge and Beggars loss are likely the end of my subscription, though alas I may be stuck until March as I'm an annual subscriber.  VERY frustrated.  Just sent this email to eMusic:

Couple of questions -- so my account refreshes in the same way and every 30 days I lose any money I have not used?  Now that this is listed as actual dollars and cents credits, this approach is disturbing.  Particularly as the date of the refresh has not been available in my account information for about a year -- 'guessing' is a lot more frustrating now with more expensive tracks and the remainder an actual dollar amount.

The only date in My Account is when my plan expires, not my monthly music credit expiration date.  If this date does not become transparent, I need to find out how to cancel my plan and receive a refund for the months not used.  My annual plan converts March 8, 2011.

[Note that my audiobooks refresh date is available, but not my monthly music refresh date.]

Nancy Bagot
nancy_bagot@yahoo.com (annual subscription member for 6 or 7 years)

Bags

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:58 am »
From Matador:

Matador and eMusic
November 17th, 2010 at 9:57 am by Gerard

As you might have read elsewhere, the Matador Records catalog will no longer be available via eMusic as of November 18.

This is unfortunate, but as eMusic has brought more major labels into the fold,  they have changed the terms on which they deal with labels, some of which we have found impossible to accept, in our own interests, those of our artists, and ultimately those of their fans.

We?re grateful for the support Matador has received from eMusic in the past.

Matador?s catalog will continue to be available via many other great sites and stores. We encourage you to visit them.